Fender Vintage Hot Rod '57 Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fenderbender4, Dec 22, 2009.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had opinions/thoughts on this guitar? I guess more specifically in comparison to the Eric Johnson Strat, as they have somewhat similar specs (based on '57). The thing with the EJ I'm worried about is the the brightness from the quatersawn neck, as well as the sort of plinky high E and B strings from no string tree.

Thanks.

2. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

I had both. Didn't care for the fat neck on the HR... but that's me.

I noticed no sonic difference with the EJ's neck, and the lack of a string tree is compensated by its staggered tuners (progressively lower from E to E).

In the end, I didn't like either, sold both, and now have a CS56 with the 10/56 neck profile and 9.5" radius. Like the 3 Bears... just right.

3. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

Er... you're referring to the 62 VHR? The 57 comes with a Soft V, and is thinner than any EJ I've played. My 57 VHR is about 21mm at the first fret, and a 23mm thickness at 12th fret. That's not quite fat no?

The 62, IS very fat. Didn't quite like it myself. But the 2 57VHRs I owned are fantastic. I let one go to raise cash for something else a while back, but the 2 tone sunburst one I still have it a keeper for sure. I didn't care for the pickups, so I swapped them out. But the rest of the specs are pretty much what I wanted in a strat. Medium Jumbo frets, 9.5" radius, thin skin nitro, vintage bridge.

And for some reason, the sunburst one I have is extremely light. Just around 6.7 lbs. The black one I had was significantly heavier... Something like 7.9 almost 8lbs? Both were great guitars though... Both oddly had rift sawn necks. The black one was almost C shaped and was a wee bit thicker while the sunburst is definately a soft V and very thin.

4. PCR

PCR Member

+1 Demioblue

I have a 57VHR and a 57AVRI. The VHR neck is slightly thinner of the two. Definitely not fat.

Both of my 57's are pretty light ~7.5.

The VHR is an awesome guitar (my #1 this week). I too replaced the stock pups. I grafted the pups to a S-1 switch and installed it in my Am Ash Dlx. I didn't buy the VHR for the pups, so I wasn't expecting much out of them. The rest of the guitar is really nice; one of the best in my stash. I don't think you'll go wrong with either one.

5. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

Oh... yeah. The 62 Hot Rod was fat. Didn't like it. Sorry for mix up.

6. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

What's the string spacing on the hot rod?

7. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

It's the vintage steel saddles. Spacing should be pretty standard, no? Or are you talking about nut width?

8. BarkingTree

BarkingTree Member

I dont like 12 radius on a Strat..that would make up my mind between the two real quick. I have a 54 Thin with a big C...toneful..