Fender using stencils?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ted74, Sep 14, 2019.

1. WKPro

WKPro Member

If I was buying a relic, I guess it wouldn't bother me too much since most heavily played instruments will have similar wear patterns. As long as it plays/sounds/feels incredible, IMHO that's what I need with a Custom Shop.

More importantly, if people want their own 100% completely unique marks and dings, here's a crazy idea: play the hell out of the thing.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    PeterG, C-4, shane8 and 16 others like this.
  2. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

On a $900 Roadworn, it wouldn’t bother me, and it’s well known this was done, but @$5-7k, I might be a bit "ticked"....I would think (hope) the extra $$$$ would be going towards time spent in the relicing process, but maybe not.
    This is assuming these are real Masterbuilts......

@Ron Thorn would know

And for the record, I’m not the target market for these...I make my own builds and relic them "naturally".
    Just answering the OP question and the question in the linked article, not trying to fling dung :oops:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  3. Gclef

Gclef Member

This just proves how ridiculous pre worn guitars are.

Woowoo, fescue, bismark and 25 others like this.
  4. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I think it's reasonable to assume that on a Custom Shop Relic guitar people expect the guitar to be unique in the reliced pattern. To that end I can definitely understand people being unhappy about what they thought to be a guitar that got individual treatment, turning out to be getting an assembly line finish feature. That is IF all of these are indeed Custom Shop guitars.

With the internet and the rabid fans for Fender, I can't imagine how anybody could assume this relic pattern, whether on a Custom Shop or not, would not be noticed if it occurred on multiple guitars.

5. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

It's ironic in a way. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it has to do with fake wear and being upset is not real/unique.
    Something, something around there...

6. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

That looks like a pattern for sure. Now, since it is not “earned wear”, you gotta appreciate the irony of it being “phoned in”.

Woowoo, gerg6, BigPapiFan and 5 others like this.
  7. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

This is not news. Many years ago (maybe 5 to 10), a dealer had a series of Master Builder relics by the same master builder that all had wear that was undeniably template based. Undeniably. And yes, on a master builder's guitars. Painfully obvious when three or four guitars were lined up on the seller's webpage. I suspect it is way more prevalent than we want to know.

hunter

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    MikeMcK, shane8, gerg6 and 5 others like this.
  8. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

I’ve seen “masks” used on runs of guitars based on an artist’s guitar. SRV’s #1, Gilmour’s, Setzer’s, etc.
    That way they match the original, otherwise you’d be hearing the opposite gripe: “it doesn’t look the same.”

If these are not part of a run, then that Master Builder has specifically designed a wear pattern he likes and wants to recreate it. I haven’t seen that happen while I’ve been there, but I can understand why.
    Master Builts are a tiny portion of guitars the Custom Shop produces. 80% of the guitars the Custom Shop builds are relics. Also, aside from guitars we build for NAMM or tradeshows, the Custom Shop is entirely “build-to-order”...that means the customer or the dealer has requested it, which means only 20% of end users don’t want a relic:)

ToneLounge, shane8, candid_x and 21 others like this.
  9. Tootone

Tootone Member

I don't think this is a Fender "dirty secret". There are "build videos" on YT showing the builders with tracing paper outlining the wear of the original. Sometimes this is the pattern off a famous guitar like Frusciante or SRV.

The process still looks painstaking as the trace paper is moved back and forth to etch the boundaries, followed by scraping or "colouring in" the bare wood.

All that said, I'm not into relicing at all. If I paid $5-7k I would want all that money spent on making the guitar perfect in every way.

C-4 likes this.
  10. CapnRex

CapnRex Member

Send me your brand-new $1500 AmePro and I'll bang it up for you for the low price of $1000. It'll be cheaper than a custom shop and be pretty much the same guitar with a few little differences.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  11. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

:facepalm

12. wetordry

wetordry Member

13. CapnRex

CapnRex Member

:bonk

14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

The main thing I don't like about those stenciled guitars is that they don't look, to me, like real wear would look

C-4, shane8, Todd Lynch and 2 others like this.
  15. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

Now I don't feel so bad about my Road Worn Strat looking like every other Road Worn Strat...

16. Presc

Presc Member

That’s really disappointing to see. Stenciling is a production line feature. The whole point of getting a masterbuilt guitar is that it’s NOT production line but a bespoke instrument. (I do get it for replicas of signature guitars - different animal).

I also agree that those wear patterns don’t remotely resemble most actual vintage guitars I’ve seen.

Danny D and Todd Lynch like this.
  17. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

OK, so, there are those who want faux wear on their guitars, but they're getting upset that the non-genuine, false wear is being applied in a deceitful, disingenuous way? (I say, laughing)....that is comedy gold! :rotflmao

Say, here's a novel idea :idea...why don't you just do the work? Practice & play the guitar...a lot....and allow the genuine-looking wear you seek to occur naturally...! :eek:

Woowoo, C-4, Droliver and 12 others like this.
  18. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

This just in: Fender, a company whose designs are based around mass production, employs mass production techniques on their pretend-vintage instruments.

19. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I'm sure you realize that Fender, from very early on, as in when Buddy Merrill played maple neck Strats on the Lawrence Welk show and Leo didn't like the neck wear on the maple neck, changes to their products to minimize visible wear to their instruments...

webs and Danny D like this.