Fender Vintage American vs Mexican?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fifthstone, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've been thinking about getting a Fender 70's reissue Strat with the big bold 70's headstock ('cause they sound better?). So there's the Mexican version for about $700 and the American version for nearly twice that. Has anyone here A/B'd them? How do they compare? Materials, workmanship, tone, etc.?

2. onemind

onemind Member

3. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Thanks for the link. I had never thought to look for Fender UK. Leave it to the Brits to explain all this in such detail. I hate the Fender US site. Barely any information at all.

Has anyone out there actually played both of them?

4. guitarlovero5

guitarlovero5 Member

wow! not to derail the thread but the UK Fender site kills the American site! It has a lot of useful info!

5. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Yes, pretty amazing. I think I'll just hit the UK site from now on.

6. justonwo

justonwo Member

In terms of overall quality and woodwork, the CIJs easily rival MIAs. The CIJs also come with US Texas Special pickups which, if you don't like them, can be easily sold and replaced.

I believe they have a couple of 70s Strats.

http://www.ishibashi-music.com/fenderjp/

7. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

So these are made in Japan Fenders? I wasn't aware they were still being made in Japan. Can you tell me where the hardware for these guitars is made? Is the bridge Ping as in the MIM Strats or are they made in the US or elsewhere?

8. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

When it comes to Strats, I've learned that there are dog & gems in the entire line. So IMO the best thing to do is to play a bunch until the right one finds you.

9. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

VaughnC,

I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere and have to resort to mail / web ordering to get my gear. The UK Fender site mentioned gave some meaningful differences between the MIM and US Strats. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get the US 70's Vintage Strat this spring. LOVE THAT BIG HEADSTOCK!

10. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

For what it's worth,

I have the Fender Classic series 70's Stratocaster...MIM I think that is the one you are refering to for the $700.00. The body wood is ash, but it is northern ash, which I don't mind due to the extra sustain it produces from the tight mass of that particular wood. I as well see that Fender now is offering an American version for twice that price. I truly do not know what the differences would be to justify the doubling of the price. Harmony Cenrtal reviewers currently hold the MIM at 9.3 rating. I have been playing the MIM model for three years now, and let me tell you that you would NOT be dissapointed. I did remove the stock pup's and installed some custom shop '69's, and replaced the stock tuners with sperzels (just my taste) I have had every piece of that model apart, and the quality is astounding. Please go try out the MIM version first, and take twenty minutes and read the reviews for it at;
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Fender/70_s_Classic_Series_Stratocaster-01.html

I most certainly think that it is a wonderful insterment for the money.
    Hope that helped out some.
    Take care and best regards,
    Mass

11. jhczar

jhczar Supporting Member

Maybe it's the weather in Chicago and the seasonal changes, but I swear I can identify a MIM Strat with my eyes closed by simply running my hand down the side of the neck, where the frets stick out over the edge of the fingerboard. I've heard repeatedly that this is due to the wood shrinking in the winter, which I can understand.

However, I don't feel that on the MIA's or CIJ/MIJ's. I don't think it's the rolled edges of the MIA fingerboard either. I have an '82 with a neck that wasn't rolled, and I don't rip my hands up on frets that overhang the fingerboard on that.

Other than that dealbreaker, MIM's look to be great guitars.

12. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

jhczar, I fully agree with you on that one. I live on an island that can have harsh climate changes and the guitar will go out of tune overnight in it's case if the humidity level or temperature change varies.
    Ultimately, my dream guitar is a Fender custom shop stratocaster time machine '69.
    I could not afford that model, so I went with the classic series '70's.
    soon, if I can buy or obtain the time machine '69 model, I am hoping that the Nitro finish will help the body breathe and be more resistant to the climate changes. My '70's has an artic white finish that is thicker than an M-1 tank. If anyone out there has a nitro finish, and could speculate on this issue, it would be most welcomed.
    I have no complaints concerning the MIM's for the price.
    Best regards,
    Mass

13. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

There are a bunch of Boutique Strats sold here in the Emporium every day that smoke the US Fender Strats left right and everyday at the same pricepoint (imho)... and you can get a used G&L for 6 bills that also is better'n a USA Fender

14. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Wha ?!?!?!? Thanks for the info. Now why do ya suppose the US sight is so woefully inferior (no other word really)?

jb

15. LHanson

LHanson Member

Quick stupid question: CIJ?

16. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

17. edwinhong

edwinhong Member

Well
    I went down to GC play both MIM & MIA
    it is two different guitar, looks almost same but body tone are different

18. justicetones

justicetones Member

I have both American and MIM Strats and Tele's of different years. I have replaced electronics in all of them and had them setup well. They all sound excellent and play excellent. I would agree with the post about the fret overhang on some MIM but it is easily cured with a good fret dressing. I always have that done when I have a guitar setup anyway's.

It really does come down to playing a bunch of guitars unfortunately.

19. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Is that guitar heavy? Every northern ash guitar I've ever held was a boat anchor. My back can't handle guitars weighing more than about eight pounds.

20. dallas

dallas Member

crafted in japan?