Fender Telecaster Deluxe

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by m4tt, Jul 14, 2006.

1. m4tt

m4tt Member

Did the original Fender Telecaster Deluxe (I think '72 - '81) ever come in Olympic White?

I'm really gassing for one, with the original wide range pups and strat headstock...

I don't want walnut, black, or sunburst.

2. m4tt

m4tt Member

Found a limited run Arctic White 72 Telecaster Deluxe on musiciansfriend...hmmm... the 12" radius looks tempting

3. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

I had a '74 in black. Also had two '72 Tele Customs in natural finish. I do not htink the original Deluxes came in Olympic WHite. I never saw one anyway. Walnut and Black were the most common colors I saw.

4. m4tt

m4tt Member

5. Anode

Anode Member

It will sound a bit different than an original. The reissue pickups are different; some people like 'em and some hate 'em. Neck is different; the reissue has a 12" radius (I think) and the originals actually had a smaller radius stratocaster neck. Frets are different, too. The reissue has the standard medium jumbos, but the originals had those low wide frets.

Tone is subjective, but to me there was no comparison with the original Seth Lover pickups. I was able to compare the reissue pickups with the originals when I had both a reissue '72 thinline and an original Tele Dlx. I personally prefer jumbo frets, so I wound up replacing the neck on my '72 deluxe with a '72 strat neck with jumbo frets.

However, on the plus side, the neck pocket on the reissue is much tighter than the average 3-bolt Fender made in the 70's, and they are significantly cheaper than the originals which are now entering "vintage" territory.

There was a lot of discussion about the differences when the reissues first came out on the Fender discussion board. You might want to go there and do a search.

6. BMX

BMX Supporting Member

My brother has a white one.

7. m4tt

m4tt Member

Thanks tons for the information.

The only thing kinda holding me back from the RI is the pickups. I notice that Rio Grande does replacements, but thats all I could find.

I will check the fender forums as well :)

8. BMX

BMX Supporting Member

I should say though that they are rare, and that it might have been only made as a custom color.

9. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Let us know if you get to check out the Rio p/u's. I've never heard of any others that fit in the big bucker slot. I keep my eyes open for people parting with original Seth Lover WR's, but there seem to be fewer available lately.
    I got a reissue in Walnut, but had it painted white(snowflake pearl). Somehow, mine has jumbo frets - BONUS! I like em. I've seen a few originals on ebay(before there was a RI) in white and a couple in "Antigua" which to me, is ugly as sin.

10. m4tt

m4tt Member

What's your take on the RI? ...I thought they all had medium jumbo frets.

11. Oggy

Oggy Member

I acquired a 74 Deluxe (original) off of eBay about a month or so ago, and instantly fell in love with it. Mine is a refinish though. I don't know what the original color was, but I suspect it was walnut. I was seriously considering a reissue, but I just didn't want to compromise by purchasing something that was lacking in quality, reliability and tone -- which I feel the Mexican and Indonesian teles are too often hit and miss.

My understanding is that Fender made a limited run in Japan in the early '80s but are much harder to find than many other Fender models that are Made or Crafted in Japan. I own a CIJ '72 Thinline and it is wonderful. The PUs and the overall tone in general is distinctly different -- in seemingly the same pickup design, yet one is original and one is CIJ. I would expect that a Mex or Indonesian is much the same experience (but potentially even greater difference).

[​IMG]

12. m4tt

m4tt Member

purdy, made my GAS even worse. There's one on the 'bay right now with a refinish (white) and tons of other work, but the seller claims it plays pretty well now. Needless to say, I'm watching it like a hawk. (I want a player, not a collector's peice)

13. Oggy

Oggy Member

That is exactly the reason I bought this one. Refinished Deluxes go for about a grand or two less than the original finishes. Collectors don't want them, but players find themselves with a piece of history that plays like a classic, without the high ticket price.

Mine will increase in value over time -- not as quickly as an original finish -- and in the mean time, I'll play its heart out. That's what it was made for anyways.

Happy hunting!

14. glaswerks

glaswerks Gold Supporting Member

I had an original '73 Tele Deluxe (bought it new in 73) and at that time, they were available only in Black, Walnut brown (no grain) and Sunburst.

I hated that guitar. I thought those pickups (staggered pole humbuckers) largely sucketh. Of course wouldn't you know, if I sell an item, it is guaranteed to go up in value. But it did have a REALLY nice neck.

Of course this is only my opinion.

Gary

15. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I think it's a great guitar! It feels good. Chunky neck, big frets (The frets on mine are bigger than the RI's I've played at a few guitar shops, and bigger than those on my 70's RI strat). I love the aesthetic, and the pickups are not that bad. I've played a few originals. The originals have more bite, and higher output, and yes, I really would like a set of original pickups, but overall, I'm very happy with the guitar.

[​IMG]