Fender Wrote a Mobile App for iTunes - It's $15.00 a month

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by TonePilot, Oct 22, 2019.

1. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

And it's pricey. Similar in functionality to the CAPO app, this new service analyses songs and puts the chords in the right place (unlike CAPO which is consistently wrong). Sounds great right?

Wait a minute though. If you want to play along with the actual song, you have to subscribe to Apple Music. Even if the damn song is already owned by you, bought through iTunes and lives on your device.

Great idea, greedy implementation.
    https://www.musicradar.com/news/new-fender-songs-app-features-over-750k-songs-to-learn

pickaguitar likes this.
  2. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Because how much would you pay for the service if it only worked with iTunes purchases?

3. TonePilot

Not sure I know what you mean but I wouldn't pay anything to use this with a song library I'd already bought and paid for. If it worked with my songs, I'd probably pay $5.00/month for it.

Guitarheel62 likes this.
  4. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    Basically a paid version of Ultimate Guitar?

5. TonePilot

No, they actually analyze the songs using some type of machine learning or AI and then a human verifies the results. Ultimate Guitar is quite wrong about stuff depending on who did the transcription. Also, with F-Songs, you get to have the chords show as you play, not like the midi music in Ultimate.

COYS and hawk269 like this.
  6. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

Money grab by Apple and Fender for something you can get for free on YouTube.

7. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

"free"

8. Old Guy

Other than paying for your internet service, yes. You did buy an iPhone or iPod touch to get the Fender/Apple thing, too, right?

9. TonePilot

Not as much anymore. YouTube did the big purge and a lot of artist content is gone.

10. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

On YouTube, you (probably) don't pay them any money, but you're exchanging something for the content. You are the product being sold.

brainman, nowhere, Laurence and 4 others like this.
  11. Old Guy

What are you exchanging exactly? Time? Clicks? That doesn't cost me a dime. What does it cost you? I get something out of it, too. I can learn just about any song ever recorded if someone made a video about it. And I can find that video for free. No? I'm confused.

12. Old Guy

Well that has nothing to do with the consumer. If I want to teach a song on YouTube, I can certainly get the license to do so. Or not, and risk the content being taken down. It's not that complicated.

13. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

YouTube is part of Google's ad tracking eco-system. They use cookies to track your online behavior and then sell access to that data to advertisers.

brainman, nowhere, Laurence and 2 others like this.
  14. Old Guy

So? What does that cost YOU? Funny how you are on the internet and are concerned about this. You don't think TGP does the same thing? And if they don't, your ISP does. Log off right now! Dive into that bunker you built and be safe from the world!

Halsey likes this.
  15. TonePilot

That's just it, you can't anymore. How would you get the licence to Hendrix's Little Wing? You can't. The foundation won't sell it to you. And, I never said it was complicated, you might be thinking of someone else's post.

FPFL likes this.
  16. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I'm not really worried about it, because I know that the idea of "privacy" on the internet is pretty weak when you're not paying cash for a service.

But make no mistake: you're paying for YouTube with an astounding amount of tracking to the advertising world.

brainman, nowhere and David MacNeill like this.
  17. river_jetties

river_jetties Member

interesting idea - thanks for link

TonePilot likes this.
  18. thekaiser

thekaiser Member

Where are you reading that Apple had anything to do with this? Fender just developed it for iOS first. And as far as the Apple Music thing, Apple killed iTunes with the most recent updates and all that’s left is Apple Music.

Halsey likes this.
  19. Bluplirst

Bluplirst Supporting Member

20. TonePilot

You don't think they didn't talk? Of course they did. Apple's motivation is to get more Apple Music subscribers. Fender's is to sell more guitars. This way, they potentially both get additional revenue. I hope that Fender/Apple change the model so that the app works with the tunes you already own. This might be a good deal for someone who doesn't have 10,000 songs in their music library.