• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fender Texas special tele pups, HELP!!!

samdjr74

Silver Supporting Member
Hi All,

I'm in the middle of building a tele project and I decided to go with a set of the Texas special pickups for it. Here's my problem, the neck pick up has 3 wires, I'm used to only two. Can I wire this p with only two wires and either cut one off or solder it to another wire coming from the pick up?

Thanks,
Sam

Teleman

Silver Supporting Member
The third wire on your neck pickup is the ground wire for the cover. Just solder the cover ground wire to the volume pot and you'll be good to go.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
And let us know your thoughts on these pups after you've installed them!
S.j

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
No way, don't waste that 3rd wire! Use it with a 4 way switch to add both PUPs in series for a fat humbuckerish extra tone option. I wire all of my two single coil axes that way. You lose nothing/only gain.

samdjr74

Silver Supporting Member
Hi Jon,

I'm going for a 52 type reproduction so for now I'm going to wire it up with a stanard 3 way and maybe some day down the road change it to a four way.

Thanks,
sam

Unburst

The Texas Special Tele pup is a thing of beauty and the bridge pup is fat enough to be versatile and still twang, they are also hum cancelling in the middle pos.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by samdjr74
Hi Jon,

I'm going for a 52 type reproduction so for now I'm going to wire it up with a stanard 3 way and maybe some day down the road change it to a four way.

Thanks,
sam
I don't understand your response. My own Tele is a Fender '52 RI. The guitar is visually indistinguishable from stock with the 4-way.

Again, you gain much, lose nothing.

samdjr74

Silver Supporting Member
Good point but I already have my control plate wired up with a 3 way so I'll try it out like a stock 52.

samdjr74

Silver Supporting Member
And let us know your thoughts on these pups after you've installed them!
I love these pick ups, they have that real tele sound with a littl bit of bite to them. On a clean channel you can tell right away that you have a tele but run them with some gain and they open up to a really thick sound but still retain the tele tone. For what these cost me I hink they are well worth the price.

Thanks,
Sam

Trending Topics