Fender to reissue Blackface Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Droptop, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Wayne

Wayne Member

Apparently, they aren't showing this amp at NAMM this weekend. There's speculation that Fender didn't build enough of the amps to ship to all the stores that want them so they're delaying the announcement for a month or two.

2. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

I just got word from one of the dealers that they are hearing May as a release timeline.

3. Jimi Ray

Jimi Ray Member

Amen to that bro!

4. kmcmichael

kmcmichael Member

I have a 64 Princeton and like it a lot. I also like the expensive deluxe that they are asking a fortune for. I have not been impressed with the DRRIs that I have played. I think the handwired thing makes them sound thicker. It has been said earlier that you can get what you want for the same price in the boutiqe world.

5. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

I never really paid much attention to the Fender reissues before but the PR has me interested. Does the '65 RI series have the pots, inputs and tube sockets soldered directly to the board? Or did Fender actually spring for a couple of pieces of wire on these amps?:D

6. jhfire

jhfire Supporting Member

Any updates on the release?

7. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I can see myself buying one of these, gutting it, and replacing its innards with the good stuff.

I owned a real '64 over a decade ago and loved it, but it kept blowing up and I couldn't find a tech who could keep it running. Now I wish I had kept it, bc I now have the knowledge to fix it myself. D'OH!

I'll probably wait a couple of years for them to show up on the used market for cheap, then pick one up to make into a hand-wired clone.

8. Zim

Zim Member

I'm with you on this one. I'm not too keen on the 65 RI boards. Not after hearing.ownong the PTP ones and knowing what it takes to work on one if it goes down. Live and learn and burn some $$!

9. Zim

Zim Member

I talked to the local Fender dealer (has been for 50+years) and their Fender rep has heard nothing of this amp. But he did say, it could happen, just look at the 5E3 they did. "Fender may want some of that money" is what was said.

10. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

I was talking with my local Fender dealer earlier this week about these, and he's got a couple on order. He said they should sell for around $750 or $799, and that they'll be in sometime around may.

i'm looking forward to trying one out. doubt i'll buy one, but you never know. i've got a '65 Princeton Non-Reverb that i absolutely love.

cheers,
    wade

11. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Bump for any info. It is advertised in the new Vintage Guitar magazine. Only says go to fender.com....but of course there is no info there.

12. fishlog

fishlog Member

Considering you can get a used one on eBay for like 800 dollars how could they put a tag of over a thousand on it?

By the way where did you find this news again?

13. Zeon45

Zeon45 Member

Any news on when the PRRI will be available?

14. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Fender says they will formally announce first week of June. Any other company would then ship from 3 - 18 months later, but lately Fender has been very aggro about shipping shortly after announce. That's why it took so long to get to this launch, they wanted to have the units in the pipeline. I suspect you can have one in your bedroom by the end of the month.

Two caveats: the only review I ever read was in here and the dude hated it: farty, mushy and gutless he said, or something to that effect. And second is the competition: The Ampeg J-20 is not much more moolah with with a good 12" and PTP and to my eye, better visuals. You pay a LOT for the Fender brand (and their marketing dept.)

15. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Out of fairness, here's a review from someone who appears to be pretty informed:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial] "A few weeks ago I had one of the new Princeton Reverbs in the studio along with 2 choice ones (a black face and a silver face with NOS 6V6s and a 10" Celestion) from a well known player that owns numerous original PRs plus my '65 PR (needs NOS tubes and a decent speaker). He put all the originals through a vigorous trial and the silver face sounded best. Then we got to the reissue not expecting a lot but were very pleasantly surprised. Out of the box it sounded very good then we "jumped" the Celestion into the reissue and it took a major step forward. It is a treat to hear a really good player open up on a Princeton Reverb. After we came back down, we decided to put the NOS 6V6s (sorry didn't note the brand) into the reissue...GAME OVER. The reissue was now closer to the golden silver face than any of the other originals. I know it has a printed circuit board and I don't think it will cause the bottom to fall out of the market for the originals but I think if you approach the reissues with open ears and perhaps be ready to change the speaker and tubes you could live very happily with one of the great tone machines of all time. IMHO."

And this from the estimable amp tech guru Bill M:

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]I've heard it/played it and it sounds better than some of the silverface PRs that people have brought over to A/B with my modded Blues Juniors. Fender's tone target was the '65 blackface PR, and I think they succeeded.

I'd rather have the PRRI than a 1970s PR: great tone, adjustable bias, the stability and repeatability of a circuit board, blackface cosmetics--and a five-year warranty.

Edited to add:

Also, the baffle board is removable on the new PRRI, unlike some of the SFPRs. So you can easily make up a baffle for a 12-inch speaker and swap it in if that's part of your tone goal.

And more from Bill M....
    [/FONT]

I saw and played the Princeton Reverb Reissue today at the New York Guitar Show. Proud poppa Shane Nicholas (Fender vp of marketing) says it'll be in stores in June at $799.

It sounds like 1965 all over again--surprisingly rich bass, better than most PRs I've heard. And that Blackface tone is exactly right, but it gets that great Princeton edge and fairly reasonable volume. The reverb is rich and full, and can be moderated from a pleasant echo to full surf. The tank is in a bag. The lowest speed on the tremolo is slower than I remember, which is a good thing, and it has that great bias-trem sound.

THIS IS NO BEDROOM AMP. It's loud, although like other 15 watt amps, it will likely be marginal with a loud drummer.

It's built just like the DRRI and the TRRI, on a circuit board. I think that's the right way to go... maybe a little inconvenient for us modders, but it ensures consistency from amp to amp. Yes, sure, some owners will tear out the circuit board and install an eyelet board, and they'll rave about how much better the tone is. But for 99 percent of people who have been yearning for a real live blackface Princeton Reverb, this is the real deal.

The speaker is a Jensen
    C10R, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded it the PR cab. The baffle is removable, and there's room for a 12-inch speaker if you're so inclined.

16. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

I'd say the above review is right on the money

I also tried it out at the recent amp show.

very easy to dial in a nice clean blackface tone with the tele they had on hand. surfy reverb and cool, swampy trem.

I liked it better than the DRRI's I've played thru

17. FJTurner

FJTurner Member

Sold! Where do I get in line?...LOL

18. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

i got to hear one of these yesterday--fedex delivered it to my local fender dealer (instead of the local fender rep) by mistake and i was in the shop at the right time.

i have to say, from the 5 minutes i heard it, it sounded pretty damn great.

we didn't have a "real" princeton to compare with (that'll happen when they get their stock of the reissues in)........but to my ears it sounds like a Princeton Reverb's supposed to sound. that's a good thing, right?

i'm sure (like all amps, really) it would sound better with a great speaker and some NOS tubes........but stock it certainly sounded very usable (let alone pleasing to my ears). and i agree with A440--it definitely sounded better than the DRRI's i've heard and played.

i love my '65 Princeton Non-Reverb tons and tons........but i'm putting one of these new ones on my christmas list for gigging purposes so i can leave the vintage one at home.

the big disappointment? the plywood cabinet. i wish they'd spent the extra $20 and gone with a pine box instead.

cheers,
    wade

19. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Cool reviews, I may have to pick one up, I need something to bridge the power gap between my bandmaster reverb and Champ.

20. dannyschmanny

dannyschmanny Member

they are now announced and shipping today. already purchased one from sam ash. im pumped. anyone whos played know if the dimensions are the same as the original cab and baffle wise?