fender twin cybertwin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by foomotoquasique, Jun 7, 2008.

1. foomotoquasique

foomotoquasique Member

hay,
    i would like to get your take on the new fender amps, twin and cybertwin,
    i tried out the cyber, it sounds great clean and distorted, my only concern was the servo,s , all those motors , seems more to go wrong, they diddnt have a twin for me to try , they had a twin reverb that diddnt have onboard distortion .
    thanks

2. tonemnstr

tonemnstr Member

I've had a Cybertwin for 4-5 years and hauled it back & forth to practice & gigs. I live in Wisconsin and even when the amp was cold from being in the car I never had any problems.

It served me well playing in a cover band. It's got nice outputs for recording too. The amp seems to record well.

The stock tube that came in it was crap, amp sounded much better after I swapped it.

3. stevel

stevel Member

I agree with you about the possibility of things going wrong with all the motors. I remember when the Cybertwin first came out, I was working at a "GC" type store and I liked the Line 6 stuff (about the time when Vettas first came out).

But you're sort of looking at three different things here.

A Twin Reverb is designed to be what the Twin Reverbs of the 60s were - a two channel tube amp that was loud and clean with reverb and tremolo. Think 60s surf rock and you got it.

The newer Twin is - I don't know what it's supposed to be, and I think neither does Fender. It's like supposed to be a Twin Reverb with a distortion channel. I recall playing one when they came out and wasn't overly impressed. Especially since it was actually MORE EXPENSIVE than a Twin Reverb RI. For me, the clean wasn't as clean, and the dirty wasn't very exciting, and I couldn't justify the price difference, especially given the pedigree of a Twin Reverb (despite the fact it's a RI).

There were things I disliked about the Cybertwin back then, but I understand the SE is out and is supposed to be much improved.

If you need lots of different tones (like in a cover band) It seems like this would be a reasonable choice. I think a Flextone III or Vetta would be similar choice. A Flextone III XL is 700 bucks - half as much as a Cybertwin, so it might be worth checking out.

On one hand, I feel like Line 6 really "invented" modelling technology (or at least brought it to market in droves) and from that standpoint, seem to know what they're doing, whereas fender is "copying" them - Fender lately seems to be a trend follower - so they came up with the Cybertwin to compete in that niche which at the time they had no product in (though it's certainly a worthwhile product). So when you're looking at those two, you need to start comparing things like are they USB compatible, does the software work on OSX or Vista, etc. etc., not just wattage etc.

HTH,
    Steve

4. foomotoquasique

foomotoquasique Member

thanks for your responses guys,
    i like the fender sound, so i more than likely will get the cybertwin ,
    what tube upgrades did you do , ive seen tube prices from $20.00 to $120.00 and up , is there really that much sound improvement?
    much respect

5. m.z.

m.z. "Musician" /Gear Hoarder

don't do it! I'd get the twin reverb and a tubescreamer or similar. That exact rig served me without a single problem for 10+ years. still use it for louder/ outdoors gigs. They are highly dependable amps.... best clean for the buck..... give it a shot. I've been down the amp modeler route.... no volume dynamics.... cheap sounding tone. If you want less power (twin can be extremely loud! 85 watts) go for a deluxe reverb (22 watts?) really good reverb, great tremelo too! can be a fun effect.

6. foomotoquasique

foomotoquasique Member

i will take my stompboxes and check it out,
    there is no substitute for experience.

7. m.z.

m.z. "Musician" /Gear Hoarder

very true..... good luck!

8. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I think you will find a bias on this board against modeling based amps. A Cybertwin is part guitar amp, part computer, where a Twin is a classic all tube amp that produces world class tones and has stood the test of time. That said, a modeling amp can be an extremely useful tool could be all you need to find your voice and have many years of service. Playing the two side by side will answer your question much better than we can.

Shawn.

9. epluribus

epluribus Member

Long-time CT 1.x owner here. Motorized faders have been around in the pro audio world for a very long time--mine work fine. Cybers are unique critters because they're basically analog amps that actually re-wire themselves, as opposed to being true modellers that digitally simulate everything. They unqestionably have good and bad points, and they demand you get to understand them. I reviewed them earlier here on TGP, hopefully warts and all...here's the link:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=224957

A Twin, btw, is an entirely different amp. It's hard-wired to be a Twin and nothing but a Twin, and by definition it does that better than any modeller/channel-switcher out there. But to do anything else you're gonna need pedals in front of it.

