1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fender Vintage Hot Rod '52 Telecaster - TELL ME ABOUT YOURS!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by onestop, Jan 20, 2008.

1. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

So I've recently discovered the Fender Vintage Hot Rod '52 Telecaster and I'm a bit intrigued!

Do you own one or have you ever played one? If so, tell me you opinion on the axe overall and especially, the pick-up configuration.

I'll most likely make my way down to my local guitar shop (some day soon) to play one but before I do (and/or find the time to do so), please tell me what you can about this axe.

MANY THANKS!

2. Phil M

Phil M Member

I'm not a Tele-guy or a chicken-picker (blues, rock) OR a fan of maple freboards, but I played one through a Marshall Vintage Modern and it was outstanding. Nice chunky neck and just a solid feeling and sounding guitar. I would definitely pick one of these up used.

3. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

It's a great guitar, simply put. I don't think it's possible to get a bad tone out of one. Highly recommended.

And yes, I sold mine recently :D

Anyway, I have a video demo of it here and a slideshow of pics here.

Get one - you'll love it

4. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I played one at GC recently

WOW!

I was sold! I think I wanna sell my 52 RI and get it! It sounded soooo Tele like, but thicker, chunkier, and more focused on gain. The neck pup was gorgeous both clean and dirty - esp for jazz and R&B.

The richest sound I have ever heard is the NOCASTER, but I wanna see what owners say in this thread about the HOT ROD.

I want to watch this thread.

5. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the pics and demo!

Keep em coming.... although I think I'm sold :D

6. Dave

Dave Member

It's one of the best bang for the buck guitars out there IMO. The tone, build quality, and attention to detail including superb fret work is all there. Custom shop quality. Go for it.

7. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

You're welcome... and yes, you probably are sold. All it takes is about 15 seconds with that guitar in your hands ;)

8. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

it's a great guitar.

although when i got it, i knew nothing of nitro finishes, and accidently left it on a rubber guitar stand.

the back of the neck now has a dent, and the top layer of finish on the bottom butt of the guitar has been melted.

it's still great.

9. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

The Seymour Duncan neck pickup is a pleasant surprise. Very full and pleasant sounding. I prefer it to the bridge pickup in that 52 Hot Rod. The flatter neck and larger frets (than compared to a 51 Nocaster) feel good. I think this guitar is a nice deal. I recently purchased a Custom Shop '51 Nocaster. Big thick neck. Feels just great. Am getting a whole new outlook on electric guitars -- because up until this time I have owned Strats only. The Tele is quite a guitar. What sound. Already improving my skills because the Tele demands precise playing technique. You can count the 52 Hot Rod among the very good guitars. An honor to play.

10. DrSax

DrSax Member

Mine has replaced my Les Paul recently as my go to guitar. I'm in love. It's my first tele....I waited a long time and played many before I found "the one". Both pickups sound outstanding, and the neck just feels perfect.

11. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

How would you describe the neck size? I am used to 50's shape Gibson necks, so i'd be looking for something on the bigger size. I am still looking for the right Tele, and I am thinking this may be worth a shot...

12. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

The neck is U shaped. It's nowhere near as big as a 50's Gibson neck or a 1"-thick tele neck like Warmoth and All Parts sell... which is why I sold mine. It was a very nice neck, but not what I like. I like big necks and I cannot lie. You fellas can't deny... oh, boy.

13. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

+1 : )

14. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

If I didn't have my refretted and modded nocaster, I'd get one in a heartbeat. Teles can do it all.

15. obninsk

obninsk Member

Gents:

I have a confession to make here in public.

You see, I was a snob, a big one at that. Always thought rosewood necks, hollowbodies and two humbuckers was the only stick worth playing blues on. After over 20 years of gigging in LA, Seattle and Chicago playing Chicago, Urban, Jump and Swing blues, I thought that’s it…no room for discussion. I never thought in a lifetime would I ever play a maple neck, let alone "own" a Fender.

Oh lord forgive me for I have sinned....

Boy what a Gibson/Silvertone/Supro/Airline/Kay a$$hole I was! (Believe me, I currently own them all)

I picked up and played this VHR ’52 Tele weeks ago and am I eating a full portion of Humble Pie’ and damn if it don’t taste good because of this ax.

Oh yes, I repented alright: I bought it!

I am so pleased, infatuated and plain thrilled to have this in my collection and like others, it’s not a novelty; it's the real deal playas’ stick. Rest assured it is my "go to stick" at each gig now.

Rather than repeat what knowledgeable others here in this thread have already stated about the quality of this ax’s build, it being a Fender, I’m just here to share a personal and real experience with all of you. We could all flame topics about wiring, what pots and caps to use or not, if it’s this or that….GOD who cares!? Just go play this damn thing for yourself and let your ears be the judge.

Granted ,I came from a different ax mentality and thus what I will also share is this: I was very impressed how simple, stupid and dumb this great guitar is! I mean two knobs, two pick ups…that’s it!; it don’t get no simpler. Yet; the voice, tone and personality and range you can get from the wood, the neck, the SD Mini HB and the single coil of this guitar is absolute amazing. In a million years did I ever think that I could get a Fender Telecaster to sound like T-Bone Walker comp-ing chords on a Super 400 or that bridge pick-up?: Lord! Albert Collins rose from the swamp man! Keep in mind, I’m just a blues-man, with this here guitar, and a 57 tweed deluxe; no pedals, effects, modems or toasters….just pure tone from the flesh of one owns' hand.

Like A-1 sauce: yeah; it’s that good.

If I had 6 months to live and was told I can have only one guitar in the hospice with me before I die…this would be it. You all know how to buy a guitar, what to look for and know that no two guitars of the same make and company are the same…there are indeed, “ things to look for, to compare too” as well as comparing this Tele to Start, to a Gibson or a PRS or a Guild or MM, etc., or a etc., etc,…

So in closing, the thread here is titled “VHR ’52 Tele-Tell me about”; I just did. If your looking for flaming technical dissertations and diatribe, I suppose we could all sit in a circle a whack-off to the Gerald Weber’s types of the world: I’ll leave that to geeks and tech-noids….I’m speaking from the soul: they call that experience and I have given you a humbling and truthful account of mine of this most lovely, well-crafted and great sounding guitar.

Good Luck

16. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

I couldn't agree more. Played the 52 through a Bogner Metropolis and then a Carr Vincent. Whoa. I prefered the Duncan, too.

17. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member