Fender Twin = Not impressed with this one

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gi-gi-giggity, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

So the company that I work for does a huge partership/fundraising thing with the United Way. This year to kick it off, they decided to get a bunch of musicians together from within the company and have a little mini-concert for the employees. Well, there ended up being 3 bands and we had a backline company come in to set up a stage and PA with a drum kit, various amps, etc. I chose to use one of the new Fender Twins that they supplied and just bring my pedal board and guitar.
    To make a long story short, I was very disappointed in the amp. I thought that the Twins were pretty much the pinnacle of that shimmery Fender clean trademark. I couldn't buy any high end it seemed, and even with the gain setting on about "2" I was still right on the edge of breaking up and distorting. I used the Heritage 535 btw.
    For what it's worth, I often gig with my little Fender Concert and the Heritage and never have any trouble getting a good crisp sound. To me, there's a point where you can detect the tone of an amp and a guitar respectively and this was certainly the case yesterday too....the amp wasn't working for me.
    Maybe I got a bad apple or the tubes were old? It was only 3 songs, but I was hoping that it was going to sound ALOT better than it actually did.

It was however better than sitting in the office all day. :dude

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Sounds like that Twin had problems.

Hasn't your company heard about all the United Way scandals?

3. AL30

AL30 Member

Agreed. Something was wrong with that one. It shouldn't even get a hint of breakup till it's very LOUD - and then it's not much. And you should have zero problems getting high end.

"Gain setting"?? :confused: What model Twin were you using?

AL

4. albuht813

albuht813 Member

ummmm yeah...i'm thinking the same thing. I have a 65 twin and I can't get it to breakup no matter how high I get it. something was definitely wrong with that amp.

The highs that amp puts out can make your ears bleed!

5. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I've plugged into one, admitedly at GC, and they were flabby. Didn't care for them at all. I assume it just needed a tune up.

6. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I really think there must have been something wrong with it.

I didn't know there were different Twin models. I didn't have a heck of alot of time to mess with it as the bands were rushed one right after the other. Our sound check was only one song too.

7. AL30

AL30 Member

I'd recommend trying another Twin. Although not for everyone they are great amps.

Some of the SF Twins had the Push-Pull Master Volume which was supposed to add some distortion to the sound. I hate that thing. If that was pulled and your channel volume cranked (louder than your MV) you may have been getting some distorted mud. At least that's what it sounds like to me. Bad tubes and old caps could also cause that.

I usually crank the Master. Set the EQ to taste (Treble 7, Mid 3, Bass 2). And set the channel volume to taste (usually loud :BOUNCE ). I run a LP Custom and usually use a TS or Nobels ODR-1 for some more hair. Plenty of clarity and high end/clean headroom has never been a problem

Try another one.

Could have had a problem. What model? I've never played the reissue. My SF was flabby on the low end until I swapped out the Oxfords (they really did fart out) and gave it a "tune-up" - cap job, new tubes.

AL

8. dave s

dave s Member

Your description sounds like a 'tired, old twin.' When a twin is tuned up properly, it should be loud, tight and really snappy on the top end.

Twins that aren't, are slow, flubby and increased volume adds mush and not much else.

About amp choices. Showed up to play a 'fill-in' gig with sound, lights and backline gear provided. Same as you--I bought guitars and a pedal board. Amps available to me were an old beatup Mesa Mark xx 112 combo, an ampeg reverberocket 112 and a Crate 3 speaker something or other.

Mesa amp made a funky noise and sounded like it wouldn't last an hour, the ampeg rattled and hummed at the first clean chord. Compared to the other amps, the Crate sounded Godlike. Took pedals well and played loud and clear the entire gig.

Sometimes ya can't judge a book by its cover. Opening it up is required!

dave

9. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Also was it a Twin Reverb like everyone here is assuming, or was it that newer "The Twin". The newer one has more knobs in front, but at a glance looks the same. Doesn't sound the same though.

10. 59model

59model Member

LOL!
    :dude

11. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I'd have to agree with those here who say there was probably something wrong with the amp. The other guitarist in my band uses an SF Twin. I was playing a Germino C45. Outdoor show. That Twin was up to 8 and I was still drowning it out with the C45 at about 6. I guess Twins, like every other amp, need to be healthy to sound "right".

12. dtube

dtube Member

Way North of Pittsburgh...no, I don't own a banjo.
    The new TR reissues are shipped stock biased cold - around 18mA - , with Sovtek 5881's, into a generic Emi speaker. If they are biased into a normal range (i.e. Ep x Ip should be around 18-19w per tube IMO), the Sovtek 5881's are usuable (not my fave, though). Changing out the stock 12's for something like a Weber 12F150 or California will make a huge difference as well (its gonna get heavier though). FWIW, merely changing the bias into a normal range will make a big improvement in warmth and chime.
    -Darren

13. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I've never heard a Twin that wasn't super loud or very bright. I also vote bad tubes. Those tend to make Fenders quiet, dull, and broken up. You said it was "new"?