• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fender Vintage Modified Amps

franksguitar

Has anyone purchased any of the new Vintage Modified Series Fender Amps with built in effects? I tried the new Deluxe 40Watt tube in a store and it's an impressive amp with standard Fender cleans and a vast improvement on the OD sound, and I bet beats having to carry a couple of stomp boxes for OD, delay & chorus.

GuitarSmitty

I got the Bandmaster VM, and I'm very happy with it -- both channels. It is running through a 2x12 cabinet with Eminence Texas Heat speakers, and I can definitely get good tones out of it. With a few pedals (JRC4558 overdrive, EQ, wah, etc.) it can provide a lot of different "colors" to work with, at a good volume level for live work.

While I have played through many vintage amps, I am not looking to duplicate them with the VM -- to me that's a fool's errand. If a vintage amp is what you want, get one and cherish it. To my ear the VM has beautiful vintage-style tones, and enough controls to get it at pretty much any sane volume level.

-Smitty

Bottle_Rocket

To my ear the VM has beautiful vintage-style tones, and enough controls to get it at pretty much any sane volume level.

-Smitty
You cannot----- I repeat can not----- get a powertube OD sound with effects or Master Volume.

If you think that a VM sounds anything at all like a vintage amp than you deserve the tone you get.

RussB

low rent hobbyist
You cannot----- I repeat can not----- get a powertube OD sound with effects or Master Volume.

If you think that a VM sounds anything at all like a vintage amp than you deserve the tone you get.
lighten up, Charlotte :NUTS

Bottle_Rocket

lighten up, Charlotte :NUTS
Sorry if I came off too heavy but there is no way a master volume amp will sound as good as an amp cranked.

The 22 watts of a Deluxe makes it IMHO an amp that is easy to crank up. 40 watts is loud and just not what a Deluxe is all about. Sorry.

EdMan57

Sorry if I came off too heavy but there is no way a master volume amp will sound as good as an amp cranked...
"Good" is a matter of one's perception of what is "good".Some players actually prefer the sound of a dimed preamp against a power section that is barely working.Although I do appreciate what you have to say about such [I agree about the glories of a cranked Deluxe],I've heard plenty of tube amps that become flubby and/or harsh when turned to full throttle.

Ed

HeeHaw

"Good" is a matter of one's perception of what is "good".Some players actually prefer the sound of a dimed preamp against a power section that is barely working.Although I do appreciate what you have to say about such [I agree about the glories of a cranked Deluxe],I've heard plenty of tube amps that become flubby and/or harsh when turned to full throttle.

Ed
Yes, ratty preamp distortion sounds good.:messedup :D

EdMan57

Yes, ratty preamp distortion sounds good.:messedup :D

It depends on the preamp design,EQ and one's taste in overdriven tones.My MKIIC+ has a preamp that overdrives in a very smooth way.You know the old saying,different strokes...

:)

Ed

GuitarSmitty

BottleRocket,

Your screen name is well chosen. Two different points....

1.) I agree that power tube OD is the best

That's why I also have a Blues Junior with 15 Watts as well. The problem with relying on that golden power tube OD is that you give up *all* control on where you get it -- you can't turn it up or down without changing the saturation level and thus the tone. This makes it really difficult to play with a band that needs to play at different volume levels at different-sized clubs. It is very frustrating for me to get a good tone/saturation level, and then when I need to turn up or down to fit in with the rest of the band I lose it. Oh sure, you can mike it, but that's another whole discussion on how that changes the tone and leaves it in the hands of the sound guy.

There's always the PowerBrake angle, but that's one more thing to mess with, and it's already a lot to fool with.

If you say I deserve the tone I get, thanks; I enjoy it. Odds are you'll never need to suffer through a single note of it.

2.) "...40 Watts isn't a Deluxe."

Again, I agree, but Fender isn't presenting it as a carbon copy, or even a reissue. It isn't an original Bandmaster either; they do say it's "Vintage Modified". I actually was looking for a 40 Watt amp to play rhythm with my friend who is a high-power lead-guitar Marshall guy. I also was not getting enough low end from my Blues Junior, and the 2x12 extension cabinet can't fully substitute for Wattage, especially on clean tone. You're entitled to dislike anything in the new amp that isn't identical to the original. As I said, if the original the best in your mind, get one and cherish it -- I'm glad you found an amp you're clearly passionate about. I'm keeping the Bandmaster, and I refuse to let you make me feel bad about it.

Regards,
Smitty

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member

Trolling alert!!!! :)

60HzShuffle

I got to play through one of these and to me, it sounded a lot warmer at "less than cranked" than a DRRI in the same room. It isn't a Deluxe Reverb clone, but it is a really nice sounding amp and the effects sound pretty darn good too.

mude

Silver Supporting Member
I thought the combo Deluxe version was not out yet. Is it available in some places already?

Also, to the people that are dissing it....have you actually heard the thing in person yet? I have not heard one yet, but looking forward to it.

Thanks.

Evan.

tquig

I tried one yesterday --was skeptical about the digital reverb,but it sounded nice.
I don't like a lot of distortion just a little bite--thought the overdrive channel was very usable. For $400 less than a drri and more flexibility I think it is a winner.

In Tune

These New VMs IMHO,are going to be a huge success for The Big F.... Great tones, affordabilty, versatility, transportability, equates to Big S....

Sales, Sales, Sales,,,,,,,I might even pull the trigger on this deluxeiscious VM deluxe. :dude

EdMan57

These New VMs IMHO,are going to be a huge success for The Big F.... Great tones, affordabilty, versatility, transportability, equates to Big S....
:dude
Yeah,I don't understand the hostility,other than the perceived tarnishing of the Band-Master name.It's not like there are so few vintage circuit amps on the market to choose from as it is.These Fender Vintage Modified series offerings are just another option on the already vast amplifier menu.

Ed

59refin

I just posted this mini-review of the Deluxe VM I played today over at HC. The thread dropped like a rock with no replies. I guess if it's not a Splawn or a 5150 it gets no love from Harmony Central.

Here's the post:

Just Played a Fender Deluxe VM....

And I'm very impressed! The Deluxe VM was way better than I thought it would be given the initial info. Luckily it sounds NOTHING like a HRD, hot rod gain has always sounded like blown speakers to me. In fact I'd say the gain was closer to a supersonic than a hot rod. The digital effects were very tweakable and useable, also a surprise.

I also love the fact that the VM is a great grab and go, no honkin pedal board required. Don't get me wrong, you won't sell your favorite tube amp for this but it's great to gig with a combo in one hand and a guitar in the other. One thing though, you won't mistake this for a DRRI, it doesn't seem to be screwed together quite as well and it sure doesn't have the lush cleans the reissue has.

On the whole though, I thought the VM was a great effort. The Bandmaster head is $250 less and I could sure throw that on top of one of the 1x12's laying around. I could actually see the Bandmaster stealing Alchemist head sales. Not maybe in the same league tonally but pretty darn close for $450 or so less.

Trending Topics