Fender Vibrolux - down a speaker!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RatProblem, Feb 10, 2012.

1. RatProblem

RatProblem Member

Hi everyone,
    I've been playing through a silverface Vibrolux (circa 1971) for a few years now. Had a bit of a transport mishap recently and and completely wrecked one of the speaker cones. I removed the speaker (fender special design) and rewired the outputs accordingly; the remaining speaker sounds great, and it gets a nice growl at a much lower volume now. But I have some questions/concerns:
    1. Is this risky for the amp and speaker? I haven't turned the volume above five (I figured: half the speakers should be fine 'till half max volume...?) which is plenty loud for my purposes. I actually really like the way it sounds, being able to make it growl at an un-painful volume and all. Great for recording at home.
    2. But if I do need/decide-I-want a new speaker for it, what kind of speaker would you recommend? I play a Tele and I like a crisp, rockabilly or surf kind of sound with a little tube growl but mostly on the clean side.
    Thanks!
    –Christopher

2. 335guy

335guy Member

The Vibrolux come with (2) 8ohm speakers running parallel for a 4 ohm load to the amp. Fenders are generally pretty forgiving when run at different ohm loads. So when you say you re-wired it, I'm guessing you simply are running one speaker for an 8 ohm load. This should not hurt the amp, but if you played loudly enough and long enough, the speaker could fail eventually. I'm not saying it will but the possibility is there. And BTW, # 5 on the volume control is close to max clean output. Above that, you are mostly over driving the tubes and would get more distortion. I think the Weber 10F150 would be good replacement speaker if you're just replacing one speaker. If replacing both, there are lots of good choices. WGS has some nice 10's for reasonable prices. Some like Eminence but I don't care for them. While their are efficient and well made, there is a flat sterile sound to them, IMO. I've been wanting to try the new Celestion G10 Greenback in my Vibrolux. I think it would be a good match up for my style. Maybe not for your's though. A WGS G10C could be a good one for your style.