Fender using stencils?

WKPro

If I was buying a relic, I guess it wouldn't bother me too much since most heavily played instruments will have similar wear patterns. As long as it plays/sounds/feels incredible, IMHO that's what I need with a Custom Shop.

More importantly, if people want their own 100% completely unique marks and dings, here's a crazy idea: play the hell out of the thing.

Last edited:

Da Geezer

Supporting Member
On a $900 Roadworn, it wouldn’t bother me, and it’s well known this was done, but @$5-7k, I might be a bit "ticked"....I would think (hope) the extra $$$$ would be going towards time spent in the relicing process, but maybe not.
This is assuming these are real Masterbuilts......

@Ron Thorn would know

And for the record, I’m not the target market for these...I make my own builds and relic them "naturally".
Just answering the OP question and the question in the linked article, not trying to fling dung :oops:

Last edited:

Jazzandmore

Gold Supporting Member
I think it's reasonable to assume that on a Custom Shop Relic guitar people expect the guitar to be unique in the reliced pattern. To that end I can definitely understand people being unhappy about what they thought to be a guitar that got individual treatment, turning out to be getting an assembly line finish feature. That is IF all of these are indeed Custom Shop guitars.

With the internet and the rabid fans for Fender, I can't imagine how anybody could assume this relic pattern, whether on a Custom Shop or not, would not be noticed if it occurred on multiple guitars.

hunter

Supporting Member
This is not news. Many years ago (maybe 5 to 10), a dealer had a series of Master Builder relics by the same master builder that all had wear that was undeniably template based. Undeniably. And yes, on a master builder's guitars. Painfully obvious when three or four guitars were lined up on the seller's webpage. I suspect it is way more prevalent than we want to know.

hunter

Last edited:

Ron Thorn

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve seen “masks” used on runs of guitars based on an artist’s guitar. SRV’s #1, Gilmour’s, Setzer’s, etc.
That way they match the original, otherwise you’d be hearing the opposite gripe: “it doesn’t look the same.”

If these are not part of a run, then that Master Builder has specifically designed a wear pattern he likes and wants to recreate it. I haven’t seen that happen while I’ve been there, but I can understand why.
Master Builts are a tiny portion of guitars the Custom Shop produces. 80% of the guitars the Custom Shop builds are relics. Also, aside from guitars we build for NAMM or tradeshows, the Custom Shop is entirely “build-to-order”...that means the customer or the dealer has requested it, which means only 20% of end users don’t want a relic:)

Tootone

I don't think this is a Fender "dirty secret". There are "build videos" on YT showing the builders with tracing paper outlining the wear of the original. Sometimes this is the pattern off a famous guitar like Frusciante or SRV.

The process still looks painstaking as the trace paper is moved back and forth to etch the boundaries, followed by scraping or "colouring in" the bare wood.

All that said, I'm not into relicing at all. If I paid $5-7k I would want all that money spent on making the guitar perfect in every way.

Reactions: C-4

Presc

That’s really disappointing to see. Stenciling is a production line feature. The whole point of getting a masterbuilt guitar is that it’s NOT production line but a bespoke instrument. (I do get it for replicas of signature guitars - different animal).

I also agree that those wear patterns don’t remotely resemble most actual vintage guitars I’ve seen.

Guitarworks

OK, so, there are those who want faux wear on their guitars, but they're getting upset that the non-genuine, false wear is being applied in a deceitful, disingenuous way? (I say, laughing)....that is comedy gold! :rotflmao

Say, here's a novel idea :idea...why don't you just do the work? Practice & play the guitar...a lot....and allow the genuine-looking wear you seek to occur naturally...! :eek:

2HBStrat

OK, so, there are those who want faux wear on their guitars, but they're getting upset that the non-genuine, false wear is being applied in a deceitful, disingenuous way? (I say, laughing)....that is comedy gold! :rotflmao

Say, here's a novel idea :idea...why don't you just do the work? Practice & play the guitar...a lot....and allow the genuine-looking wear you seek to occur naturally...! :eek:
I'm sure you realize that Fender, from very early on, as in when Buddy Merrill played maple neck Strats on the Lawrence Welk show and Leo didn't like the neck wear on the maple neck, changes to their products to minimize visible wear to their instruments...

Trending Topics