Fender "The Twin" red knob ...info?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by edward, Jun 11, 2019.

1. edward

edward Supporting Member

Yeah, I read up on em on the web, or at least tried to search out what I could. I just got one --gratis from a buddy-- and the input jacks are noisy (one squeals louuudly when plugged into!), missing two knobs, and sounds like one of the 12s has a torn cone when you raise the volume ...otherwise all functions to do work. A bit cosmetically challenged, too. So help me, guys:

1. Are these red-knob variants fairly easy to work on? ...the easy stuff like pots and jacks, that is.
    2. Is this amp worth anything as is? ...or maybe maybe estimate street worth (say, on CL) if I can clean up the jacks and the like?

FWIW, my band mate gave it to me so I'm not trying to "make" money as much as I'd like to recoup some expenses that I had personally shelled out for WRT our band PA. Any help on repair and/or valuation would be greatly appreciated! :)

Edward

2. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

Not a bad amp, for what it is. It's no '65 Reissue, but it's a perfectly fine, powerful pedal platform.
    Doesn't deserve the bad rap it gets.

3. edward

edward Supporting Member

Cool, thanks for that! I got the input jacks to quiet down, but still sounds like a torn speaker when turned up pretty loud.

Any other thoughts welcome, especially on street value for CL. Should I start at 3 bills? Is this something GC would take for store credit?

Edward

4. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

I have The Twin, but mine is the regular knobs (not red), have had it since 1992, I actually love mine, played in a few bands with it over the years, it works and has never been an issue.
    I don’t know what differences exist between the red knob model and the regular knob model. Is the amp worth anything, I’d say yeah, have seen them go for around $500.

5. edward

edward Supporting Member

Thanks! ...gonna list it! :)

Edward

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Dave, at Dave's Guitar Shop is always looking for them. I think he'd be happy to buy it at a fair price.

DiPa likes this.
  7. DiPa

If he is serious I may let mine go...

8. drbob1

I found one for $300? at Sam Ash in Nashville and he was happy to pay me for it, and a little to wet my beak as well. So, he's paying wholesale fair prices, but he's not trying to steal them.

9. DiPa

Nah, I could not do $300 and really cause mine is super clean and all...I wonder if the $300 ones are beat up?

10. drbob1

The one in Nashville was OK, no real problems. They're just not easy to sell. I agree that $500 is probably retail and maybe $400 wholesale? It won't cost you much to call him up and ask if he's interested and what he'd pay...

DiPa likes this.
  11. DiPa

I just checked some online for sale, the price is everywhere, guess it depends on condition.

12. edward

edward Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip, but ain't no stinkin way I'm shipping this beast ...seriously heavy beast that makes my Boogie feel light :D

Local to Los Angeles it goes. Thanks again, gents! :)

Edward

13. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

They are full of what most techs would term "junk" parts as in plastic jacks, cheap pots and components. And don't they have a lot of tubes?? I can't remember... Anyway, Robben Ford used one a LOT back in the day and still does in europe I believe. Jim from the Mermen uses several of them exclusively. If you want a super loud kinda versatile amp, it's a a good one. I wouldn't give over $200 for it, you'll NEVER get your money out of it. Even though they were once the flagship, they are basically worthless today. In fact, a Peavey Classic 30 would be worth twice as much, I'd figure, on the open market.

Kelly and DiPa like this.
  14. DiPa

People will pay what they think it’s worth and if they want one, they are great to keep at your rehearsal room or keep them at a Venue you play at, these amps are Fender monsters with huge loud tones, if R.Ford digs them, they are ok. Mine has never failed. It’s still super clean and every once in a while I take it out. I checked some sites and see them in the $300 - $600 range, and for a big tube amp, this is bloody cheap. They were around $1K new, so about half that price for a clean one ain’t bad.

15. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

The "Red Knob" Fender amps were a cut corners build of an amp.

There was a discussion on another forum years ago, and one of the posters had been an engineer that was involved in the design of those amps.

The management at Fender wanted a tube amp BUT at the lowest cost possible to manufacture.

I bought one of the Super models (a Super 210) locally for $175, extremely clean shape.
    Not a great amp at all, the clean channel's output was drastically lower than the dirty channel (this is typical of those amps). The issue could be fixed, but it wasn't worth it for the cost.

I sold the amp and made a slight profit off of it.

There have been some people that really like those amps (I'm not one of them), and can usually be bought cheaply.

16. edward

edward Supporting Member

Yeah, I dig. Again, not trying to make serious money out of it as much as I just want to recoup some cash for gear I had picked up for the band. I listed here and on CL if anyone is interested. :)

Edward

17. drbob1

Local sale sounds perfect! Someone who wants a pedal platform at their rehearsal space, maybe.

18. DiPa

I listed mine on Reverb, it’s mint, local pick up.

19. blackba

blackba Member

Hope it sells, my buddy has not been able to move his for months. I did work on it, let’s just say I have worked on amps that were more difficult inside. On his it needed a cap job as a bunch of the caps had exploded, its running well now. Cool amp, but I prefer my friends vintage 69 twin reverb.

DiPa likes this.
  20. DiPa

It’s a great amp, it will do the job nicely, I will wait patiently, someone is going to want a mint one.

blackba likes this.