Fenders Answer to PRS

shoepedals

I think why people are irked by this guitar is it reads as a superfluous vanity project for Mayer. Strats already exist. He already has them and plays them. But, for whatever reason, he and Fender are in a beef and this just feels like him refusing to play a guitar that he's not specifically endorsed/paid to play or whatever business relationship they have. I think the dislike has nothing to do with PRS making a strat or really PRS itself at all.

Last edited:

dwoverdrive

Silver Supporting Member
Seems like a great guy...who no longer works for FMIC. No one is hand carving these out of blocks of wood, to me it just smells like hypocrisy. Obviously there is nothing underhanded about it as he has sold a lot of guitars and has earned a reputation for impeccable quality. FMIC doesn't seem to object :dunno
Suhr is playing by the rules just like anyone else I suppose. At the end of the day I still agree that its just a good copy of someone else's design. John Suhr has become pretty untouchable around TGP. The Stratocaster was being made at a very high level long before he ever had a job at Fender. People will crawl over broken glass to defend the guy which I get. He makes great stuff but a lot of it is still a direct copy of another company he worked for once. He just figured out how to put it out there in a way people wanted I guess.
The TGP crowd is great at saying everyone else is doing a copy but not him haha. Dude does good work though.

Suhr is playing by the rules just like anyone else I suppose. At the end of the day I still agree that its just a good copy of someone else's design. John Suhr has become pretty untouchable around TGP. The Stratocaster was being made at a very high level long before he ever had a job at Fender. People will crawl over broken glass to defend the guy which I get. He makes great stuff but a lot of it is still a direct copy of another company he worked for once. He just figured out how to put it out there in a way people wanted I guess.
The TGP crowd is great at saying everyone else is doing a copy but not him haha. Dude does good work though.
Remember how much everyone hated the LP copy leaked pic when they thought it wasn't his and then the whole tone of the thread changed when it was revealed to actually be his new model?

I don't remember many posts slamming him for his LP copy.

dwoverdrive

Silver Supporting Member
Remember how much everyone hated the LP copy leaked pic when they thought it wasn't his and then the whole tone of the thread changed when it was revealed to actually be his new model?

I don't remember many posts slamming him for his LP copy.
Perfect example. I always say John Suhr on TGP is a equivalent of young women and pop culture consumers in general with Adele. This woman ****ed up an intro on a live performance at the Grammy's, sort of asked to restart and got a standing ovation and public adoration for it essentially. Any other artist gets destroyed for that. Hell Mariah Carey I think butchered the national anthem around that same time and actually did get destroyed for it.
Suhr could do a direct copy of a Squire Bullet and once this forum saw his name on the headstock it would be apologist central :rotflmao

Husky

Perfect example. I always say John Suhr on TGP is a equivalent of young women and pop culture consumers in general with Adele. This woman ****ed up an intro on a live performance at the Grammy's, sort of asked to restart and got a standing ovation and public adoration for it essentially. Any other artist gets destroyed for that. Hell Mariah Carey I think butchered the national anthem around that same time and actually did get destroyed for it.
Suhr could do a direct copy of a Squire Bullet and once this forum saw his name on the headstock it would be apologist central :rotflmao
That's cause Adele is super talented and humble ;-)

JELIFISH19

I think why people are irked by this guitar is it reads as a superfluous vanity project for Mayer. Strats already exist. He already has them and plays them. But, for whatever reason, he and Fender are in a beef and this just feels like him refusing to play a guitar that he's not specifically endorsed/paid to play or whatever business relationship they have. I think the dislike has nothing to do with PRS making a strat or really PRS itself at all.
Why aren't people irked by the Singlecut? That started the exact same way. Mark Tremonti played Les Pauls before PRS and he asked them to make him a LP. They made one for him and eventually made it into a standard model in their core line. He could've continued playing LPs. They already existed and he had them and played them. But he wanted PRS to make him one. PRS wants to make their top artists happy. If they say no to those guys, they'll just go to whoever will make what they want. They have options.

And this isn't PRS's first attempt at a Strat. They also had the DC3.

lifeson1

Silver Supporting Member
Well, Fender ORIGINATED the strat. Gibson the LP, and PRS kind of have their own boutique/hybrid thing going on. I love Strats, I don't really have Fender except for my MIM road warrior, I rely on brands that I think have taken it a bit further and more in tune what I think a Strat should be.

I agree with prior posters who are aghast with PRS undermining their own vision of what they think a JM guitar should be, based on Paul's original creations. It's pretty laughable. I mean, even Joe Knaggs offered his OWN taste on the Strat style that is definitively Knaggs.

I'm not saying Paul's single cut design is miles away from an LP, but it IS his own flavor. To just have that body sporting birds and a different stock is laughable.

And yes, fanboys will buy them, either for JM's or PRS name on them. It's just a shame there's not really his footprint on the design.

Don't personally care. I like the look of it, but I love the Strat body look and the PRS headstock. I won't be buying one, as I like a huge neck and would need to go with a Private Stock version to get it. But, my next guitar is going to be a Tom Anderson Icon....

shoepedals

Why aren't people irked by the Singlecut? That started the exact same way. Mark Tremonti played Les Pauls before PRS and he asked them to make him a LP. They made one for him and eventually made it into a standard model in their core line. He could've continued playing LPs. They already existed and he had them and played them. But he wanted PRS to make him one. PRS wants to make their top artists happy. If they say no to those guys, they'll just go to whoever will make what they want. They have options.

And this isn't PRS's first attempt at a Strat. They also had the DC3.
I really think it's about the way this is being presented more than anything. That and the fact that people tend to have pretty strong feelings about John Mayer.

Heinz57Pep

28660955_962088400582892_8848100534935928220_n.jpg

Toosday

I assume most of us are customers. The good news is we all have more options which is nothing but a positive. Supply and demand will sort it all out in the end.

fenderjapan

World Heavyweight Champion
Gold Supporting Member
I think people are forgetting this is not the first time PRS has done a strat style guitar. Not a pro line. But strat style nonetheless.
p-20990-PRS-SE-EG-SCM.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom