Fender Telecaster Severe Microphonic Problems Need Help Urgently!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 7endertelecast, Feb 22, 2009.

1. 7endertelecast

7endertelecast Member

Hi guys my Fender Highway one telecaster used to play like a dream then I got serious microphonic problems on the bridge pickup and just got that fixed 3 weeks ago everything seemed fine until and band practise I cranked up the volume and the gain expecting to hear things like they used to be when that horrible scream comes back even worse than before. I am quite sure its not the pickups after getting them fixed it seems that during high gain if I tap on the volume, tone knobs and any of the metal there you can certainly here it and it adds to the squeel this is the same with the bridge. And also on the volume knob and I turn it up half way there is lots of fuzz then that goes when I reach full volume which is never a good sign. Gig on Friday have no others guitars, I need someone's expertise quickly. Thankyou

PS- my technical skills are not very good at all when it comes to fixing a guitar or understanding the electronics so try to keep it simple.thanks

2. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

It's not an easy thing to fix on a Tele, especially if you play loud rock music. Traditional Tele single coil designs are very prone to microphonic feedback at high gain/volume levels. Some tricks I know - re-pot the pickup, use rubber tubing on the bridge pickup instead of metal springs (if you don't already have that arrangement), put some foam material in the the bridge pickup cavity to limit any pickup movement. You may also have a grounding issue - this might mean that your bridge pickup ground wire may not be soldered properly to the back of the volume pot; so have a look at that too. See this for a rough reference:
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1953_tele
    Ruling out any grounding issue, you may find that you do (or have already done) all the other things and the problem will still be there. I've been through this about 3 times and in the end just decided to use the single coil bridge pickups on most of my Teles for clean and lower gain playing. I know why Tony Iommi potted his P-90 pickup on his early SG in epoxy - because high gain tone + a single coil is difficult to work with at high volume levels. An alternative is to look into getting a single coil-sized humbucker like a GFS Lil' Killer or something similar. I did this on one of mine and it solved all my problems when playing high gain stuff.

3. Home Grown Tele

Home Grown Tele Member

If you have a baseplate on the bridge pickup check and see if it's come loose.

If so heat it with a soldering iron and press it back into the wax between it and the bottom of the pickup bobbin. That may help reduce or eliminate the microphonics. Most times that's what is causing the microphonics.

4. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

Your bridge pickup has become microphonic.

There are a couple of fixes you can try but there are no guarantees.

Repot the pickup

Stabilize the front edge of the bridge itself with some hot wax or by drilling a hole in the front edge and screwing it down so it can't vibrate.