Fender Tonemaster DR

OPENYOUREYES

I was waiting for the same thing from Line 6. I can't justify a Helix Floor (on cost and what options I need) but dreamed of a reduced feature set, with Helix modelling quality, in a combo package that sounded like an amp in the room ... for somewhere in the AUD$1,000 - AUD$2000 range ... that didn't weigh more than 20kg.

It's not quite packaged up as a single combo unit, but I realized the other day that HX Stomp + Powercab would give me that. I can see the advantages of having the two separate units, especially if I ever get around to recording, but I would still prefer a single unit that combined those two products ... with a board to stomp on or change snapshots/patches.
The fan bois will say just buy the helix and the powercab 2-12 and run in stereo but man thats just too expensive for me. I like the powercab 2-12 concept but not the $1400 price.

Robot B9

I was waiting for the same thing from Line 6. I can't justify a Helix Floor (on cost and what options I need) but dreamed of a reduced feature set, with Helix modelling quality, in a combo package that sounded like an amp in the room ... for somewhere in the AUD$1,000 - AUD$2000 range ... that didn't weigh more than 20kg.

It's not quite packaged up as a single combo unit, but I realized the other day that HX Stomp + Powercab would give me that. I can see the advantages of having the two separate units, especially if I ever get around to recording, but I would still prefer a single unit that combined those two products ... with a board to stomp on or change snapshots/patches.

A single unit would be nice, but doubtful it’s happening soon. I was going to buy a Powercab for my Helix and HX Stomp, but these Tone Master amps seem like the better choice for me. I need a good spring reverb and so far the TM’s reverb sounds great. Probably going to buy one.

Mark Al

I went back to GC and spend another hour with the TM Twin while waiting for wife and kid for church activity. The TM DR I played earlier today is already gone/sold.

I A/B compared the Twin with a DRRI side by side, clean tone coming out of the DRRI is no comparison to the TM twin. TM Twin doesn’t have much distortion headroom at all, and when it does crunch it tends to get a bit muddy. So I wouldn’t put much hope on the Twin’s crunch tone. However, the TM DR I played earlier today absolutely nailed the nice DR crunch!

On the other hand, TM Twin clean sounds so good! The difference between the 85 watt with volume@4 and 5 watt volume@7 (both have the same level of volume), is that the latter sounds warmer and rounder, a lot nicer to my ear. So nice!

Last edited:

Mark Al

The fan bois will say just buy the helix and the powercab 2-12 and run in stereo but man thats just too expensive for me. I like the powercab 2-12 concept but not the $1400 price.
I don’t know about you, 48lbs plus the size of the PowerCab 212 is going to be annoyingly heavy for me, that I would absolutely hate to lug around jam sessions or gigs! I suspect most giging musicians would agree!

The weight and portability of gears are such an important factor, which I suspect Line6 seriously underestimated before releasing PC212. I own PC112+, I have no doubt the 212 will sound great, however, I won’t be getting one because of the weight alone. @Frank Ritchotte @Digital Igloo

Why/how do Quilter amps get so popular for gigging musicians? (go check their Facebook group), personally I think Quilter Mach 2 sound good but not top notch, however, its light weight and portability make it such a pragmatic and attractive solution for giging guys who have to lug around their own gears!

Now Fender gets that, why do you think they go out of their way to use light solid pine cabs?! The 22lb TM DR will be a super attractive solution for gigging musicians!

I lug around my HX Stomp and PC+, and even though the Helix floor is much more powerful, I’d still tried to make everything work with my Stomp alone, again the portability is so just valuable nowadays. Now Line6 released a 48lbs PC212, it will likely end up similarly to the Mission Gemini 212, which sounds great, but few people would purchase for gigging.

Line6, you need to design and release a light weight 212 that is below 35 lbs, I know you can do it ;)

Watt McCo

Not to keep spamming this, but your dream is totally doable with a modicum of diy effort for much less than the cost of a power cab: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/my-28lb-helix-combo-amp.2072803/

Trending Topics

Top Bottom