fender twin reverb... turn it up to get the goods?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by EvilNat, Jun 2, 2008.

1. EvilNat

EvilNat Member

I know that the twin is super loud, but do you really need to turn it up to get that sweet clean sound? I mostly play at home and volume is an issue for me..

2. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

they need to be fairly loud IMO to really sound their best. In fact I think they are way overpowered for most situations. But man they sound great opened up!

It should sound pretty good though at moderate volumes just not 'don't wake the baby upstairs' volume.

3. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I use a 135W SF twin at home. Master and Channel volume at 3. Not loud in my book (i.e. no complaining neighbours) and good sound.

But, I agree most amps sound better at a higher volume, even a Twin that hardly has any breakup.

4. cacibi

cacibi Member

I think if you check out some Junior Brown recordings - you'll get a taste of what it gives up when cranked. Especially the quality of the overdrive - which always sounds unique to me as broken up Fenders go. Has an edgy/raw quality to it.

5. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I dont think twins need to be cranked to sound really good. As a matter of fact,IMO, too loud and they fart out on the lowend.

6. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

IMO....Having owned a Twin I agree with this. I once cranked it up (i.e 7-10 on volume with guitar fully open) just to experiment. First, it was so loud I found it unpleasurable no matter what tone it yielded. Second, I didn't think the tone greatly improved up the volume dial.

For me, the sweet spot was roughly between 3 and 5 on the volume...and believe me that was still loud enough.

7. EvilNat

EvilNat Member

for a twin, i really dont care about breakup at all, i am just looking for that sweet clean tone.. if i want some dirt, i will add a tubescreamer or the like.

i have been seriously looking at the deluxe, but it has a bit of a warm character to it that doesn't sound nearly as good as the twin..

maybe i should check out a super reverb...

8. wleeds

wleeds Member

Super may be louder than the twin. Moving 40" of air as opposed to 24"
    Deluxe is awesome, big, warm and sweet sounding. Or try popping a couple of power tubes on the twin. That'll knock down the output considerably.

9. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Sorry to disagree........been there done that....you state that volume is an issue but you need to realize that the TRRI is one of the most powerful combos ever made unquestionably capable of causing permanent ear damage in a home situation if not VERY careful. There is a very distinct sonic difference between BF vs Tweed and you need to first figure out which you prefer as it's apples and oranges. I much prefer the sound of my Deluxe RI to the Twin. I was in the hi-fi business for 36 years and never had any issues with my ears tingling until I bought a TRRI....traded it back a week later.............don't misunderstand it's cleans are legendary but when I wanted to kick my head in with some old Keef riffs as I like to do the TRRI simply hurt. I also MUCH prefer natural crunch and breakup to ANY pedal and a TRRI simply won't crunch at normal human listening levels! The birth of rock n roll was created with TWEED and being 56 that's the sound that's in my head as I grew up with it.............good luck!

10. gratay

gratay Member

I own a AB763 Twin Reverb ....85w

I find that it can sound pretty good once the volume gets to 3 ...thats where it starts getting pretty fat and full sounding...
    In a gig situation i usually have it around 4-5

Maybe try a lower gain valve in V2 and plug into the 2nd input ....I find it works at home but I'm not wanting anything other than just to hear it barely..

11. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

I play my twin between 2.5 and 3 in m house, and for gigging, 4-6, thats REALLY loud too. But my pedals for sure sound better when its past 3...

Brandon

12. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

For some sweet clean tone at home, I'd say check out the Princeton Reverb RI that's coming out. Seriously. The clips I've seen and heard so far are pretty dang good IMO.

If volume is an issue for you, I just think you'll end up frustrated trying to use a big amp like a TRRI or SRRI.