Anyhoo, this is definitely a YMMV thing, bigtime. I too would advise sitting down with both several times, preferably in an A/B setting, and the differences will quickly become dramatic.

--Ray

Mods: JJ's are nice but not necessary--I finally went back to matched Sovteks. Beam Blockers are a definite plus. I put two speaker-outs in mine--big fun. Get PatchWizard for sure. Beyond that, the tweaks will get you there.

10. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

don't fear the technology!! i have gigged both amps, and they both sound great in the right hands. that said, they both sound like crap in the wrong hands.

the DRRI is a great amp, but it doesn't like all pedals. the twin is great, but can be too much amp for many smaller venues. they both require a pedal board and lots of set up time, cords, and space.

while cyber amps may not cover all the "tube" sonics, the tones are great and these amps are very giggable. the relentless search for tone in a live setting falls largely on deaf ears. search for the amp that covers all of your bases and gets your juices flowing!!

i use both tube amps (Mesa F-100 and Kustom '36 Coupe) and "modelling" amps (Tech 21 Trademark 60 and Line 6 Spider Valve) live. all these amps get great compliments from the crowd and from the sound man.

i put in the time to get "my" sound from any amp i own.

good luck in your search!!

11. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Out of curiosity, when they came out, I tried the CT1 & CTSE and IMHO they seemed to lack tonal depth...sort of missing that 3rd tonal dimension that I hear from a good tube amp. Strange, because I thought the Fender amps that the CT was modeling sounded pretty good....like they nailed the sound but not the tonal depth, and the feel wasn't quite right.

12. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

VaughnC, i agree. that is what makes a tube amp so desirable as a player. the tone of modelling amps is very good, but the depth is lost.

in a live situation, using in-ear-montoring, that depth is compromised as well. this is where modelling closes the gap.

i hear many great tones when modellers like the Vox LE, Spider Valve, and Cyber amps are run direct to the board.

to me it is an adjustment to the reaction of the amp to my playing style. modellers don't react as well as a good tube, probably never will. with time, you get used to it and you can be happy with the results.

13. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I've only used line 6 products but.....

I have trouble controlling my volume dynamics and gain dynamics with modelers compared to tube amps. I also have trouble hearing myself when playing with others.

I've played the cyber twin and it didn't sound like a tube amp IMO.

14. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

15. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

I've had my CyberTwin for about 6 years. My local guitar shop had three when they first came out and I bought the third one. Spendy but worth to me as i was then brand new to guitar playing. There are just so many different sounds present and i was able to find what kind of sound I liked to produce. It sounds great whether loud or bedroom level; doesn't matter. It is a much maligned amp and I don't feel this is warranted; one needs to spend the time to discover what it's capable of and I know there is much more available there than I've found. I have an all-tube amp now and i do play that much more than the CT (gotta experiment with those new pedals). Now, i use the Bassman patch when I play it; it's great.
    Is the CT reliable? Once I was playing, thought I had switched the power strip off but hadn't. Put the cover on the beast and didn't discover it until the next afternoon. Almost 24hours, covered and on; uhh, it was really hot, it smelled hot. Switched it off, crossed my fingers, let it cool down and it fired right up as if nothing had happened--truly amazing (hope this never happens with my Black Pearl).
    BTW, last summer I was in Buddy Guy's club in Chicago. There was a CT on the stage, ready in case any of the acts didn't bring their deluxe.

16. blackee

blackee Member

Just played a Cyber Twin as well......

Definitely a nice practice amp that you could you at home. Has all types of effects that can come in handy. It just doesn't have that warmth that I am getting from my tube base amps. Digital emulation is just not there yet. The Cyber Twin is definitely a good tool though.

17. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

no sir don't like it. there a delay when you switch channels with the footswitch. no bueno.

18. remedy

remedy Member

I own a Cyber Twin, it was in my gigging setup for 2 years. It's a very good sounding amp (don't let the snobs tell you otherwise!!) Never had any problems with it at all.
    I have the midi controler as well which can be cool for flexibilty.
    One place I found the amp to be awesome was recording, using the dircet out. Got VERY good tones this way, & it was quick & easy.

19. gearboy

gearboy Member

I gigged the combo for years, but recently sold it to move back to tubes. The amp need to be cranked up a bit to sound best, and it certainly doesn of lot tones nicely. However the latency when switching channels got on my nerves.