Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups for Telecaster... any good?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by guitguy28, Oct 14, 2008.

1. guitguy28

guitguy28 Member

I like the sound of my Tele, but the 60-cycle hum is a bit annoying at times...
    I'm considering getting the Vintage Noiseless Tele pickups..

-How much of the authentic tele sound do they get?

-Are they truly "noiseless"?

Can anyone offer any alternatives for the noise issues?

Thanks.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the dimarzio area T or virtual hot T, or anything by kinman, will be both louder and more "real" sounding than any fender noiseless stuff.

3. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

What he said.:AOK

I'd add Pete Biltoft's name as well - GREAT stuff for Teles.

However, let me just say that in our line of work, I quite often find myself telling my customers that they shouldn't be suprised to end up with a drawer full of pickups (and tubes, but that's another subject) as an exponent of their pursuit of a great guitar sound. But it should be a great sound FOR THEM - it's a very personal deal, and for every pickup that somebody slams, there's somebody else that loves it.

4. shane88

shane88 Member

fender noiseless aren't very flash imo
    Kinman is prob as "real" as you'll get
    if you really want a tele sound you'll have to embrace the noise

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

from what i can tell, pete's single coils are real single coils, so a little outside our parameters here.

what he said! :AOK

6. cjcayea

cjcayea cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce

i just put some in my tele about a week ago. they do sound better than the stock pups, and yeah, they are pretty quiet, but overall id say it was a waste of money.

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

If it must be noiseless Dimazio are the leaders with the VV areas.

8. dave19er

dave19er Member

A friend swapped out the pups in his Mexican Tele for some of noiseless - a definite improvement there, soundwise, although he also spent a lot of time shielding the guitar at the same time, and managed to accidentally ground something out, so now if he doesn't have a hand on the strings, it's buzzing. which is ironic, considering he did the swap to get rid of buzz. But they do sound decent.

I put a set in my early '90s American Standard strat, as the 60-cycle hum in my last house was just horrible. I would actually still get some hum, although it was much reduced. I was disappointed, though, with how sterile the pickups sound. They are an improvement over the stock pups, which I'd always hated, but not much of one. Just blah, particularly when compared to, say Fender Custom Shop pups (the stock ones in my custom shop Tele are amazing), Fralins or Lollars that I've played in other people's strats. Never played Kinmans, although if I were going the noiseless route again, I'd certainly check them out. The thing I discovered about 60-cycle hum, though - you can't generally hear it when playing and I just turn the guitar volume down when I'm not. In my experience, the sacrifices in tone just to get rid of the hum aren't worth it, as the hum can often be mitigated in other ways.

9. Wolf Static

Wolf Static Member

Listen to Walter... I just had my American Deluxe Tele furnished with DiMarzio Area T's and a Callaham Vintage Bridge. Boy! What a sound! Plus ... no 60-cycle hum!

10. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

True fact- Pete Biltoft's stuff is not "noiseless", just good sounding.

For noiseless, I'd def. go with Kinman or the Dimarzio's - the Fender stuff is, to my ears at least, well...:huh