Fender TMDS and TMSR - which (if either) would be a good fit for me?

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
Looking at the Fender Tone Master amps in the two threads for the TMDR and TMSR models. I'm a at home player these days and have some nice tube amps. Which of these would be a good fit for me? I know they both have power scaling which should help for just playing in my music room. I haven't been much of a solid state fan, but I've read and watched a lot videos talking positively the sounds of these I'm wondering if we are past this part of the debate.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

MIke MM

Looking at the Fender Tone Master amps in the two threads for the TMDR and TMSR models. I'm a at home player these days and have some nice tube amps. Which of these would be a good fit for me? I know they both have power scaling which should help for just playing in my music room. I haven't been much of a solid state fan, but I've read and watched a lot videos talking positively the sounds of these I'm wondering if we are past this part of the debate.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated.
The TMDR's attenuator goes to .2, so you can get break up sounds at a lower volume. The Super probably a fuller sound with the 4 speakers.

Will any product, you have to go try them yourselves, but...

As I have said elsewhere:

I always wanted to collect classic Fender amps as I got older, and finally can afford to. But as a home player can't use the wattage or volume the tube versions have.

I have the TMDR, a Blonde TMTR, and have ordered the Super (I know, I'm a sucker for these).

The fact that they have attenuators (for home level volume) and that they don't need maintenance, and yet look and feel like the classic amps I remember, is killer for me

Dontchaknow

Silver Supporting Member
Of course trying them is best but if you have preferred one of the tube versions, mainly due to speaker configuration and how it sounds in the situations you will be using it, and how it breaks up at volume, i think its pretty safe to assume you will prefer that TM as well. They did a great job of modeling attenuation (power tube breakup) rather than master volume/preamp breakup.

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
The TMDR's attenuator goes to .2, so you can get break up sounds at a lower volume. The Super probably a fuller sound with the 4 speakers.

Will any product, you have to go try them yourselves, but...

As I have said elsewhere:

I always wanted to collect classic Fender amps as I got older, and finally can afford to. But as a home player can't use the wattage or volume the tube versions have.

I have the TMDR, a Blonde TMTR, and have ordered the Super (I know, I'm a sucker for these).

The fact that they have attenuators (for home level volume) and that they don't need maintenance, and yet look and feel like the classic amps I remember, is killer for me
I've had the tube version of this amp a couple of times but hated how it sounded with overdrive pedals. After seeing you can update the firmware to remove the brightcap, it really caught my attention. The other is the ability to play at home and have it sound good without rattling the windows.

Looks like the TMDR version may be what I may try.

MIke MM

I've had the tube version of this amp a couple of times but hated how it sounded with overdrive pedals. After seeing you can update the firmware to remove the brightcap, it really caught my attention. The other is the ability to play at home and have it sound good without rattling the windows.

Looks like the TMDR version may be what I may try.
Yeah do the update that takes away the Bright Cap and the one that makes the Reverb more gradual. Both highly recommended.

Dontchaknow

Silver Supporting Member
Yes you can update it, but then it's always off, which you may prefer especially with OD pedals. I generally recommend the Twin just because it has the bright cap on a switch (which all amps with a bright cap should). There are definitely times when i like the bright cap on, depending on guitar, etc. I believe the SR is on a switch as well for the TM. The reverb update is awesome.

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
How do you know what version of firmware is on the amp? I’m assuming you can always update to the original version if you don’t like the version you install, correct?

MIke MM

How do you know what version currently on the amp though?
You can see on the links above, which have the original Firmware, (which they call "vintage)

I believe the Deluxe ship with the Bright Cap and non gradual reverb:

• Vintage accurate firmware based on vintage and 65 Reissue tube amplifiers.
  • Stock firmware loaded on Tone Master Deluxe Reverb amplifiers with Jensen N12K speaker.
  • Jensen N12K speaker line out IRs captured with Shure SM57 and Royer 121 microphones.

The Twins have a Bright Cap switch, so with them, just the non gradual reverb:

• Vintage accurate firmware based on vintage and 65 Reissue tube amplifiers.
  • Stock firmware loaded on Tone Master Twin Reverb amplifiers with Jensen N12K speakers.
  • Jensen N12K speaker line out IRs captured with Shure SM57 and Royer 121 microphones

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
I have the TMDR. If I were starting from scratch I'd go with the TMSR because:

• Easy access bright switch
  • Mids control!
  • Four speakers are betterer than one

Having said that, the TMDR is a very nice amp too.
You're not making this easier ;) Even for just using at home?

Trending Topics