Fender Vibro King head- ohms question

MartinHarispe

Hi to everyone, i just got an early Vibro King placed into a Bandmaster reverb Head . I have a cabinet with two celestion vintage 30 8ohms wired in parallel, cab i used it ? or i should build a cabinet with 3 eminence in parallel? if i plug the celestions cabinets into the external speaker its would be right cause thats for the ext. cab wich have 2x12 8 ohms? thanks for any help... wating here to not mess anything!!!
Martin

phsyconoodler

Ok.A Fender Vibrokig amp uses three(3) 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel for a 2.6 ohm load.The output transformer wants to see either a 2 ohm or 4 ohm load,so plugging into a 2-12 cabinet with 4 ohms load is fine.

However....it would lower the load with both the 3-10 cab and the 2-12 cab together would be about 3.3 ohm load.So still ok for the OT load on the Vibroking amp.

MartinHarispe

Thanks man but im still lost, some people tell
me that if i plug this vk head into this 2x12 parallel cab i will mess the tranfo and othera says thts its ok. What its the true in all this? I started to build the 3x10 cab bit also wanted to use ot with tw 2x12!

An alternative for you to use your cabinet 2x12" in parallel at 4 Ohms is to replace the original output transformer for a multi-tap Mercury Magnetics that has a selector of 2, 4, 8 and 16 Ohms. This replacement not change the tone of amplifier.

Despite the original cabinet of Fender Vibro King with 3 x Jensen P10R at 8 Ohms each connected in parallel supplying a load (8/3 = 2.67 Ohms), its original output transformer "sees" 2 Ohms.

Don't turn on your cabinet 2x12" at 4 Ohms in the original output transformer at 2 Ohms. You will damage your amplifier.

You have a great amplifier and a great 2x12" cabinet in your hands.

Enjoy it!

MartinHarispe

Thanks Fernando!!!! yes, i guess i will wait to find thoose 3 speakers, i just pluged for a little test on the 2x12, this is sweet as hell!

JOHNNY C

I have a Vibroking with both cabs 2.6 ohm 3x10 and 2x12 4 ohm , my question is can I use my 3x10 2.6 ohm with a 4 ohm head and not damage the 4 ohm amp?

pdf64

Yey, at last, an amp manual that doesn’t spin a pile of nonsense about standby :)
So the amp is rated for 60W@2ohms, connecting all 5 8ohm speakers will result in a 1.6ohm load, that shouldn’t be a big deal.
60W out of a pair of 6L6 is squeezing them fairly hard, so it’s probably best to idle them coolish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roe
Hi to everyone, i just got an early Vibro King placed into a Bandmaster reverb Head . I have a cabinet with two celestion vintage 30 8ohms wired in parallel, cab i used it ? or i should build a cabinet with 3 eminence in parallel? if i plug the celestions cabinets into the external speaker its would be right cause thats for the ext. cab wich have 2x12 8 ohms? thanks for any help... wating here to not mess anything!!!
Martin
Bloody hell I've seen this one posted a few times lol, don't mean that in a bad way to you.

I'm a previous owner. 2 8 ohm speakers in parallel will take it to a 4 ohm load which will be right.

I have a Vibroking with both cabs 2.6 ohm 3x10 and 2x12 4 ohm , my question is can I use my 3x10 2.6 ohm with a 4 ohm head and not damage the 4 ohm amp?
It's a 2 ohm output transformer because it's built to handle the 3x10 and the matching 2 z12 cab that was optional with it back in the day.