Fenderish amp (Bruno????Carr???)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by charley, Oct 14, 2005.

1. charley

charley Supporting Member

I am looking for a fenderish amp, but would like a little more versatility. I am considering a Carr Rambler, a Boogie Mark 1 Reissue, a Bruno(which, I have no idea), or something else. Any suggestions? I would like to get a somewhat lower powered amp (30ish watts, maybe fewer), and am also considering the Boogie cause it really has its own personality. Any suggestions?

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

check out the divided by 13 ftr37 ... sounds like the ticket for you ... if you search on this page for my clips you can check em out there.

thanks, jon

3. tub

tub Member

check out the AC30CC.

beautiful cleans and the top boost channel for sweet overdrive. a great amp with a true classic tone.

[​IMG]

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Hers an interesting Idea. How about a Fender!

Have you ever heard a Deluxe Reverb with a really good Speaker in it and a freakin good distortion pedal in front of it.

Of coarse fully serviced with some NOS tubes in it and Biased properly.

Rock On.

Kerry Marchman would be proud!

5. charley

Thanks for the suggestions so far, and while these are all great amps, none of these seem to be FENDER-ish amps. Nice idea about getting a fender, but as I said in the original post, I want something fender-ish, but that takes it a little farther. If that wasn't clear in my post, sorry about that. While a great Fender is a great amp, I want to go a little less traditional, hence the Bruno/Carr/etc suggestions.

I've played Brunos, Carrs, and Boogies, so I am familiar with the sounds. I am just hoping for other people's perspectives on what they would or would not buy.

BTW, I am only interested in getting a combo amp. I just sold my Two Rock because I wanted something more compact, and with lower output. I know the Boogie doesn't really fit this, but there is something I really love about them that keeps them on the list.

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Well let me restate my post.

Fenderish = Fender Deluxe Reverb.

A little farther = Keeley Modded Ibanez Turbo Tube Screamer.

What am I missing?

OK Ive had all of the above.

Try a Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 1x12

Blackface Cleans, Marshall Crunch, High Gain Mesa High Gain yuck yuck.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

When Fenders cant be Fenderish its all over. ;)

I also agree with the Vox AC30. Dont know about the China Made ones but they will do what you ask.

I know a guy who can get em from England for reasonable rates. But they aint cheap.

8. charley

Does Fender pay you a commission for getting people to buy their amps?

Good call though about the Lonestar. I will definitely check one out before I decide which amp to buy.

9. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

The Lonestar is a great choice, as is the Carr Slant. The Tonekings are pretty cool as well. The 6L6 Bogner Shiva is a great combo, and less fenderish is the Orange Rockers, but a great clean and overdrive that is all its own.

My favorite and strong suggestion though would be to get a Bruno Cowtipper 22, or Underground 30 along with a Fulltone Fuldrive II, and have the greatest fendery tones on the planet. :D

Here is a clip with the cowtipper 22 and a T Rex mudhoney barely on. Its recorded to hot so I am getting a little input clipping, but I think you can hear when that occurs.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=2870240&q=hi

10. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Tone King Meteor II 112 combo.
    Oh yes.
    S>
    j

11. SAVROHR

SAVROHR Member

Check out a Savage Rohr 15 or Glas 30. You can dial in "Fenderish" tones, "Voxish" tones, and "Marshallish" tones, but it also has some awesomely unique "Savageish" tones!!!

12. tub

tub Member

IMO the VOX AC30CCs cleans ARE Fenderish. I own a 65 Deluxe Reverb RI too and to me the AC30s cleans are very similar (not at all identical) to the DRRI but with more headroom and a fuller sound.

I know its cool on these boards to be into boutique amps but just think how much amazing and legendary music was recorded using the AC30! Its chinese made but so what? I have a few hand wired amps and the Vox is right up there in tone.

Heres a pic of my DRRI (yes, i like showing pics of my gear :) )

[​IMG]

13. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

C`mon guys ....how long till the name Fargen comes up? ....I love mine and think it`s just the ticket ....4x6V6 at 30 watts OR 2x6L6 at 40 watts ...deluxe Rev sonics with a bottom that will go to 11 and not give in ...sounds great at any volume and does the work of 3 amps. I believe it a custom order version of the Blackbird .

14. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Tone King Meteor II
    Carr Rambler
    Fargen Blackbird

People bag the Rambler for a flabby low end but it behaves like a classic Fender tweed or blackface amp with a few knob tweaks and sounds huge. It's very light and portable, has a lush reverb and a fat tremolo. The pentode/triode switch works great. Used they are a steal. Great amp that loves single coils, humbuckers, pedals and blues. What more do ya need?

15. rockster12

rockster12 Supporting Member

Before I went with a Carr Rambler, I would go with the Slant 6V. Though the Rambler is a great sounding amp, the Slant was much more versital to me. 2 x the power, great blackface tone, with a really good sounding OD channel as well. Obviously I haven't tried every boutique out there, but I do have a couple nice blackface fenders, and the Slant will do what they do and more.

16. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

In terms of high-end amps, its really nothing more than personal preference that separates the various brands. That's why you should play through as many of these as you can with your guitar.

I like my Carr Rambler as much as any other similar amp out there. It puts out the sounds that I want when playing.

17. Roe

Roe Member

try allen - he has a nice line of fenderish amps. very affordabel as well.

18. rockster12

rockster12 Supporting Member

Exactly. Well Put

19. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Huh?? Why is it different in high end amps? :confused: IMO, In regular production amps, its nothing more than personal preference that separates the various brands either. My preference is for many productution amps, as I feel they sound better than most high end amps.

20. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Tone King is a consideration, too. Very BF Fender clean channel, tweed Fender on steroids gain channel. The Carr Slant 6V is a neato amp, too.......Fendery clean channel, Marshally/Tweedy gain channel.