Fender tone/Gibson feel

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gucka, Apr 21, 2005.

1. gucka

gucka Member

I wonder if you guys could help me with a problem; I always loved the tone of a strat but prefered the feel of a Gibson neck, like es-175/335. Do you have any suggestions which guitar to check out that combines the two, preferably a major brand that isn't too hard to get hold of in Sweden!

Thanks!

-Thomas

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Look for a good Les Paul Deluxe w/ the mini-humbuckers...

3. Stan Malinowski

Stan Malinowski Silver Supporting Member

How about an Anderson Cobra with 3 M-Series (Mini Humbucker) pickups? You can even get the Cobra in a familiar S (Strat) style body.

4. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Look for GIbbies with P-90 single coil pickups. Not quite the real strat sound, but a wonderful single coil sound nevertheless.

P-90 Gibbies also tend to be less expensive. Some are even under $1000.

Good Luck

:cool:

5. george4908

george4908 Member

>>How about an Anderson Cobra with 3 M-Series (Mini Humbucker) pickups?

Oh man, I played one of these the other day and it was scary good. Those M-Series pickups are killer and the guitar felt great. Surprisingly single coil sounding, and great in between quack, but I'm not sure I'd characterize it as Strat-like. But so what? It was a great sounding guitar in and of itself.

6. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

I recently aquired a Gibson Nighthawk special (2 pickup/5way). This guitar fits your wish list perfectly. It has a Fender scale , string thru body, fender type bridge, split coils, but a Gibson mahogany/rosewood/ neck (withsplit block inlays) , smaller mahogany body/ flame maple top.

I love it , it honestly is like the child of Tele/Les Paul parents. They can be had for a bargain as well.

ASATlove and 27sauce like this.
  7. angelo

angelo Member

I am not sure this is the cheapest option, but since I haven't seen it up here yet --

Find a strat whose tone you like --- then get one of those 24 3/4 scale necks that they sell (Warmoth? others too?)

Sounds like they were made for a guy like you. A bolt on Gibson scale neck for a strat. I don't know anything about the neck carves, but I am sure they make what you want.

$.02:D

BTW - In my experience p90's are closer than mini buckers -- but neither are really "it" for strat tones.

Average Joe likes this.
  8. Stan Malinowski

Stan Malinowski Silver Supporting Member

Angelo,

Try the Anderson Minibuckers. They changed my mind on minis, tone is much more like a single coil on steroids rather than a humbicker derivative. Until I tried the Anderson minis I would have agreed with your P-90 statement 100%.

9. angelo

angelo Member

My experience has not included the Anderson's mini's -- glad they are that cool.

I've only known Gibson mini's on two different Pauls. And maybe a Firebird? Those were mini's right?

10. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like you're looking for an '80s Valley Arts Strat, with single coils and a tune-o-matic/stop bar combo. I've occasionally seen them on Ebay, and the last one had a very low reserve. Worth considering as they're very well made and would probably fit the bill nicely. Tom

11. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

You could always have a tech re-radius & refret the fingerboard of a Strat to a 12" radius, that would get you closer to a Gibson feel, but you would still have more string tension because of the 25-1/2" scale.

12. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

I've done that, and it works, sorta. The neck I had was decent but it didn't feel like a gibson. For one thing it was unbound. Maybe they sell bound ones now... For another to get the right scale I had to carve body to make the neck neck pocket closer to the bridge. It was actually a G&L but I think you'd have the same problem with a strat.

It did give some nice sounds and I liked the shorter scale but it didn't really feel like a good gibson neck and you're left with a body that has a gap between the neck heel and the pocket if you ever go back to the fender scale neck.

13. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

IIRC the SRV signature strat has a 12" radius fretboard. If you're not after the SRV thing, change out the pickguard and pups to get the look and sound you want.

Just another possibility.

:p

14. gucka

gucka Member

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Clearly spoken, what I'm after is a strat guitar with a Gibson scale and radius. Of course I could have a luthier build one for me, but that's not interesting at this point yet. Thought I'd check out the "mass-produced" market first and see what that would bring.
    That Anderson might be something!?

-T

15. MCG

MCG Member

For the Gibson feel and Fender tone you might try a Gibson Firebird out and see if it fits the bill.

MCG

16. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

17. Tone Loco

Another thought is Hamer. They make a lot of set neck guitars with bound 24 3/4 scale necks. I had a tele style one that had single coils and a HB at the bridge. There are a lot of used Hamer USAs around and they are reasonably priced for handmade guitars.

I think its very wierd that there aren't tons of 'fender sound/gibson feel' guitars. Gibson necks feel so much better but the tonal variety is lacking with the traditional gibson 2 HB & 3 way toggle. Maybe the sound of the 24 3/4 scale and the single coils is just not quite the same so manufacturers don't bother. I didn't really notice a difference in sound with my G&L and 24 3/4 neck though.

If you find something post it here, its been a holy grail type quest for me for a long time. But I'm lazy :D
    Good luck.

18. Nightfly27

Nightfly27 Member

This is how I've thought of the McInturff's that I've played - he packs a whole bunch of snap and twang into set-neck'd mahogany guitars.

FWIW,

NF

19. Tone Loco

Yeah but the original poster is looking for a 'fender sound' - which I assume means single coils... I doubt you're going to get that from these gibson style humbucker guitars. I imagine you'd get a lot closer with something like the PRS electronics.