Fender Wide Range humbucker

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by supa_scoopa, May 8, 2008.

1. supa_scoopa

supa_scoopa Member

Are these current production pickups any good?
    Does anyone make a copy, like these custom builder types?

2. diamonddavewv

diamonddavewv Member

My understanding -- albeit limited -- is that the originals used CuNiFe rod magnets (copper, nickel, iron) which is not readily available to boutique winders today.

3. GuitaRasmus

GuitaRasmus Member

The wide range humbuckers produced today, are nothing more than rehoused standard humbuckers.

4. Bob V

Bob V Member

My understanding (and it's probably third hand information from these forums, but it has been consistently been described this way) is that the original WRH's were designed by Seth Lover for Fender, and they used CuNiFe polepiece magnets. The WRH was configured with the magnets in the polepieces themselves, just like Fender single coil pickups, only using a different magnet material. A standard PAF type humbucker, on the other hand, has a bar magnet underneath the pickup, with adjacent polepieces (adjustable screws in one coil, slugs in the other) running up through the bobbins.

It's been said that the reproductions are simply regular PAF type humbuckers in a larger case with the void filled with wax. That doesn't mean they weren't designed to sound like the originals, but they do have several features that are very very different.

A regular humbucker has several advantages - you can use a mounting ring, you can use any number of pickguards with standard humbucker routing (for instance Warmoth will cut you a pickguard out of any of their materials with a humbucker sized hole, but they don't offer the option for the WRH unless you get a Deluxe or Custom tele style pickguard). Now that you have a standard PAF sized hole and screws, you can switch them out at will until you get what you like, since there are countless humbuckers out there.

Couple that with the belief that Fender only came up with the WRH after Keith Richards put a regular humbucker in a mounting ring on top of his Telecaster pickguard, and well there's all the more reason to be GAS-ing for a PAF humbucker in the bridge of a tele. Never played a Tele Custom with original WRH's in it, so I don't know what I'm missing...

You mentioned boutique builders. Lindy Fralin makes great pickups. They offer a split-single coil that they call a P-92 and it comes in a regular PAF sized rectangular cover. The kicker is that the P-92 cover has the holes for the adjustable polepiece screws arranged in the same offset three-and-three pattern reminiscent of the WRH. If they have the materials on hand (apparently it takes a special twelve-hole baseplate) they can make a humbucker for you and put it in a P-92 cover.

5. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

Here's a proto-type I just finished.

It's a modified MIM '72 re-issue pickup with my custom made and custom wound bobbins, alnico v magnets and stock covers. I'm trying it out tonight!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

just signing on to this ....curiosity on the info . I`ve played the original pickup and was pretty enchanted that day .