Fender Tele's... any good production models?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by studio8000, Nov 29, 2005.

1. studio8000

studio8000 Member

hi ya'll.
    just wondering if any of you know of a good production line telecaster by Fender besides the Standard, Am Standard, and deluxe line. and not Custom shop. signature models that are good perhaps? for strats seems like people like the EJ strat and some the J Mayer, and E Clapton... which are production line guitars but better quality than the standard line.
    so i'm wondering if there is anything like that for Tele's. not as pricey as Custom shop, but better than standards.

2. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

In my opinion, the 50s Classic series Teles are more to my liking than the USA versions.

And they're cheaper.

I had a US Reissue 52 Tele and my Classic blew it away. I now own a Nocaster and, although it is a beautiful guitar, I don't know that it is 4 times the guitar the Classic was.

3. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

I've got a '52 RI from the mid-90's and it's a thoroughly professional instrument. It's light, vibrant with natural twang to spare. I did replace the stock fender saddles with brass intonatable versions, though (Stew Mac sells them). I think a good tele ALWAYS sounds like a tele when played acoustically. Let that be a guide in your search, sudio8000, and don't be married to custom shop or boutique necessarily.

Best,

Gary

4. glynn

glynn Member

I just picked up a MIK lite ash tele, and it's pretty smokin for the cash. Good pup's, and I like the neck a ton.

It fits the bill for now.

5. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

I've got a '52 RI from the early '90's, the *only* thing i would change about it is the finish on the body(mabe compensated saddles as well but i'm not sold yet), it's pretty thick but that is it, sounds perfect and plays perfect. when i bought it i had to play a few (around 20, '52RI and other model teles) till i settled on this one. many were quite good, but mine stood out a bit. It probably didn't hurt that it was set up the way i like it. i changed the wiring to modern specs and other than that it's bone stock.

i think it would stand up (sonically) to any tele out there.

6. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

Muddy Waters Tele

It's MIM but uses American vintage pickups

It's like a 50s ash tele with a 60s style neck (chunkier than the American series but not baseball bat chunky) but with flatter radius and medium frets.

It has the traditional ashtray bridge w/ brass saddles

Fender's best bang for the buck, IMO.

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Anybody ever bump across the Merle Haggard Tele?

8. studio8000

studio8000 Member

i had a '52 reissue and it was cool. but from what i remember the frets were pretty small. same thing with the 62 tele custom. i was hoping that there was one out there with slightly larger frets like 6105 or something.

9. s_brink

s_brink Member

I played a ton of them at a local shop. I grabbed so many that I really stopped paying attention to model names and origins.

My favorite by far was a Hwy 1. They had a few of them and quality and vibe was different between even those. I found a sunburst that I really bonded with and had some Antiquities put in it and have been very happy with it.

Shortly after they got a new Anderson Hollow T Classic that was just rediculously good. Lots of diminishing returns debates at nearly 3 times what I payed for the Fender, pickups and a case, but I still feel good about the Hwy 1 purchase and intend to keep it. The Anderson was probably only twice as good as the Fender.;)

10. Ciroxin

Ciroxin Member

I love my 52 AVRI

11. Redrum

Redrum Member

Sold my American Standard Ash Tele and kept my Baja. When I reach for a Tele, it's the Baja for me.

12. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Suhr Classic T
    Way beyond any Tele incl. CS.

13. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

If you're comfortable with vintage spec it's hard to beat a good USA 52 reissue. Mine is a '99 I think. Very light, very resonant. I did ditch the original pickups, though there was really nothing wrong with them. I just wanted a little more juice while still sounding every bit a Tele. I have a Zhangbucker Paul Bunyan in the bridge and a Fralin SP43 in the neck. Great combination and it just oozes high octane Tele tone. I also spent some time de-glossing the fretboard. The fretwork itself is some of the best I've seen on a production Fender. One of the few guitars I've bought that needed no fret leveling or dressing. I also added some of the angled brass saddles for better intonation. Just a great Tele and a main stage guitar.

14. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

What a shame FMIC dropped this fine model.

At this point starting from say zero Teles, I would look at the James Burton Standard and the Classic Player Baja as needing the fewest parts changes. Just the usual set up and attention to the nut and frets. And replace the jack prong (heavier Switchcraft) and probably the jack cup itself.

These MIM Burtons are hard to find. It is possible you'd find an NOS Muddy Waters while looking for the Burton, but most likely you'll find and buy a nice Baja.

15. LReese

LReese Member

There was a recent thread on the American Deluxe - I didn't read it thoroughly but I remember it was positive... Was started by Lucidology I think.

You're going to be able to find good ones on all price levels - you'll just have to play as many as possible. If you're looking for an possible alternative by another maker then maybe a Suhr Pro T. I'm not all that much of a Tele guy - but love the bridge PU sound.

16. VA_siCkBoy

VA_siCkBoy Silver Supporting Member

I just picked up this limited special run Telecaster Deluxe for $699....it's made in Mexico and the build quality is excellent.

[​IMG]

17. Binaural

Binaural Supporting Member

American Vintage "Thin Skin" '52 Reissue Tele, nice "U" neck, 9.5 radius, 6105 frets, Nocaster Pickups, great all around guitars!

18. SteveO

SteveO Member

I have a Highway 1 and an American Special, both were under $800 new. The Special has become my personal favorite.

19. Martin82

Martin82 Member

60s classic series is a great guitar.

20. ptecat

ptecat Member

What about the HWY1 Texas Tele?

There is one at the local Mom & Pop store that I intend to check out. Its been hanging on the wall for a while.