Fender Tweed Advice Needed Deluxe vs. Harvard

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jim lavender, Mar 28, 2020.

1. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

Hey folks. I'm thinking of selling my Lil Dawg Tweed Deluxe 5E3 to fund a Lil Dawg Tweed Harvard or Tweed Vibrolux. I'm playing mostly clean stuff theses days and using pedals for OD and I've heard the Harvard and VLux circuits stay clean longer. My Tweed Deluxe is 25 watts and seems to have good clean headroom for a 5E3 circuit. Can anybody offer advice or tell me the tonal differences I might experience if I make the switch.
    Thanks and stay well

Blue Marvel likes this.
  2. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

3. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

The Harvard and VLux typically had more headroom than the original Tweed Deluxe 5E3 but yours has 25w. I’m not sure you’ll be getting any more cleans. Would it be a modified 25w Harvard/VLux?

rickt and s360guitarist like this.
  4. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

If you are looking for more headroom, maybe more watts is what you need. When using pedals for distortion sounds, I would think a higher wattage amp running at a lower volumes would suffice.

HighRoller likes this.
  5. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

Put a switch in the 5E3 to go to fixed bias. You will get a different attack and a slight increase in power and headroom.

billyguitar likes this.
  6. e???

e??? Member

If your deluxe is somehow or another 25 watts, then no, the Harvard/vibrolux won't have that kinda headroom. If your deluxe was normal, then yes.

7. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I prefer a Vibrolux over a Deluxe or Harvard because...

More clean range on the volume control than a Deluxe.
    It’s cabinet is the same size as the Deluxe so you can use a 12” speaker instead of a 10”.
    It’s three inputs (like the Harvard) have three different levels of gain. You can even use a footswitch to switch between two levels of gain.
    It has tremolo.

8. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

Figaro, you’ll have to explain that input situation to me. I understand that when plugged into one of those, there is a certain resistance established between the input and the control grid of the input gain stage use. However, whenever another plug is inserted into another or both of the remains inputs, the resistance is set...it is changed to a hotter input but it is not switchable since it is the mechanical insertion of the plug that creates the new resistance. My Rickenbacker B9A has four inputs that function this way. The Univox U45 has a similar setup. ????

9. Blue Marvel

Blue Marvel Member

I would suggest mod the amp you have to fixed bias and install a 5R4 rectifier with a pair JJ 6V6s tubes. You will get vastly higher headroom. I would check with the maker to see if the components can stand the increase in voltage.

10. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

Thanks guys. Can anyone explain the tonal differences between the Harvard/Vibrolux and the Tweed Deluxe I currently own. Jim also said my tweed Deluxe can take 6L6 tubes as well.

11. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

This is a bit confusing. When you said that your Deluxe is a 25-watt version, I assumed you were already using 6L6s in it. are you saying you are currently using 6V6s in it? If so, the amp may have a 25-watt transformer, but it is not putting out anywhere close to 25 watts clean with 6V6s in it.

Steppin' Wolfe likes this.
  12. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I don’t know electronically how it works but it did on the tweed Vibrolux that I had. There were two different gain levels available depending on which input that you plugged the guitar into and which other input that you plugged the single footswitch into. I guess you’ll just have to try it to see what I’m describing.

13. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

No very much like a 5E5Jim, if you can run 6L6’s in it, you don’t really have a Deluxe anyway. You are playing something very much like a 5E5 Pro....not a 5E5A but a 5E5...as I described earlier. If you are not running 6L6s, then I suggest you do so. Can this amp accept a rectifier tube other than a 5Y3. If so, then mlj-gear is on the right track. Imho, you need to talk to Jim at Lil Dawg amps and find out exactly what you have and how to get most power and headroom out of it. And...as noted above...a speaker change could possibly yield bigger results than some other paths.

14. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

The 5E3 preamp and the 5E5 preamp are very different, right? That’s the main reason for the Deluxe getting dirty more quickly as you turn the volume up. The larger output tranny and 6L6’s give it a little more clean but also make it louder.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  15. Blue Marvel

Blue Marvel Member

If the amp will run 6L6s then I would up the rectifier, add 6L6s, and that should solve your problem.

My Tweed Proluxe will run a GZ34 and 6L6s which greatly increases its clean headroom.

HeavyCream likes this.
  16. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

No, the 5E5 is in effect the 5E3 circuit with transformer that support 6L6’s. The 5E5A is a much different amp with a more complex tone stack...bass and treble....and fixed biasing. It is so different from the 5E5 that perhaps they should have used an F I; the designation...5F5....to differentiate it from the 5E5. The only thing that the 5E5 and 5E5A have in common in the circuit is the cathodyne phase inverter.

Figaro likes this.
  17. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

You don’t see many 5E5 circuits. It was short lived before the revisions were made to create the 5E5A.

18. straightblues

straightblues Member

I am a Harvard man. I also have a Deluxe. A deluxe just gets too dirty and classic rock for me. I play traditional blues and the Harvard holds together much better. A Harvard will sound like a Deluxe on 3 or 4 when it is cranked. You get the volume and nice slightly dirty tweed tones. It is great for lots of types of music. And if you need any more dirt, Harvard's take dirt pedals extremely well.

MRscratch and Figaro like this.
  19. dr.barlo

dr.barlo Member

I love my 5E7 clone. It has Classic Tone tweed 40W ot and TungSol 5881 RI's. Its clean headroom is more than my 5E3 clone, and I think that's what you are after. Below is a link of a YouTube vid that I did with a Zoom Q2N placing it on axis of the Celestion G12H30-75 speaker.

B

20. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Never seen a 5E5. I was thinking 5E5A

Steppin' Wolfe likes this.