Fender to reissue Blackface Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Droptop, Jan 4, 2008.

1. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

Three words: Allen Sweet Spot!

2. 5E3

5E3 Member

At $899 it is off my list.

3. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

To think I picked up my old SF PR just a few years ago off eBay for $350. I actually thought about selling it when I heard the BF reissue was coming out a while back but then decided to keep it instead and buy the reissue as well. At $949, I'll retube and put a new speaker in my SF, pick up a new Super Champ XD, and still have a few hundred left over in the bank. I love simple math.

4. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

In defense of Fender, hasn't everything you buy in the last few weeks and months gone up?? Go read Web site like Webers, Every thing they buy is going up some 20+ %. I bet Fender priced the amp months ago and didn't anticipate gasoline skyrocketing.

I have tried this new amp awhile ago against my SFPR,(I haven't heard sweeter than my SFPR). The PRRI was stock. My SFPR is loaded with NOS tubes. THe PRRI held its own with my amp, but had more of the blackface throaty sound. And it sounds freaking fantastic. And I would totally agree with Bill M's assesment. The tremolo was a little slower, which I like too. There's nothing not to like tonewise with this amp.

My advice to any naysyers is to wear baby diapers when you audition this amp.

I can only assume that the amp loaded with NOS will only improve,( actually, I know it).

And think about this, it has a warranty! You go and buy a PR you will pay $650+ for an amp that is used and may need a couple of hundred bucks in caps and tube replacement. And yes, you can get them less, but that is a freak situation that takes a lot of time to find. Sure the hunt is fun, but not to everyone. But I love to hunt. In fact to make you naucious, I just found a 68 drip edge fo my friend for $400, after a couple of hundred bucks it will be awesome.

But to all who have purchased, your going to be very happy with a **** eating grin that will be hard to wipe off.

5. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

The DRRI is $949
    The PRinceton is $899

I think all Fender amps are due to go up if they have not already.

6. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

DRRI was $800 not too long ago....

7. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

man.
    was really excited about this amp!
    but for the price I would definitely just go DRRI route. really a standard amp that - sounds so good.

in fairness though, EVERYTHING is going up in price quite significantly.

it's scaring me a litte.

8. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Just last month Blackface PRs were going for 1500. Now it jumped to $2400. Insane.

9. FJTurner

FJTurner Member

I disagree with Fender "leaking" a $799.00 street price, then jacking it up a hundred bucks the day it's released. I still ordered one, though. I've been watching PR's on ebay for months and haven't found the "right" one. Then , there's new tubes and cap job, etc. As long as it sounds good and is reliable, I'll try some NOS tubes in it and take it to gigs and not worry about it.

Even thought about an Allen Sweet Spot, but the price shot up on those a couple months ago, too.

10. bluescube

bluescube Member

Allen Sweet Spot = $1549

That's $650 more than a Princeton.

11. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

And you get twice the amp for it, too. Sounds like a great deal to me.

12. champster

champster Member

I'm another person who was really looking froward to this amp. Even at $799.00 it was still, to me, a bit high in price, but something I could live with. At the higher price there is no way I'll buy. True the price of everything is going up, but my budget just goes so far. Suddenly all the amps I presently have sure sound good. I'm sure many people will still but the PRRI, but I won't be one of them. I sure do enjoy the SCXD I picked up for only $299.00.

13. FFTT

FFTT Member

The Allen Sweet Spot is hand wired vs Fender's mass production PCB.

I agree, Fender is blowing a tremendous opportunity here listening to the bean counters
    rather than listening to their fan base.

14. jazzandmetal?

The allen Sweet Spot

It is 18 watts with 6v6s and 25 watts with 6l6s.

The 10 inch combo is $1399.

Why would I want to pay that much more for an amp based on the amp I am getting and it is only 3 watts more. PTP wiring is worth $500?

I have no doubt that the Allen is anamazing sounding amp, but I am not sure I follow the logic of it being a better deal.

15. FFTT

FFTT Member

I saw two Silver Face PR's on e-bay this morning.

If you're budget is that tight, consider one of them
    and have your amp tech tweak it any way you want.

While looking at Allen Amps,
    you might also want to look at the Gries 18 or 20.

16. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I bet the Allen amp goes up in price in the next couple of months, watch & wait.

17. Falcatarius

Falcatarius Member

Hey folks,

I recently demo'd one of these for a local music store for their 30th anniversary. (the manager likes my playing and calls me up every once and a while)

While I agree with others that its overpriced. It is an absolutely stunning little amp. Very portable, very loud, fantastic tone, and the tremolo effect is to die for, extremely lush yet subtle.

Even if you don't buy it. I highly recommend you check one out anyways for fun. Though I'm afraid I can't say how it compares to the original as I'm only 17 and such wonderful gear is the stuff of legends for me. :(

While we're on the subject, does anyone know of any tremolo pedals that produce an effect very similar to the princeton? I know that the effect on this reissue is tube-powered, if that helps at all.

Cheers!
    -Tom

18. jazzandmetal?

Came today. Looks good and is lightweight. Haven't had to plug it in yet.

19. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

So, what is the verdict?

20. bluescube

bluescube Member

Some of us don't have extra cash laying around to spend $650 more for a hand made version of a Fender amp. Gas prices, economy, etc.

It was all I could do to buy a Palomino V32 which is about the best amp for that price range out there.