Fender VI or Ibanez SRC6 types..WHICH ONE?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Tommy_G, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Have a used white 2013 Fender VI Ltd Ed. (Made in Japan) on long distance layaway, totally refundable deposit.. Sell price is about US650, about half of the selling price when new. I phoned in the layaway and have never played a 6 string of this type.

However, when I listen to clips online I seem to prefer the Ibanez SRC6. I am looking for a more authentic full round bass tone vs a twangy deep voiced strat type (spaghetti western) tones which I hear in the fender type guitars.

My use for one is in a duo act where I play basslines and guitar solos, thus far, just with a regular electric or acoustic guitar.

Having access to the octave lower bass notes would be a great benefit in the mix. However I would probably experiment with putting the top two strings in light gauge to maintain regular guitar tuning on those strings

The Ibanez SRC6s would likely have to be mail order as there are none to be found locally or within the music store chain distribution networks where I live.

There are also Gretsch and Schecter but still seem too twangy like the Fender.

Your thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. olejason

olejason Member

Wasn't the SRC6 discontinued? I might be wrong on that. The Fender VI is perfectly capable of sounding mostly like a normal bass. It's just that a lot of people who use them play the spaghetti western or tic tac bass styles. I've gigged mine in the role of a normal bass and it worked out okay.

It is unlikely you could tune the top two strings on any bass VI style instrument to the same pitch as a normal guitar. At 30" the scale is just too long to reliably tune that high IMO.

Guiseppe and Tommy_G like this.
  3. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Its also unclear to me on the status of the SRC6, but I can find a used one with certainty.

4. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

The Ibanez is indeed a little more bass focused vs the Bass VI right out of the gate. The SRC6 has a modern Soundgear look, sound and vibe. However, the Bass VI can do bass really well if set up to do so. Dialing in the (bass) amp properly goes a long way, as does putting proper strings on it (I use Kalium 102 on mine). I also repurposed the strangle switch, since it was designed to cut low end when plugged into a guitar amp, enhancing the tic tac tone. I rewired it to be a series/parallel switch for B+M and N+M pickup combinations. Those combos in series are thick and bassy, even with the stock single coils.
    [​IMG]
    I took it further by adding a Duncan Blackouts preamp and locking the bridge down with bronze spacers, which furthered the bass response and tone.

Tommy_G likes this.
  5. aidilazrul

aidilazrul Member

hi there @Tommy_G,

My 1st post here in tgpn...

The SRC6 isn't discontinued. Only the earlier builds with rosewood fretboard were discontinued due to CITES. Starting this year, they are selling new ones with jatoba fretboard.

I own the previous one with rosewood board. Though rarely being played still, I have to agree with the others that it sounds just as normal bass. Especially after changing the factory strings, mainly the low E strings, which appeared to be D'Addario XL .084, which was too light, thus didn't have clear sounding. A swapped with La Bella .095 (from their Schecter Hellcat VI string collections, cause these have the perfect winding length for SRC6) has cured it.

Its low-E nut slot is wide enough to hold a .095 string without any mod.

Tommy_G likes this.
  6. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

I think your right in wanting to get the Ibanez for the sound you are going for. The Fender VI is a great instrument but it definitely has more twang than what you are looking for. I always think of the solo that Glen Campbell plays on Wichita Lineman. If you don't know the song, look it up it is in my mind the defining tone of the Fender VI. Not to say you cant get other sounds out of it....

Tommy_G likes this.
  7. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Thats great news if Ibanez is recontinuing them.i was also concerned about CITES since my options are importing from the USA.

I will check out Witchita Lineman.

8. leftcoast

leftcoast Member

I had bought an SRC6, which I returned for a GVB36 six string bass (the less expensive one).
    They both are good. The GVB36 has a jem-style neck and plays like butter, but, even though it has narrower string spacing than most 6-strings,
    the bottom two strings are annoying to play (most of my history is as a guitar player).
    I want to buy the SRC6 again, or something better. Carvin makes short-scale six-strings, but the necks are too wide.
    I wish someone would make a sixer bass that is legit, and that guitar players can enjoy. I don't like long scale.

9. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

It's a give and take to make a short scale bass that's 'legit,' particularly for the low B and to a lesser degree the E. The shorter scale loosens the tension on the same gauge of strings, which makes them not as snappy and tight sounding. This lower tension pretty much makes the potential of a good sounding low B nonexistent. (IME, 35" scale basses consistently have better sounding low Bs vs 34" scale versions.) If you get thicker strings to increase the tension, you start running into difficulties with intonation and string spacing.