Fender Twin Reverb -vs- Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarman1956, Jan 22, 2008.

1. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

I've owned the Twin Reverb, but never the Deluxe. What makes one different from the other. Why would you choose one over the other?

Thanks

2. 67super

67super Member

2 different beasts.

The Twin is so much louder with tons of clean headroom. The twin was designed for clean headroon, not only more powerful but interleaved transformers which have more clean bandwidth so to speak.

I love both amps and they fit different gigging situations.

3. karmadave

karmadave Member

Twin is a CLEAN amp with maximum headroom. Deluxe breaks up sooner and gets a sweet overdriven tone at reasonable volumes. Both are great amps, just depends on your needs...

-KD

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Deluxe Reverb is a heck of a lot lighter than a Twin. I played a number of the reissues Twins and they all sounded good even at low volumes for nice cleans. But that is a spanky clean clean. I bought a DRRI which also sounds nice at low volumes for cleans but the notes take on a zingy richness with the volume past 3.5 with a nice smooth grind around 6. if you like twins, they have got to be the most prolific tube amp ever. There is always at least 6 from blackface to redknobs for sale at a fair price even here in gear starved BC.

5. Shawn3786

Shawn3786 Member

I've got the DR RI and the tone is unbelievable. With it having 1x12 it can bloom so great lows. The only problem I've encountered being a clean player and using pedals for OD and leads is that I could use the Twins clean head room more so at times. Also the extra 12 is a great addition. It really all depends on if you want clean head room for sure vs. the fact that the DR RI breaks up sooner for a warmer smoother overdriven tone. You might prefer 22 watts to 85 watts, you know what I mean? That's what you should really be thinking about. And you know that the Twin ways a ton where the DR isn't that bad of a carry. Hope you find the best fit! --Shawn

Erswell likes this.
  6. dharmafool

dharmafool Supporting Member

+100

7. effectfreak

effectfreak Member

With right guitar and right tubes I can get my Twin RI overdriven at 4. And i don't just mean a little od in the back, I mean fully overdriven 60s/70s sound.

8. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Weight/Size:

You've got some big differences in terms of size. I think the 2x12 format weighs in at 80+ LBS where the Deluxe is more manageable 30 LBS or so.

Power:

The Deluxe is running a pair of 6v6 tubes @ 22 watts where the twin's quartet of 6l6s will get up to 100 watts. Tube rectifier handles the power supply in the Deluxe, and can get squishy ( good or bad depending on yer needs) Twin is SS rectified and stays stiff till the ends of it's range.

Opinions-Yes they have their applications- but I've yet to want for a twin since selling mine 10 years ago. The twin works as a clean power source for keys etc with extended lows, but for where the guitars tonally bread and butter lives ie mids...I think the the deluxe is infinitely more musical and fun to play.

If you like the 2x12 platform and the the blackface sound. Might I recommend the Pro Reverb. Tube rectified, half the power of the twin (40watts) and just a great amp. Keeps up with a hitting drummer in it's sweet spot easlily. Perfect when the Deluxe Reverb isn't enough juice.

All this is just my take on these amps, and certainly there's plenty of great records made with twins out there. Check 'em both out and see what you think. BTW the RI versions of both the amps in ? are not the same as the real deal.

Best-

Jack

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Or even a Vibrolux Reverb (35w, 210) which is almost as light as the Deluxe (the Pro is almost as heavy as the Twin!) but has more thump and clean overhead. ACtually, with Fender, I feel like you have to pick the size of the combo to match the size of the room so you can get the amp into the sweet spot. You need at least 4 (Champ, Deluxe, Vibrolux/Pro, Twin/Showman) to get the job done :)

10. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

The Pro is the same size cab as a Twin, but it's lighter than the twin I owned- '66 with Utahs- 108 watts rms. Jesus that was a loud amp.

j

11. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I own both and use them according to the gig size. The Deluxe Reverb is killer in a small bar type of gig, the Twin Reverb shines when we play the local ballroom at the Hyatt. I left the stock Jensen in the Deluxe Reverb but my Twin Reverb had the 1st series of speakers (not Jensen) and I didn't care for them (bright & brittle) so I put two Eminence Tonkerlites in it and now it is very warm sounding and weighs only ~50 lbs, and has a Jazz sound to die for.