Fender, uh, mistake?

xmd5a

I'm fairly certain that's a manufacturing defect. The idea that the previous owner pristinely managed to remove the "R" is pretty absurd. The question is, does this make it more valuable or less valuable? Personally, it makes me not want to buy it, so it's less valueble, to me.

I own the black and white version of this guitar, they have color matching head stocks. The orange looks decent, but I'd prefer a black or matching orange head stock. It's sort of a Gretschecaster.

UncleLarry

the end looks a little rounded off. I think somebody put a big ding in the headstock and sanded it out, and it took the R with it, then oversprayed it.

and of course, it's missing the switch tip. 1895 for that? The thread(s) about absurd used prices is(are) right spot on.
I believe that this is the correct answer. There's almost 1/4" missing from the end of the headstock. As for the switch tip, people steal them from guitars at GC all the time. The store may have removed it as well to keep it from going missing.

Codyyy

“BluesForDan” said:
the end looks a little rounded off. I think somebody put a big ding in the headstock and sanded it out, and it took the R with it, then oversprayed it.

and of course, it's missing the switch tip. 1895 for that? The thread(s) about absurd used prices is(are) right spot on.
I believe that this is the correct answer. There's almost 1/4" missing from the end of the headstock. As for the switch tip, people steal them from guitars at GC all the time. The store may have removed it as well to keep it from going missing.
I didn’t realize that but I wasn’t looking at the actual shape of the headstock. That has to be the answer though, I cannot imagine Fender even at its busiest passing a mistake like that through. It is a beautiful color, my camera didn’t pick it up too well.

olejason

The 'nub' on the end does look shorter than it should be compared to listings of the same model on other sites. You can see the 'E' also seems to be scuffed up or damaged.

onwingsoflead

Back in my GC days we got an Alvarez acoustic fresh from the factory that had the headstock logo spelled Alevarz. It somehow made it through QC. IDK, ish happens

xmd5a

There is nothing wrong with the head stock, it's all the decal. The nub is the correct size. The tuners and string trees are correct. Use the letter "S" in "Telecaster" and the last tuning post as reference, you can see that these two are placed differently from the factory. The way it's almost overlapped by the tuner looks crappy. I'm really surprised that Fender doesn't seem to have a decal placement template, because it's common to see the decal's laid differently from one Fender to the next. We can guess all day about how they happened in the factory, but no theory I can come up with seems like an innocent mistake. It's unlikely that the letter "R" would be so neatly missing from a run of decals.

You know what guitars I never see such errors on? Fender Japan models. Heck, I don't even recall seeing a Squier from China with a defect like this. This might have been sold as a blemish, but IMO it wouldn't have killed them to do it over or throw that neck out, for the price they're asking for these models. We're seeing more examples lately of MIA product being inferior to imports.

I also wish Fender would stick with the vintage Klusons and string trees for their vintage inspired models. Fender Japan gets that right, too.

Last edited:

Kid Casseroli

Telecaster, Stratocaster, Starcaster,...these are just verbs.

Tú telecaste is the affirmative imperative form of the verb telecaster.
Correct. For example:
Te vi ayer cuando tu tocaste tu telecaste.
In this example, I affirmed the imperative of using the past participle with an echo of one repeat.

Back on topic:
Judging from the photo, I don't see a Tele nor a need to add an "r", IMO.

Last edited:
I decided to stop in GC since I haven’t been there in quite a while. I found a sweet Fender... Telecaste there. I’ve never seen this before. It doesn’t look like the decal was tampered with, the gloss is in great condition. Is this a mistake? I don’t understand how it could have made it that far through QC, right? Either way it looked like a great guitar.
View attachment 277748
View attachment 277749
Maybe a colab with Tecate?

Trending Topics