Fender Tone Saver Circuit

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lowyaw, Mar 2, 2015.

1. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

[​IMG]

..and you're saved, at the price of mere 40 bucks :eeks
    marketed as a treble bleed. but i watched a video recently - andertons? - where fender rep stated itwas more then just a treble bleed. any additional info?

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

The magic runes and a dash of mojo transform less than 50 cents of electronics into a $40 tone monster.

:sarcasm

3. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

If ya play "wide open" it doesn't do a dawggone thing.... and if ya play with the volume turned down a bit on the guitar, it doesn't do much.. in fact on stage, in a live performance, you would never notice any effect, and at home, you'd have to be stone cold sober and have pretty good hearing to notice anything.

It's JUST a bleed "circuit" any tech can throw one together with a 3 cent cap and a 2 cent resistor... same exact results...

I would have no problem with 'em if they were 5 bux, representing about a 5000% markup, but at 40... that's just wretched excess..

Ron Kirn

BBender likes this.
  4. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

that's what i am afraid it is, Mr Kirn :( i guess there's a couple of components epoxied for life in that thing, but $40 seems a little too much, and if the effect is close to placebo.. :(

5. Ron Kirn

what I generally tell guys... Nothing on the planet makes a guitar sound as good as when it's played by a skilled guitarist... don't waist time chasing tone, use the time and effort to advance as a musician... it'll make ya far happier than screwing or soldering stuff into the guitar.

Ron

6. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

Ron...Ron...Ron... Ya know some Peeps don't wanna here the Truth, it's much easier to Buy Stuff ! :phones

7. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I use my guitar volume control a lot and, while I don't claim to have Eric Johnson-like hearing, I definitely tell when a Strat doesn't have a treble bleed in it. It's a mod I do on all my Fenders. I might try this Fender item just to see if it does anything different, but I can't see spending $40 to "upgrade" all of my guitars, either.

8. Ron Kirn

heck yeah... ya never know for sure unless ya try it... I suggest connecting a couple of leads to the volume pot where the bleed device connects, then let 'em hang out so you can try different combinations of caps ant resistors without opening it up every time... this is also a great way to "play" around with the tone cap...

I put a bleed circuit in all my guitars...'cause if ya don't want it, it's easier to remove something ya have than to add something ya don't . . I think that was Socrates that said that late one Saturday night after gigging at Bubba's Beer 'n Bait, Hemlock farms..

rk

9. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Fender Legal needs money.

[​IMG]

10. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Do you sell the circuit separately?

11. Humancapo

Humancapo Member

680pf cap and a 150k resistor in parallel and you're good to go... works great on Strats and Teles; only if you actually use your volume control, not many do.

12. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

+1. Works great.

13. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

This.
    Experiment with up to a 1000pF cap and down to a 130K resistor. I have a Tele that nailed it with a 1000pF/150K and a Strat with 680pF/130K. Depends on the pickups.
    For $40, one can have 5 each of the following and a 6-pack to drink while experimenting with combinations that work best in the specific guitar.
    330, 470, 680 and 1000pF caps
    100K, 130K 150K and 180K resistors.

14. Ron Kirn

15. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

16. dazco

dazco Member

No difference? Really?!!!! I have a 250pf treble bleed on all my guitars hooked up to the tone pot since I never use regular tone controls. I also made it a no load. The difference from 0-10 on that pot when the volume is lowered is N-I-T-E and D-A-Y ! Even not opening it all the way (no load....open circuit) so cap is always in circuit, from one end of the spectrum to the other, If you can't hear it you are stone freakin' deaf ! It's not subtle, no way no how ! And in fact, if like me you are one of those that spends a lot or even most of your time with the volume lowered, the ability to go from nearly mud to near ice pick or anywhere in between is extremely useful.

As to the topic, that fender cap or i assume maybe a cap and resistor in a single package, it's ridiculous. $.50 worth of parts for $40 is insanity of the highest level.

17. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

18. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I prefer 50's wiring.

19. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

cool idea. one of my guitars has a tendency to be too dark, and as I also use volume a lot, that's a liitle annoying. a workaround like that could be a nice tool for thinning out those ultra-fat tones :)

20. sliberty

sliberty Member

^^^^
    This