Fender users

junior40

Hi have a 62 RI and a 76 strat and i am always breaking the strings. the strings always break on the same place at the bridge pieces. it seems like every time i bend the strings the bridge pieces are cutting the strings. i just re strung my guitar yesterday and my A string already broke...does this happen to you guys (ones who use fenders)?

RDM

You should probably take the guitar to a repair guy and have the saddle smoothed down with a file.

Soothsayer

(Paul)
Gold Supporting Member
A qualified tech can get in there with a dremel tool and smooth out and de-burr the bridge plate.

krog

Get some Graph-Tech string saver saddles. I have them on two Teles and a Strat and rarely break a string...I used to break them all the time.

Rocked Star

A qualified tech can get in there with a dremel tool and smooth out and de-burr the bridge plate.
That's the consensus I'm sure. You could do it too. Just take some very fine sandpaper and away you go. Don't go overboard. If you can run your strings across your saddles smoothly, you should be fine. If they get "snagged" or you feel the burr, keep going.

KCWM

This used to happen with my friend's 96 American Strat...A string, every time. He used Ernie Ball super slinkys. Of course, we had no idea about saddles and what not back then.

I haven't unintentionally broken a string in a long time..I want to say 4 or 5 years.

coolhand78

Get some Graph-Tech string saver saddles. I have them on two Teles and a Strat and rarely break a string...I used to break them all the time.
+1, i rarely break a string these days... actually i couldn't remember the last time i actually broke a string... they're great, great saddles..!

strat-rock

I had this problem with my Strat as well, and I got a Mann bridge from http://www.mannmadeusa.com/ He makes bridges for PRS I believe. Anyway, I haven't broken strings in years (well not new strings anyway, and mine last a long time) and, my sustain is way betterer!

junior40

they all seem like good ideas, thanks guys!...i know this is picky but i liek the look of the bridge pieces i have now and the other ones that were mentioned look different so i might have a guy try to smooth out the pieces then if that isnt working i'm going to get new ones...i would hate to break a string during a gig, my band mates get on me at practice as it is.

Trending Topics