Fender Vibro King Reverb Driver

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jazztone, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Jazztone

Jazztone Member

So... I have searched the board for info on the pros and cons of the EL84 vs the 6V6 reverb driver on the Fender Vibro King.

Can anyone chime in with further advice about this subject?

I am considering a 1995 Vibro King that has the EL84 driver but am concerned about the fact that this circuit was eventually redesigned by Fender. Thoughts?

I know its heavy and lopsided.

2. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I had VK no.159, great amp, el84 reverb driver with some mod that was done prior to my purchase. I was told the el84 were biased hot and had a tendency to fail, so a different bias value was modded into mine. Fender changed to the 6v6 later in production.
    I loved mine, and will sometime soon buy another. I wouldn't shy away from it just on the el84 issue, check with a knowledgeable fender amp tech and see what he sez.
    Great, great amp.....

[​IMG]

I played it outside, inside, with a wedding/polka band, a blooz band and a rock band with a JCM800 along side...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Why a power tube for a reverb driver anyway? Most use a preamp tube ...

4. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

Several years ago, I had a Vibro King that had the EL84 reverb driver. It ate EL84 tubes like m&ms. It was an early version, right after they made the Fat mode footswitchable.

5. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

that's the way they're built?
    the reverb section is a copy of the old fender stand alone reverb unit, they used 6k6 drivers which are closer in design to a 6v6. Bruce Zinky designed it, he might tell you/us why the el84. the amp uses the other preamp tubes for return and buffer I believe

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  6. Billion81

Billion81 It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did. Gold Supporting Member

I had a '95 era VK with the EL84 driver..Probably had 200+ gigs on it. Played it hard and blew up a few of the blue frames. Never had a problem with the Reverb section though.

I had always heard of the problems with the early models. Never had an issue and I was not kind to that amp. I actually liked that they spec'd the speakers so close to the output power which kept those speakers in the sweet spot. The replacement eminence speakers were slightly higher powered.

With the right OD pedal that thing is vicious..

7. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

I have one from the first years production and it's never been a problem ~

8. Jazztone

Jazztone Member

9. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

I owned an EL-84 version with no issues at all.

10. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

The original reverb tube is a Sovtek EL84M (industrial 7189) that can take higher voltages than an EL84. Many people replace the original tube with an EL84 and have redplating issues. If you use a Sovtek EL84M you'll be OKay.