Fender US Strat Deluxe V-Neck

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by iggs, Feb 26, 2008.

1. iggs

iggs Member

I'm looking into getting one of these. Can't find one in stock to try so I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences with these models and could offer some info ... likes, dislikes ... etc.

Yes I know I should get a Suhr, Grosh, Anderson or ... insert your favorite boutique maker here:____________; but price wise, this is what I'm looking at right now (regardless of the used market).

Thanks to all replies in advance!

2. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

These are great versatile guitars. The SCN's are a versatile pickup and give good cleans and great overdriven tones. The S1 adds some options to the tone, some don't care for the S1, but some love it. The neck is a very nice soft V shape, rolled edges, med.jumbo frets, not too small and not too large, but medium, yet silky and fast. The neck is a little smaller than the Eric Johnson model, and a little bigger than the stock C neck. Some find it very comfortable. If the V neck is your thing then you will like it. The bridge on these is very nice too, with an easy on/off trem arm, very stable if set right, with excellent controll and tone.
    All in all the American Deluxe Strat has excellent fit and finish, with great attention to detail. There are a great range of tones to be had in a very versatile package. There is no shame in owning one of these really great guitars, and if your looking for an excellent modern S-model guitar then you can't go wrong here.
    Best Regards!

3. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I just picked one up from Music Power in CA. I love the guitar. I played several before purchase. At GC, I played a "C" neck Am. Deluxe, A classic Players 50's , a Classic Players 60's, EC, EJ, and to me the Am Deluxe "V" was the nicest playing and sounding guitar of the bunch. I need a noiseless guitar on stage, and the SCN's are dead quiet, and they still sound very stratty to me. The S-1 system really lets the bridge pup shine and push your amp and effects. It sounds very full and you can blend in the neck with the S-1 Option. Bridge pups on strats are usually the weakest link, but with these SCN's you get the best of both worlds. And yes it quacks in 2&4. Here's a pic of mine

[​IMG]

4. iggs

iggs Member

Thanks for the detailed info!

I already have an American Standard Hard Tail (modded with two humbuckers) with a C neck that is a bit thin for my taste. I also have the Deluxe Ash Tele with the '52 U neck which I like a lot but wish it was a bit more rounded on the edges ... to me it just feels like a thicker C neck.

So, I am looking for some Strat single coil sounds (noiseless is a must) and tremolo since both my other guitars are with set bridges. I never played a V neck but it sounds like I would like it ... I much prefer thicker necks.

Thanks again.

5. wilerty

wilerty Member

JUSTJOB gave you a great description. I've had mine for a couple years and feel it is the best Strat available. It has the vintage look with the most modern specs. The trem is the best of all my guitars. They are relatively common so I'm surprised you can't find one to try in Toronto. I'm sure the GC in Buffalo would have one, but I would still call first.

Fender offers the same feel in three price ranges ... the Classic Player 50s, the American Deluxe V Neck, and the Custom Classic ... but only the American Deluxe has the noiseless pups and S-1.

6. iggs

iggs Member

And now for something completely different ... ;)

What about the American Vintage '57? How much of a difference is it in tuning stability between the two? I'm not going to do any dive-bombs or anything extreme. Does the '57 still hold up tune?

I know looks are a bad thing to go by when deciding on a guitar but I just LOVE the vintage look (without the vintage price). Also, what is the main difference in Nitro vs. Poly finishes?

Thanks again for all the help!

7. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I'll add that my Am Dlx V Neck Strat is one of the best Strats I've ever played, and I've played a lot of them (including vintage). The tone from the SCNs is great both clean and dirty and they are dead silent (something I appreciate). The neck is just right - thick enough but not overly clunky feeling.

As for comparing it to the '57 Reissue, you get better (IMO) playability and more modern versatility with Am Dlx V Neck. But then again some people prefer the vintage radius and pickups. If you want nitro finish with some modern features, consider maybe the Hot Rod '57 (although the V neck is supposed to be thinner on that model as part of the hot rod aspect).

I will add that the Am Dlx V Neck was the first Strat that I didn't want/need to modify. It's staying stock.

[​IMG]

8. Bikedude

Hey Mojoslide, it looks like you've lowered you p/u's considerably. Do you prefer them low, or high? I've been experimenting with mine, and I think they sound more "vintage" lower to the guard. Wadda you think?

9. strat6866

strat6866 Member

Necks are great but not crazy about the pickups or the S1 switching.

10. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

Bikedude, the pickups aren't that low. It just seems that way in the picture. I did adjust them slightly from the factory setup. I usually tend to drop the neck down a bit and raise the bridge up to even them out volume-wise.

11. Bikedude

Thanks, that's basically what I've done mojoslide. Lower the neck, and raise the bridge a bit, and voice the mid. for nice quack. Pic's are deceiveing.

12. acwild

acwild Member

I love the SCN pickups. The v-neck profile is one of the most ergonomic feeling for my hands. One other feature that I didn't see mentioned yet is that the tone knob is connected to the bridge pickup. The S-1 does nothing for me but it might be due to my setup. This guitar is pretty much perfect stock.:RoCkIn
    My bridge is setup like Jeff Beck's with one-and-a-half tone pullup. This helped to get the trem bar where I like it. Also, I lifted my strings out of the string tree to see if anything would happen. Even after dive-bombing, the strings don't come out of the nut slots, so I'm not sure why the tree is there.

13. wilerty

wilerty Member

The AV57 is a very different sounding and feeling guitar. It has a smaller radius, smaller frets, and the neck is narrower. It also does not have noiseless pups, S-1, or the newer (and better IMO) trem. If you do your own setups, the truss rod adjustment at the head is easier on the AMDXVN.

I'm not bashing the AV57 ... it is just different ... and many would prefer it.

I do like the AV57 colors better ... except the 2 tone burst, which is on my AMDXVN.

14. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

I bought one and it quickly became my number one. The SCN's are good but not great IMHO. But the most important thing is the feel and playability. That's what won me over, and why I bought a second one. You can always change pickups.

Once I played the V neck I was sold!

15. Bikedude

The V neck is fantastic. I've increased my speed and improved my picking attack just from the beautiful feel of this neck. This Am Deluxe V neck makes my 96 Am Strat Plus feel like I'm driving my 47 Packard, instead of my previously sold 99 Corvette.