Fender U.S. STD v. DLX?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Wesman61, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I'm wondering if there are any differences between the two aside from the obvious cosmetic, electronic and hardware differences. Seems like I read a few years back that Fender selects "tone woods" to give a better result than Their American STD models. Are the Deluxe models given extra care. Can Anyone confirm or refute this?

2. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Not officially, but I doubt they're hand-picking wood for the Deluxe models.

3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Not that I've seen, but I will suggest this. For the introduction of the new American Standard guitar line, Fender had clearly gone to great pains to find some of the nicest, lightest ash for their ash versions of that guitar. Since then the quality seems to have leveled off. I don't think they were producing Deluxes at all during the big intro of the new Standards. Normally they use what they have.

Bear in mind, you can't always see which bodies are the nicest until they're partially finished. By then the upper left hand neck mount hole is drilled, and you are either a Deluxe body or you are not. No swapping.

4. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Thanks for Your answers. I had to sell a Deluxe a few months ago and sorely miss it. I fully intend to replace it with a like-quality guitar later this year or next. I'm just checking out My options. The G&L's look cool to but I've heard they are a different beast all together.