Fender Truss Rod Sleeve Shifting

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by mcknigs, May 9, 2016.

1. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I bought a used MIM Strat neck a while back. There's a black plastic sleeve in the hole leading to the truss rod nut. The sleeve is tapered to follow the face of the headstock, like this one:

[​IMG]

When I adjusted the truss rod the sleeve spun with the bolt. When I used pliers in an attempt to spin the sleeve back or attempt to remove it, the pieces I grabbed snapped off. Is this a problem? Is that sleeve anything more than decorative?

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  2. mcknigs

3. mcknigs

Still interested in an answer to this question. Anybody?

4. cardinal

cardinal Supporting Member

In some of Fender's designs, the plug can anchor against the rod to let you force the neck into a front bow. Not sure if yours is like that, particularly if it's so loose. If the rod is working and you can room to go either way, I probably wouldn't worry about it (unless you can just exchange it for another one without the broken plug).

5. mcknigs

OK, I'll interpret this to mean that it may have a function, and that I'm better off leaving the remnants in there. Exchanging isn't an option. I got this used at a gear swap.

Thanks. :)

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

it's not, you can spin the mexi truss rod nut right out of there.

pretty sure that black liner is just decorative, maybe it serves to keep the truss rod nut centered in the hole.