Fender Twin Reverb...is it Worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gman90, May 24, 2018.

1. SecondFloorTones

SecondFloorTones Member

Yes, and that’s the point - he wants a Twin.

What are these more practical means that sound like a Twin, specifically?

Seriously, I’ve had a lowly TRRI since 2009, and it’s just the ticket. Getting confused by overdosing on TGP I tried the whole “remove two tubes and disconnect one speaker, ripping out the 12AX7 from the normal channel and substituting the PI 12AT7 with it” malarkey. Right now it’s back to stock because none of the mods did improve the amp one iota in my book. Do other, lighter, more practical amps have clean tones? Yes, they do. Do other more convenient amps serve up spring reverb and tremolo? Yes, they do. Do other amps sound like a Twin - not just loud & clean, but actually like a Twin? Possibly - which specific amps are we talking about? If you want a Twin, get a Twin! If you want a non-specific clean tone, get another, more convenient, lighter, cheaper amp.

PS. Among the pro’s that gigged with a TRRI you’ll find Bill Frisell. DS.

PCalugaru and Rhythm Rocker like this.
  2. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

It's a commitment, but I say go for it. There's nothing else that sounds like the big iron, and if that's the sound you want, that's the sound you want. You can't model satisfaction.

PCalugaru likes this.
  3. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

One of my first rigs after high school was a TRRI, ProCo Rat, Boss DD-3, and Strat. At the time I was playing a lot of classic rock and blues rock covers. Was it loud? Yes. Was it heavy? Yes. Did it sound great? Yes!

I miss that rig. It was great in my early 20's but it would be all but useless to me now in my 40's.

4. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

A twin has a great deal of volume and headroom. Be careful. It won't break up anytime soon even when dimed.

AbePhroman likes this.
  5. jekylmeister

jekylmeister Supporting Member

Yeah, if you didn't like the DeVille or those types, you probably won't be happy with the Twin, which will blow the windows out (cleanly). Have you considered a 20W Marshall? They've got two new ones for about $500. For Classic Rock and Alt/Punk, I think you'd find the tone in those.

6. fatztreeboy

fatztreeboy Member

my answer is yes, it most definitely worth it.... currently u can buy a used real early 70's silverfaced 100 watt model for 6/700 bucks... it was good enough for jerry garcia.... 2 other points if i may.... don't worry, you will find reasons to use all 100 watts . ha ha ha,..... being able to rip off a huge lead for the neighbors is a great mood elevator. also, if u buy something else you will ALWAYS wonder if u should have gotton the twin..... get it now....; my advice is to totally avoid the re-issues... u will never be able to re-sell it... The Fender Twin Reverb is the King of Amps....might as well get it now (I found one recently w/ two tone tubby red alincos in it .. a 73 for 600 in san francisco.... silver face twins r falling out of favor for some reason but if ya wanna be awsome, don't pay any attention ...... also, a twin and a strat r made 4 each other...by leo himself.....good luck w/ the purchase :)

7. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Get a head and some kind of output variac if you do. They sound great, but also very loud. Twin combos are heavy as all get out - and they were back breakers when I was a young buck.

Get an Line 6 Amplifi 50 for the bedroom - they actually have a decent Twin model. You can hear the tubes (simulated, but not bad, IMO) at a lower volume.

8. cheezit

cheezit Member

I am so over attempting to get a loud gigging amp to work well at bedroom or spouse-compatible levels. With a Twin you will barely crack open the volume knob - seriously, it's a matter of the tiniest nudge and you are scaring the dog. It's just not fit for purpose.

The thing that a Twin has that most other Fenders don't is that big 2x12 cabinet. That's probably the sound you're after, not the 100 watts of clean headroom that you'll never come close to using even 5% of.

AbePhroman likes this.
  9. cheezit

cheezit Member

And here we have the little devil on your shoulder...j/k

fatztreeboy likes this.
  10. Morgancograve

Morgancograve Member

There is a fat bottom end out of a twin that I’ve not experienced in any other amp

11. morgan918

morgan918 Member

Buy a used Twin. If it's too much then you can always downsize, just start at the top and work down. Don't waste time or money with something you don't really want...

fatztreeboy and PCalugaru like this.
  12. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

Sometimes you just got to try for yourself. If you have the money, buy a used one. Try it. If you don't like it, sell it for the same money.

