Fender Twin reverb re..started _part1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by alderbody, Jul 7, 2009.

1. alderbody

alderbody Member

About 7 years ago i bought a heavily used early 80's twin.

[​IMG]

A local tech made it work, and some time later i replaced the worn speakers with Eminence Legends.

[​IMG]

...i was never really pleased with the tone, so i built many pedals in order to make it sound good, and i succeded quite a lot.
    But i needed my amp to sound good on its own, so i had to learn how to do it.

I started with many known books (Dave Hunter, Gerald Weber) and after gaining some knowledge upon the subject i made the decision to overhaul the twin...

The main goal was to get it as close to the AB763 circuit as possible, and make it work correctly.

It started life as a 135Watter master volume export model, with the ...infamous UL transformer. :D

Previous owners must have given it really hard times, plus the various mods it had undergone over the years. It was a true "road warrior"...

While i had the overhaul in progress, i bought jc maillet's book, and i had a very close co-operation with the man himself.

After numerous tests, trial and error, studying and ...consulting i managed to get it to AB763 spec, plus some of the "jc mods" which made the amp sound exremely well!...

The super-final version of the amp's layout is this:
    [​IMG]

The pot in the master volume's space is a Dwell control, and the pull switch unloads the circuit from the Vibrato.

I used some Jupiter caps, some TAD caps, some Mallory 150s and only ...one of the original orange drops.

There are also some Hi-Tech Kiwame resistors in some places in the signal chain, plus an excellent shielded teflon wire, where needed.

I replaced the (unshielded) plastic wires everywhere in the signal chain with solid core cloth wire.

Just because i've been playing this amp for many years, plus all those tests and replacements took place during an almost ...5 month period (worked during my very limited free time), i can tell that these changes affected tone quite a lot.

I revoiced the "Normal channel" and added reverb to it ( i can't live without it), so now i have two useful amps in one.

Of course, UL, MV and other ...hamful for the tone abbreviations are out of my amp.

Lasty, all electrolytics are replaced and new tubes are in.
    I use TAD 6L6GC (excellent!!!) and a combination of new and NOS preamp tubes.

[​IMG]

But i didn't stop here...

I bought a couple of Eminence Delta Pros, to be able to hear all these caps and tubes... :D

Here's a pic from the testing times:
    [​IMG]

But i had to take it a little further...

I always loved cream Fender Amps... :bow

So since i completely dismantled the twin, it was a "now or never" cituation...

And the party began... (photo essay)

De-Tolexed and sanded the cab.

I had the information that the cab should have been finger-jointed solid pine (according to Fender's 1982 brochure, which i happen to own)

Sandind revealed that CBS tricked us Europeans and shipped laminated pine cabs:

[​IMG]

Here are a few pics of the bare wood:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My first thoughts were to TungOil it and forget about Tolex, but the condition of the wood was not quite good, plus after fine-sanding to reach "oil-able" levels ther wouldn't be much cab left to Oil... :D

to be continued...

2. Tele71

Tele71 Gold Supporting Member

Very nice indeed. It would tolex that cabinet though. I will look great with blond on her.
    From this [​IMG]
    To this [​IMG]
    To this [​IMG]
    :)

3. Tele71

Tele71 Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I couldn't resist one more.

4. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

cool stuff and a nice job. thanks for posting.

5. AL30

AL30 Member

Nice job. You certainly cleaned up the wiring in there. Those things are mess stock. Looks great.

AL

6. Franktone

Franktone Member

What an awesome job you did on that Twin. It has vintage looks and vintage type of innards. What an amp.

7. alderbody

alderbody Member