Fender to Gibson -Help be answer some questions.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by squeally dan, Mar 13, 2008.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Traded a strat for this GIbson and finally got ahold of it last night. It's an ES-333. I'm gigging with a strat that I think will remian my number one, but would like to use the GIbby to get some more sounds.

First, I've mainly been using Fenders for several years. This Gibson feels a bit strange. The neck palys nice. It seems like with the top strap lock on the back of the body it just sits a bit weird. NOt quite as comfortable as a strat. Will I get used to this?

Also, single coils work best for the majorityof the dance/R&B stuff that we play. What a coil split be worth installing to add a bit of versatility?

The pickups have already been upgraded to Gibson classics. Are there any other changes I should consider making? Seems to stay in tune fairly well.

THANKS!

2. sqadan

sqadan Member

Conrgatulations on your new 335...

I think you'll get used to the feel of the Gibson, it's never going to be quite as comfortable as your Strats as they were designed for comfort.

I Think some 335 players have the strap button moved from the back to the top of the upper bout to increase balance... a competent guitar tech could probably do that for you.

You could have a coil splitter installed - or you could just roll off the volume a bit to clean up the sound if that's what you are after.

3. 8Painting

8Painting Member

Man, thats a great looking guitar, did you buff that out to a shine? I cant tell.

4. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I got it in a trade from another TGP'er. He did some kind of buffing to it. It does look really good.

Its a 333, not a 335.

5. jrw32

jrw32 Member

Love the natural mahogany look of that one!

6. markophonic

markophonic Member

You will NEVER get used to it...

So I may as well take it off your hands for $100.00!

:)

7. Tadams

Tadams Silver Supporting Member

That looks real good in brown. I have a blonde 333.
    Do you like the top-wrapped tailpiece?

8. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I'm hoping it will be a keeper.

9. bynt

bynt Member

This is just me (coming from the same boat-Fender to Gibson) but I'd just leave it. I've never found splitting coils to sound really like a true single coil (MHO) and I totally got used to the wierd feel in a couple of weeks. I like my Les Paul for stuff that the strat can't do. It's really been cool to like both guitars. I didn't know if I would bond with the Gibson as much as I have. I'm with you, my strat will always be my "bomb track" guitar, but I love the Les Paul, too.

10. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I was playing it at lunch and I like it. The humbuckers sound good for heavier stuff, but I don't do that much heacy stuff. For a clean sound, I think I lean more towards single coils.

11. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Instead of the coil taps- you've already got a Strat, right?- I'd suggest swapping out the Classics for a total PAF clone including unpotted coils (which let through pick attack which modern humbuckers typically don't) or something with mismatched coils like Fralin's Unbuckers. The point is to give you the "weight" of the humbucker, but with a brighter, more cutting tone. Also, make sure everything in the control cavity tests to spec, Gibson's QC on pots and caps isn't what I'd call dependable these days.

12. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I find the 335 with low powered PAF style PU to have a most glorious clean tone in the middle position, and frankly the neck tone is R&B personified to my ears. The bridge clean can chime or spank for country, and with overdrive the guitar sings and sings.

33X style guitars? They're my favorite by far. Just get used to playing it on it''s own terms, and soon you'll see how it fits into the mix.

Congrats man-

J

13. scottlr

scottlr Member

If your ears need more treble, crank it on your amp when you play it. Going from Fender to Gibson or vise versa is a shock to the ears at first. And if you stick with one or the other, that makes it worse. After being a Gibson guy all my life, I switched to Fenders in the 80s. Took awhile, but it finally took. Then back to a Gibson in 2000 for the first time since then. Not so bad, as long as I kept switching back and forth. Now, I have them both in my head, and can switch back and forth with ease. I think it's just personal ear thing. Once you get used to both, you can go from one to the other anytime.

14. SGNick

SGNick Member

For what it's worth on coil splitting, I like it on my SG with JB/Jazz, but it would work better with a slightly hot neck pickup.

The JB sounds great though. Nice looking guitar! Keep it! it makes you look cool! No matter what you look like to begin with!

15. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I definately need help in that departement!

16. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I have a similar guitar with '57 Classics. The middle position gives a nice funk tone. You might have to make some EQ adjustments on your amp.

17. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

As others have said, the 33x types sound great for clean when properly equipped with PAF style pickups, rolled down to "sweet spots" in the volume.
    My favorite is middle position, treble pickup one 5 / neck pickup on 3. It has good bottom as well as a chimy twang! Cool as Sh!t!

18. Rossl

Rossl Member

What's a 333? Did you mean 335?

19. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

20. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Great looking 333 - Try some Sheptone PAF Tributes, some RS volume pots and some PIO caps. You'll get sparkle, spank, bump and grind just from your pick attack and volume/tone knobs.