I was gassing for a Twin (the late 70s 135w version with JBL speakers, specifically) for a while, but figured it's just too much amp for my needs. Too loud, too clean, too heavy, too expensive to retube. I got a Rivera Chubster 40 instead, which is very reasonably priced, sounds great clean and overdriven (on the "Fender channel", the overdrive channel is an acquired taste), takes pedals well, has a great master volume (although the amp definitely sounds the best when cranked a little), is a lot lighter (45 lbs, which is my limit for amps I need to carry), etc. Seriously, look into Rivera amps. Underappreciated and underrated amps that are handmade in the US with top-notch quality and customer service and can be had for very reasonable money.

13. PCalugaru

PCalugaru Member

It’s clear most commenting have never owned a Twin Reverb.

Why these people feel the need to comment on something they don’t know about IDK... then interject their own amp preference is perplexing.

A) Twin Reverbs do NOT have to be played super loud for them to break up. However a Twin Reverb’s break up is marginal compared to most amps. Think old school overdrive and half that.

A Twin Reverb is all about the complexity and articulation of the the notes/chords. It has its own inherent note bloom that on the lower registers of the neck sizzle (exspecailly when using a Telecaster) and on the higher register is thick and clear almost bell like (not thin)

B) Twin Reverbs sounds great at low volumes! My Twin is one of the best amps I have for playing at low volumes. But.... it’s a very stiff amp. If you play sloppy people will hear it. The Twin is all about notes that pop, punch and snap, it’s not a very smooth & loose amp.

Hence Twang banging Tele guys like me love them.

C) Twins take pedal ok.. Yes I sad "ok..." Not the best. There are better Fender amps for pedal platforms such as the HRD line. The HRDeville IMO is a great substitute for a Twin, however it does have a different tone stack based more in the Bassman/Tweed Family. As far the pop, punch and snap with a HRDeville, one gets about half a Twin.. (although a HRDeville has its own strong suites different from a Twin).

Weight could be an issue if you have a bad back ... but just use a decent luggage carrier that you can move it around with. And considering next the the HRD line the TR is the second most popular amp on a back line in the USA ..... The only way a Twin Reverb is too munch of an amp is if you are a "he-man" millennial wimp that never leaves home without your tampons.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    dacula789, morgan918 and Laganlad like this.
  14. DigDug78

DigDug78 Member

Kemper, then buy some of the profiles from the amp factory. If you don't love it, return it and buy a twin. 6 months later when you decide you like two rock amps now, you will have that instead and then you will tire of that soon too... or you buy a kemper and you're done, your roommates and neighbors are happy.
    I own one small practice tube amp that I love and the kemper is loaded with the rest on my bucket list.

15. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

Awesome, brah.

NAME likes this.
  16. Snowdogyyz

Snowdogyyz Member

Love my 67 AB763 blackface! Not enough to carry around though!
    [​IMG]

17. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

I highly recommend plugging into one of the Fender Mustang solid state modelling amps. There is a VERY nice Super Reverb in there and it sounds really clean and Fender-y. Coming from a guy who has an Axe Fx II and has played the real deal as well, I'm super impressed. I have the Mustang I which is only 20W, but it gets LOUD if it has to just to noodle around with in the family room, and I love it.

Worst thing is you try it and hate it. Worth a look, though.

fatztreeboy likes this.
  18. cheezit

cheezit Member

Larry the Cable Guy better watch out, this is some hot material right here. Love the use of "munch" instead of "much."

Jamie_Mitchell and Baxtercat like this.
  19. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

Ssshhhht!...you can only say stuff like this in the modeling section!!
    Actually, just got back from a gig...powered kpa and an archtop on my bycicle...plugged into the venues cab...and powered up my twin...

Its a pricy mf...but considering the gear i sold, and what I did not buy cause of it, and the combi of “grab and go”..and “bang your head off”...in one unit...its actually a cost saving device :)

DigDug78 likes this.
  20. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Buy the Twin and use both amps. Try to remember to have fun.
    Oh...and find an old rehearsal barn or something where you can crank
    up the Twin. There is nothing like a Twin Reverb turned up loud and proud.

fatztreeboy, ctreitzell and Stites like this.