Fender Vibro-King vs. Pure Sixty-Four "64" vs. ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ahardmark, Feb 13, 2008.

1. ahardmark

ahardmark Member

Hi all,

I'm wondering if people that have played the Pure Sixty-Four "The '64'" or the Fender Vibro-King could give me some opinions on them, especially if you've played both amps. I'm thinking of the Pure Sixty-Four in terms of running through a 2x12" cabinet. Also, I'm open to other amp suggestions. See below for my criteria.

I'd like to hear about headroom, overall approximate volume at the point where the amp is beginning to break up (speaker dependent, I realize), what you like/don't like about the amps, etc. I like the Vibro-King, and I really like BF Twin Reverbs and Super Reverbs, but I'd prefer something smaller (weight). I'm also questioning the Vibro-King's headroom based on what I've read, never having had the opportunity to play one. I'd prefer a head/cabinet setup (without having to convert from a combo) to break up the weight, which is why I'm looking at the Pure Sixty-Four. Also, the "Curve" control on the Pure Sixty-Four looks great, but it seems to me that I'd want it to be controllable via a footswitch in a gigging situation.

I'm looking for an amp with Fender-style cleans, reverb, and a good amount of headroom. My ideal amp would be a head that's a sort of BF Super Reverb-Twin Reverb hybrid. Any other suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated. The amp should be a head, with a maximum cost of $2500, and I'd greatly prefer to buy new. Thanks! :)

2. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Never owned a Vibro King,but have played them in on stage as Backline amp supply,and found the verb to sound good,but there is no headroom when you slam big strings on it and very muddy when playing chord hard.
    I do own a Mean St. Pure 64 and this amp is outstanding for that BF tone,on the first 3 postions on the curve sw. it gets great deluxe and Vibroverb tones,and the next 3 are more marshally with some Dumble mixed in,headroom is outstanding,and trying different tubes works great,I have 5881,s and 5751 in V1 and Sylvania 12AT7 V2 works out great with OD pedals,and reverb is very BF fender.

3. davros

davros Member

I am waiting on a head version of the VVT Fralin, due to arrive any day. I ordered it because I want a big fendery clean tone and plenty of clean headroom for one of the bands I play in. Like you I wasn't interested in something heavy like a Twin.

The head version has a middle control. Mine has a fixed/cathode bias switch and an upgraded Bassman OT for a bit of extra headroom.

I haven't played one but was strongly encouraged to get one by a couple of pretty high profile players who use them.

If you have any interest I'll let you know how I find it - hopefully only a day or two.

I understand the VVT Bel-Air and Regulator are pretty damm good too.

Otherwise the Bruno Cowtippers are great for cleans - big, lush blackface - type tone. I have a CT22 but it's not so loud. The 35 and 45 watters would be great.

Good luck in your search.

Dave

4. ahardmark

ahardmark Member

Thanks guys, very helpful. Dave, I'd appreciate hearing about the VVT. Please post here or PM me if you get a chance.

Anyone else?

5. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

Having had the Fender, the CT 35, CT 22, and a 64 head. I still own the CT 22 and the Pure 64, but have sold the others. All the amps mentioned are fine amps, but I would take the Pure 64 over any of them. Not only will you get some of the best tone out there, you will get world class support. Give Jimetti a call, he is a class act.

6. lv

lv Supporting Member

Based on the two amps you're asking about, I think the 64 would be a better fit - will have more headroom and have closer to blackface tones. The VK I owned broke up very early (though I liked the tone). I prefer the reverb on the VK and it is more versatile.

7. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

Deeval nailed it in his description. Not much clean headroom on a Vibro-King, and that can be tough in certain gigging situations. I had one, and let it go pretty quickly because of that reason. But I've heard great things about Pure Sixty-Four amplifiers. Great things!

8. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

I had heard that the reverb of the pure 64 was not as deep as a Fender style reverb. I'd love to hear comments and opinions on that (I LOVE the fender reverb sound)
    Thanks!

P.

9. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

I am a reverb lover as well and it has very nice fendery reverb.

10. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

My Pure 64 has a very good sounding Verb,about as wet as a BF Twin can get,and when you push the amp the verb stay very cool in the mix doesnt overpower the amp tone,A very good thing about my amp when I purchased it I was told by the builder thatamp would sound better with time and indeed it did start getting a better tone as time was increased on the usage,

11. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I kind of agree with what has been said about the Vibro King. Not much clean headroom unless you add the 2X12 extension cab to it, it has a somewhat stiff feel, and weighs 70 lbs. IMO, it's a one trick pony amp...but it does that one trick very well if it fits your particular need.

The Pure '64 solves all the shortcomings of the VK and the curve switch allows you to alter the voice of the amp. You can hear its blackface heritage but it has its own vibe mixed in too. Also, accepts pedals better than any amp I've played...to me they sound like they become part of the amps tone rather than riding on top of it like so many other amps do..

I also like the Komet 60. With a set of RCA 6L6 blackplates in the output stage it will deliver a nice Fendery/Trainwreck tone with decent clean headroom...and a used one can be had in your price range. And the build quality of a Komet is second to none.

12. ahardmark

ahardmark Member

thanks, guys. great info. anyone else have any opinions?

13. Swampash

Swampash Member

Pure 64

End of story. :dude

14. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

If you're near NY go play a 64... you won't be sorry.

15. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Another vote for a Pure 64. I know you prefer new, but I bought a used (original version) head and a new 2x12 for a little more than $2500. I think Mark has dropped the price of his cabs for a while? It would be right in your price range if you found a used head. BTW, his 2x12 cabinet is AWESOME! Very huge and open sounding. You can tell he put a lot of R & D into it.

Also like Vaughn said a Komet with 6L6's sounds killer also. No verb, but I use a Vanamps Sole-mate. FYI, I'm using Ruby 6L6's, not RCA blackplates. I'm actually going to start looking for a pair soon. Anyone got any good sources? Seems like $250 is the going price.

16. stratlad

stratlad Member

I have no familiarity with the Pure 64 (sounds cool tho) but own a Vibro-King. Yes headroom is more limited... BUT remember you are working with a 60-watt amp with 3x10s. You don't have to crank it up to have volume. The VK was designed to provide somewhat different tones at different volume settings. at about 3.5 on the volume knob you are pretty much maxed for any real headroom - but you are already very loud - so headroom maybe ok in fact. At lower volumes, (3 and under) the VK is VERY sweet and clean and mine is dead quiet (great for recording). At volumes of 4-4.5 it gets kind of a marshally character going - a bit of a roar, whereas at lower volumes it's sounds more blackface like -becoming tweedier as you turn it up. Remember that a VK's signal first runs through it's reverb so you can dial down the reverb a bit to get some more clarity. Just a thought. Plus the VK "likes" single coils a bit more than it does humbuckers IMO.

17. ahardmark

ahardmark Member

stratlad - Good point about the overall volume levels with the Vibro-King. Hopefully I'll get a chance to test one out in the near future. I'll be looking to pick up an amp probably in the next 3-6 months, and everyone's insights here will be very helpful.

18. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

Why don't you just call Mark at Pure 64 and talk to him about what you're after. It might help.

http://puresixtyfour.com/