1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fender "The Twin" amp red knobs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Steve Lewis, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Steve Lewis

Steve Lewis Member

Can anyone tell me about this amp, it is not on the Fender web site. I saw Guitar Shorty last night and he was using two of them on stage. Loud with a nice tone.

2. stratopastor

stratopastor Member

I've never been near one. The word on the web is, the red knob range appeared after the Rivera-era Fenders (so about 1987). They were Fender's first attempt at non-point-to-point tube amps and seem to have a reputation for poor reliability plus being difficult to mantain. Your best bet is to restart this thread and put John Philips' name in the title - he seems to have actual first-hand experience. As I said, I'm just passing on an impression from what others have written and am very ready to be corrected...

best wishes

SP

3. just ken

just ken Member

If you check out the John Mayhall 70th Birthday dvd, Mick Taylor is playing a Les Paul through one of these and he sounds fantastic. I got the DVD b/c of a thread on this forum mentioned that Mayhall's current guitar player smoked Eric Clapton. Now, when I go back to watch that DVD it's solely to hear Mick Taylor.

Anyway, a friend of mine has the Super 60 1x12 combo from that era and it sounds great, but he's had it in the shop for total meltdowns several times--really big repairs. I'm not a tech, so I can't really comment, but I remember having him describe to me what they had to do to get it running again and I as surprised.

4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

It's been a long time since I used one but they did not sound the same as trad Fenders to me, so, if you really want the classic tones try to A/B the two types first.

5. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

They are pretty good sounding amps,I use to Play with Guitar Shorty,and yeah he can get both of those amps pretty loud,He hasn,t had a lot of problems with his.:D

6. DoobieK

DoobieK Member

I owned and gigged with one for a year or so. I was not able to turn it up loud enough to get a big, clean sound out of it. The volume was always so low it sounded kind of thin and weak, even in 25 watt mode. We played a really big room and a couple outdoor gigs with it and when I could turn it up, it sounded nice.

The distortion channel sounded like crap to me. This was before I knew about tube swapping, speaker replacements and the like. If I had swapped some tubes, who knows?

For my uses, I got a good clean sound by plugging into the parallel input and adjusted all 1,000 knobs on the amp. After a while, I got tired of all the knobs and still having to use pedals for good sounding distortions, so I sold it and bought a RI 65 Twin. Better clean sounds and fewer knobs to get there.

We gigged 2-3 weekends per month and never had a reliability issue with the amp.

7. clunk

clunk Member

I just got rid of one not too long ago. Personally i thought it had a good clean sound. The one i had was VERY loud. I never had a problem with mine but have heard all kinds of stories on them as far as reliability. Main reason i got rid of it is i have a few vintage fenders and personally like the sound of them more for my style of playing.

Clunk

8. charley

charley Supporting Member

I used to have one. I gigged with it for awhile. I don't miss it. The sound was not great, they were heavy, and the distortion channel sucked. And it didn't sound good cranked. I never had a problem with it, and have never missed it.

9. oscar100

oscar100 Member

they were rubbish -

distortion channel was really bad and clean channel only came alive when played loud enough to kill passing small animals

i worked for fender uk in 87 so no them well - yuk

and soooooo heavy

:rolleyes:

10. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I have to agree with everyone else. I gigged with one for a few years in the 90's. Good, but not great clean sound, the distortion channel stunk, and it was too loud and too heavy. I never had any dependability problems and it was gigged a lot.

Having said that, I always got compliments on my tone. I used it with a Roland GP8 and the clean channel was a good for using it with that effects unit with the GP8 generating all the distortion/overdrive. So on it's own, the amp is nothing special, but as the basis for an effects based tone it worked really well.

11. mzeppo

mzeppo Guest

I owned and played one of these for several years. They are super heavy, and super loud. The clean is great. You could use it for pedal steel even. The dirty channel gets a great lead tone if you tweak it right. It's not good for dirty chord work or any kind of metal sound. Great blues amp.

I know that David Lindley is really into this amp. And Robben Ford uses one of these when a Dumble isn't available. His "simple" rig is a Fender "The Twin" red-knob, a Moogerfooger delay, and a TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flange pedal.

12. DoobieK

DoobieK Member

LOL!

13. CryBaby

CryBaby Member

I also love the sound from Taylor on that DVD.
    I'v ben trying to find a Super60, for a long time. Now i finally got one for peanuts. And in mint condition too.:BEER

[​IMG]

Tried it at last rehearsal, with the band.
    Feel free to listen to some clips, recorded with 2 mikes hanging at the wall.
    Sample1
    Sample2

14. edward

edward Supporting Member

Hey Crybaby,

So is the only way it sounds good is if you dime all the controls?
    :D

Edward

15. CryBaby

CryBaby Member

Heheh !
    I would not be in front of it when dimed.:nono

16. rongtr

rongtr Member

I think these amps get a bad rap. I currently own one (I've had it since 92) No problems at all, and yes, I like the overdrive in it. And Robben Ford did use one for quite a while as well when he couldn't take his Dumble. I don't think he uses one now, though.

17. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

They are decent amps if you like the tone. The only drawback is that Fender didn't use military grade circuit boards on them and they are out of production so you can't replace the board if there is a problem. If you like it and it's not going to cost a fortune just use it and take a little extra care when moving it.

I really don't like anyone moving my gear unless it's in a roadcase. I've seen too many guys just drop something to the floor that's heavy.