1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Fender US Vintage Tremolo worth the extra money (compared to a mexican)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Drown, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Drown

Drown Member

Hi,
    I just bought a Fender mexican Strat with a vintage tremolo on it. Is it worth to throw it out and buy an US vintage trem? Is there a tonal difference? I´m really into that screaming singing solo stuff. So sustain is very important for me. Will the US version make a difference?

2. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

3. Supasso

Supasso Member

I believe the spacing is different. It won't fit your Mexican Strat.

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes it is worth it. The stock Mexican Standard one is pretty poor. As Supasso said a standard US (or even Mexican Vintage Reissue) bridge won't fit because the post spacing is slightly different, but Callaham makes a correct replacement that will.

http://www.callahamguitars.com/

... go to 'MexStd Upgrad' in the column on the left.

I wouldn't mess about with upgrading the block or saddles separately, just do the whole thing.

If it is a vintage reissue (Classic Series) not a Standard, you could still make a big difference by upgrading the crappy zinc block for a steel one, but it's probably not as necessary to upgrade the saddles.

I have no affiliation with Callaham BTW, and I wouldn't recommend upgrading if you already have a high-quality all-steel bridge since I really don't think it makes a lot of difference there.

5. Drown

Drown Member

I don´t have the Standard Mex Trem. It seems to be the Vintage one. Looks exactly like the one on the US 57 RI I´ve had a few months ago.
    This is it:
    [​IMG]

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes, all you need to change is the block. The one you need is the 'Vintage Repro Block enhanced'.

Check the string spacing is 2-7/32" before you do...

7. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

I agree with John P, I changed the block on my Deluxe Players, made quite a difference.

8. Drown

Drown Member

Will try the Callaham Vintage Repro Block. Found out that there is a Callaham dealer 20 km from here. They have one in stock