1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

fender Vibro King amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kram21, Mar 13, 2006.

1. kram21

kram21 Member

Does anybody have any experience or thoughts on this amp;for blues and classic rock;will this amp be similar to a super reverb?

2. p.snail

p.snail Member

No. It demolishes a super reverb. I had a Vibro King and loved it. It's voiced more like a Bassman on crack with a '60's reverb unit built in. Great blues and rock tones. :AOK

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

My favorite current Fender by far.

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

It's heavy and doesn't have a lot of clean headroom.

5. John55

John55 Member

I've been on yet another amp search and the VK is one I'd like to try myself, but none around locally. I am currently trying out a friend's DC30 and absolutely love it's clean tones, truly the best I've heard from any amp, but the OD tones seem a bit harsh overall, and just aren't exactly what I'm looking for. Does the VK's clean tones measure up to the DC30? I've read the OD tones are a blend of tweed/BF, so I'm hoping they might be more of what I'm after.

6. brad347

brad347 Member

the vibro king is in my opinion what fender should be doing more of:

Invoking the spirit of the history of Fender with a new design that contains many of the design elements that made the old amps good. This, in my opinion, is more of a tribute to Fender's history than the cheaply made and innacurate "reissues."

7. Jokald

Jokald Member

I have had one for a couple of years now and have gigged with it regularly over that period of time. I love this amp! It has a great original sound unlike anything else out there and unmatched reverb. I highly recommend trying one. Check eBay, they seem to go through there quite often, that is where I got mine.

8. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

[​IMG]I disagree with the opinion on their clean head room, exploring the tone stack will allow a wide difference in headroom. changing the proper preamp tubes can alter the gain curve also, and certainly lets not forget how LOUD they are to begin with. The VK is in a class all by it self as far as fenders go, but all the custom shop amps are. Each one is different in form and function. I believe that many guitar hero's from the 60-70's has been seen on stage with them( trower,page,clapton townsend...)but what do they know? It's a great amp, with a great reverb, good tremolo, superior attitude and drive, not to heavy for it's size. and reliable, the early ones had a issue with the reverb driver(el84) and the factory changed to a 6v6 tube, but fender had a mod for the earlier ones to correct that and mine has not failed once in almost 13 yrs. I built the extention cab for it out of finger jointed pine and put in a V30 and a Greenback, you can mike any one for a different personality including the 10's, so if you are curious see whats out there, as far as BOOTEEK they're pretty reasonable.:AOK

9. 6120

6120 Member

I have a vibroking with the 2x12 extension cab and I think it is perfect for rock and blues, depending on the tubes you put in it and how you bias it you can get clean to a certain volume but I think it has more "tweed" like tones then the Super. I took out the 5881 tubes which produced more distortion for me at lower volumes and put the 6V6 in and I love it.

10. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

great amp, my #1 for 11 years. I have an EL84 model - has never failed me. I changed the speakers (Eminence Blue Frames to Weber 10A150, Weber 10F150T and Fane Alnico 10) to add a bit more fullness to the sound and a bit later breakup and it just sounds great. Wonderful with humbuckers and singles and with pedals. Extremely touch-sensitive. As stated earlier, very interactive tone-stack, amazing reverb, decent tremolo. Definitely a bear to carry, so I use a portable dolly for longish treks.

11. bailnout

bailnout Member

Never owned one but probably THE BEST clean tone I have ever played through. The reverb is lush, warm and spacious. The vibe is...well let's just say it's really got vibe! :)

12. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

I had one for about a year and a half. I didn't even turn on my Super during that time. The FAT switch rules my world! I'd love to figure out how to ptu that mod in my Super.

13. sideman

sideman Member

The VK has fatter tone than the SR, both clean and distorted. Very full, warm mids, and creamy overdrive. On the other hand, the SR has it's own well-known and wonderful tones - that shimmery clean sound and the edgy, lightly overdriven lead. I think of them as apples and oranges. But yeah, the VK is a good amp, and at $1200 or so used, a great value. Also a good looking amp.

14. mprvise

mprvise Member

Great amp - probably the only new Fender I have a remote interest in. As others have stated, it is a LOUD amp. I've played through a friend's a few times, and although it sounds fantastic I decided it was just a bit much (volume and weight wise) for me at this time.

15. daddyo

daddyo Guest

What is the diffference between a VibroKing and Vibroverb (new ones) aside fro the obvious wattage? The two are the most expensive amps Fender makes.

16. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

to many to mention here

17. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

daddyo --

The VK and VV are very different amps. I'd say that the VV rewards the heavy-string/heavy-touch player; you have to be fairly aggressive with your attack to really get the amp to open up. On the other hand, the VK is great for a player having a wide range of attack, but will probably frustrate the hell out of SRV wannabees.

18. Bullhonky Deluxe

Bullhonky Deluxe Supporting Member

It's funny to see all these great posts on the VK. It's a shame that the resale value on them is sometimes so low.

I have owned 4 Vibro-Kings. The first VK showed up demolished by UPS. The second one, I traded towards a 58 Bassman (had to do it), the third one was swapped to Larry McCray and became his number 1 amp for well over a year (totally stock w/ 6V6 driver). The 4th is one that I got from a good buddy that bought it new when they first hit the stores. The EL84 mod has been done (which is not necessary if you want to pop for a military spec tube that will handle the voltage), it now has a Weber Alnico and 2 early Kendrick blackframes, RCA 6L6s, GE 5751 in V1, and this amp just kills. It isn't an amp that I would call "pedal friendly", but it does warm up to a few.

I did not dig any of the VKs in their stock clothing, but once I did some tubing and spkr swapping ... they became a whole new ballgame. I have noticed that the earlier ones seem to have a little more girth in the tone department, and I prefer the EL84 verb over the current 6V6.

The weight of the amp (70+ lbs.) may be an issue for some. Also, the VK212 is a must for those times that you really want to "impress" :cool:

19. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I used to own one. The speakers are hard to break in, but the amp sounds MUCH better once they do. Until then, it's kinda stiff. I really like the sound of the amp at lower volumes, and at higher volumes (it is one LOUD muther) as well, intermediate volumes were good, but.... I dunno. It always seemed best at "loud for small a venue" kind of settings, and I tended to play mostly smaller venues at the time. It's a great blues amp to be sure. Blues and drivin' R&B sounds are its neighborhood. The reverb is probably one of the best onboard units in existance, period. There's not a great deal of clean headroom, but even its faux-clean is chesty and harmonicallly rich. I found the amp to be more bassman-like than Super Reverb-esque. Steely, glassy clean tones are not among its lexicon. I wished it had a tube rectifier - if it had a bit more sag in its circuit it'd be a real monster. One thing for sure - it is extremely heavy, but has only a skinny handle on its top. Roadcase with castors anyone?

peace,

jb
    :BluesBros

20. kram21

kram21 Member

everyone,thank you for the imput on the VK,i hope to audition one in the near future
    mark