Fender Twin Reverb...is it Worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gman90, May 24, 2018.

1. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Member

I had this question as well.... Did some research. Presently I own a DRRI. LOVE LOVE LOVE It. Cut the bright cap and put in an Eminence Cannabis Rex. Not needing anymore power. 22w does the trick for bedroom, garage jams, small clubs, and small outdoor venues. Even at 3, I get great cleans with minimal breakup and it cuts through the mix very well. Takes pedals incredibly well. That being said, If I needed more power, I'd upgrade to a 68 vibrolux. 35 watts with two tens is very very loud.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  2. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

Twin is a great amp to own, but as mentioned...comes with some downsides.

Considering that you seem to be at the start of your musical yourney, be aware that there are so many amps on the market that will get the job done. Some better loud, some better x. What works for you...you are yet to Discover...so you will not be able to buy an amp for life atm...so that's a good reason to buy what you need atm / near future...not what you may need someday.
    Also, when not 100% sure what is keeper, make a shortlist of options, scan the used market, be patiënt, and step in at a good price. This Will allow you to experiment without financiël impact.

Wolfboy1 and gman90 like this.
  3. fescue

fescue Member

Deluxe Reverb? Aren’t those 22 watts? I think that’d be way more manageable than a Twin Reverb in terms of hauling it around for gigs and 85 Watts is a s*it ton of horsepower for a bedroom amp.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  4. CthonicEwes

CthonicEwes Member

A Super Reverb is not 89 pounds. Much lighter. I think you're referring to the "Super Twin Reverb" which is loud, heavy, and terrible sounding.

5. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Classic rock, alternative, punk, grunge, 90s-2000s...

...Don’t want the amp to get dirty cranked...

...And looking for twangy trebly sounds? With a DS-1?

There are a lot of oddly conflicting things here...

stonem likes this.
  6. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I was just taking that off the fender field guide site (I've played a few supers but never owned one), and you are correct, that must be a typo on their site. They say the BF one is 60. I'll fix the above.
    Still not particularly light. When you start getting up there, they are just different degrees of "heavy"

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  7. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

60 lbs is not heavy per se, but suddenly there's a flight of stairs, the floor unsuitable for using the caster wheels, etc., and you've got to carry the dang thing by its skinny handle. Yay.

muzishun and Wolfboy1 like this.
  8. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

I had a 70’s Twin with the master volume. I used it on stage and at home. It was the best home amp I had thanks to the master.

Considering they are not in vogue, they can be found for a song. You can get a vintage hand wired Fender for less than a new PR

9. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Not all venues are venues.

10. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

It's all relative. My Axe FX is 15 lbs and easy to carry up stairs, etc.

Old Guy likes this.
  11. Felixun1

Felixun1 Member

I love Twins. They sound great on their own or with pedals, even at 'bedroom' levels (under 2 on a twin). That said, I don't own one any more because I am old and they are just too heavy to be practical.

Wolfboy1 and slider like this.
  12. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

Yes they are worth it

13. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

Look into a Fender Concert. It is a small version of a Twin and not really so well known or talked about.
    Get the version with the most control knobs. It is more or less half of a Twin.

14. RodTruss

RodTruss Member

Not to derail but...

What’s the smallest/lightest Fender amp that will stay 100% clean over a medium loud drummer??

15. erics

erics Member

IMO probably a DeVille 212. I had one w Jensens & it was twin-like on the clean channel & was loud.
    I sold it to fund a DRRI purchase (which will also keep up with a drummer as long as he isn't a gorilla)...

RodTruss likes this.
  16. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Super Reverb.

17. TombstoneDues

TombstoneDues Member

I’ve played twins for years. My old band played 1000 seat venues and the other guy had an Orange half stack. My current band plays 200 seat bars and the other guy plays a JCM900. I never get above 3-4 on the volume live. Do I need a twin? No. And it doesn’t sound like you do either. That said, I love the voicing and versatility. It’s a very loud, very clean amp. Great for pedals.

It can do everything you’re asking, but it sounds like there are better options for your particular situation.

Also, you should absolutely buy a twin. I’m sorry.

morgan918 and openbar like this.
  18. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

Conflicting....not really, that was basically Kurt Cobain's rig. :)

lumberjack1 likes this.
  19. muzishun

muzishun Member

I was gonna suggest hot rod deville.

I had both and liked the hr better. Great cleans loud no problem. And I mean CLEAN.

You must have cranked that thing. Maybe they're different... I bought mine '99.

lumberjack1 likes this.
  20. walkindaddy

walkindaddy Member

how about the McFly amp?

[​IMG]

Stites likes this.