Fender using stencils?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ted74, Sep 14, 2019.

1. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Maybe you can quote where I said that or even implied it. Um no.

juri likes this.
  2. 808

808 Member

Not sure why this is such a big deal. I have 2 FCS relic guitars that I play heavily and the wear patterns never cross my mind. The fit and finish is superb and I don't have to worry about dings on a pristine instrument. The haters worry more about relicing than those of us that own them.

budglo58 and monty like this.
  3. 808

808 Member

Guitar players are a pretty conservative bunch. Most of us are not really into the whole one off custom thing. Those type guitars are very niche. Just because fender isn't doing a ton of that type of work, doesn't mean they aren't pumping out some really great guitars that people love.

4. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

IF 80% of FCS orders are for relics, you'd think Fender would have a CNC-type machine that does most of the relicing work for them by now.

5. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Ah, movable goal posts, with a dash of red herring. Can't have a TGP thread without those!

Look, if there was a market for relic'd iPhones or cars as big as there is one for guitars, you may have a point here. With the exception of some designer clothing, there isn't really a market for this kind of heavy relic aesthetics, outside of the guitar world. If anything, outside of guitars, it's the opposite. People go out of their way to restore classic cars to the point of them looking brand new. To a car enthusiast, a scratch or a dent are not desirable features.

You seem to be fixated on the fact that I said "earned wear" and confusing it with me giving value to it. I don't give value to it. Really. I don't care how many battle scars I have put into my guitars, nor do I care to remember how they happened. But it is because I know how hard (and how often) I play my guitars, that I can't help to shake my head when I see these heavily relic'd guitars. It's because of how unrealistically worn they look.

Now, I know I am not the target demographic for these. So, I stay away from the relic threads. But this one was too ironic to pass by. Someone took issue with the wear patterns looking "too similar" from guitar to guitar. What this group of people fail to realize it that brand new guitars of the same model all look alike. Fender using stencils for their relics (if that is what they're doing) only reinforces the fact that these are new guitars! To get upset over the wear patterns and dents looking the same is so ironic, it's comical.

RicardoDiazHimself likes this.
  6. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I agree. That being said, I'm not the target market anyway, and if I were to get a relic'd guitar, I'd just have MJT do it for far less. Because I'm cheap. :D

Da Geezer likes this.
  7. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

Andy Summers Telecasters have a lot of relicing on the front and back of the body. While there are similarities between examples, because they are supposed to be replicas of Andy's actual guitar, they are not "stencils". The limited run of 250 guitars was built by several Fender master builders who differed in the detail they applied to the AS Teles they made.

8. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

I know there are people who won't care (and I don't care that they don't care...whatever works for you)...
    ...but IMO, this really underscores the silliness of, and how meaningless, the "relic" thing has become.
    They are assembly line, mass producing identical looking "old/worn" guitars (just saying that makes me laugh). :p

Imagine showing up to a jam or a gig, and 2-3 guys have different guitars that all have the same wear patterns.
    That's like going to work, and realizing that there are 2 other people wearing the exact same sweater as you. :D

If I wanted a relic guitar...I would at least get a new one and create the wear on it myself. At least then it would be somewhat of an original fake. ;)

cosmic_ape likes this.
  9. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

Right...people being upset that it's not an original fake...is a true Spinal Tap moment. :D

"But these go to 11." :p

10. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

Um read what you posted.

11. mdr-gtr

mdr-gtr Member

Own two relics. One from Fender (profile photo) and one from Rock N Roll Relics. Also own two non reliced Fenders. The Fender relic work look less realistic, the one from RnR Relics looks more natural. Perhaps Fender uses some kind of template or process to keep the work similar. I would imagine that not everyone at the Custom Shop room is equally adept at relic work so there must be some guidelines. But who cares? Like the look, purchase them. Don't like the look, do not. However both of my relic guitars are gigged quite a bit. We play once a month at a lively, crowded dive bar with a tight stage and seven players. It's guitar against the amp during breaks. It has picked up a lot of scratches and dings along the way and looks nothing like the original relic work. In the end it does not matter if a stencil was used or not because I added most of the wear now. That's the great thing about relics if you play out a lot. Plus I loved the rolled edges and worn neck right off the get go.

12. budglo58

budglo58 Member

13. scott

scott Member

Actually it's pretty easy to hear the difference between batteries especially in a tube screamer which is what Eric Johnson was talking about.

The only problem I have with relics is they don't look like real old worn guitars. I've got guitars that are really beat up from gigging and they don't look anything like these relics. If I posted pics of them people would rant about how it looks like a kid tried to do a relic job. It doesn't look realistic and all that. People actually think there is some sort of yardstick for "authentic" looking wear.

14. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I seen 3 ESP (I think) relic’d guitars and they had the exact same wear.

15. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

i used to think relics were a joke...then i got into dan strain's instagram site and softened my position considerably...i got a couple of tasteful mjt guitars that i liked the looks of, and then my very own danocaster, so i guess i'm cool w/ the relic thing as long as it's not over the top...i know "over the top" when i see it, and those cookie-cutter fender relic jobs were a joke, imo...

16. gretschplayer

gretschplayer Member

"The fake wear and tear on my guitar is not real!"

17. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

In fairness...why would Fender tell anyone how they relic guitars? It's a huge part of their business and giving away trade secrets is usually a poor idea.

83stratman and cosmic_ape like this.
  18. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Yes, in fairness, that is why I said "I don't see anything wrong with being secretive about the tricks and methods they use".

It does seems using templates and patterns that create duplicate wear patterns was a secret some buyers don't like.

hunter

John Hurtt likes this.
  19. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I looked on the wildwood site at couldn’t find any similarities between the masterbuilds,so I wonder how much truth there is to the article. If I’m a journalist I’m not using guitar forum users as my only source.

20. Coolidge

Coolidge Member

So they figured out how to fake a fake relic.