• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Fender's Vintage Modified '68 Custom Princeton Reverb

rickyp

This amp stinks. Did a side by side comparison with the new '68 Custom Princeton Reverb and a regular PRRI yesterday, and it was very bass heavy. I turned the treble all the way up, and the bass all the way down, and it still sounded like the amp was farting with a blanket thrown over it. After 5 minutes, I couldn't get a good sound out of it, so I gave up. I tried setting the knobs identical to the regular PRRI right next to it, and it didn't sound even remotely similar. I'm completely turned off.

I heard the Deluxe Reverb with the silver face treatment will be closer to the '65 DRRI, but the reverb and vibrato will also function on the Normal channel, which could be cool.

rickyp

I wonder if the tubes/a tube was loose or otherwise faulty...like V1 in the preamp?
Not sure...the guy at the local shop that I went to (who was pretty well versed and not a guitar Center clown) seemed like it was normal. But maybe it was a bad tube and he was too embarrassed to admit it. I've never heard a bad tube sound like that though.

Tbig

Thanks for the input. Sounds like the amp had some sort of issue going on to me.

HawkeyeKane

Long shot.....but could the difference in speakers possibly be a contributor? '65 uses a Jensen C10R and the '68 has a Celestion Ten 30.

Tbig

Long shot.....but could the difference in speakers possibly be a contributor? '65 uses a Jensen C10R and the '68 has a Celestion Ten 30.
Hey I don't think that's a long shot at all. Speakers do make quite a bit of difference when it comes to tone.

TheBuffalo

Silver Supporting Member
i think it has more to do with the bass man pre amp in it. As someone on tdpri said

TheBuffalo

Silver Supporting Member
I'm getting that exact one in that video! Haha I asked them if I could get the demo model so I could get it faster I think ittl ship tomorrow, they're pretty cool dudes over there at tundra

But I think the bassman pre is in the princeton too the only reason they specifically say that it's in the deluxe is because the dlx has two channels, vintage and custom. The princeton just has custom I could be wrong though

dshobe

Rocky Mountain Way
Gold Supporting Member
Wow, sounds like a great, great amp. Fill us in when you get yours!

TheBuffalo

Silver Supporting Member
It's hard to tell for sure sound quality isn't great in that vid but from what I can tell it sounds like what I'm looking for, I plan on either doing a written or a video review if I can get my new audio software working on my computer and if I can ill be sure to mic it up

Billm

This amp stinks. Did a side by side comparison with the new '68 Custom Princeton Reverb and a regular PRRI yesterday, and it was very bass heavy. I turned the treble all the way up, and the bass all the way down, and it still sounded like the amp was farting with a blanket thrown over it. After 5 minutes, I couldn't get a good sound out of it, so I gave up. I tried setting the knobs identical to the regular PRRI right next to it, and it didn't sound even remotely similar. I'm completely turned off.

I heard the Deluxe Reverb with the silver face treatment will be closer to the '65 DRRI, but the reverb and vibrato will also function on the Normal channel, which could be cool.
I'll bet one of the output tubes was dead or halfway out of its socket. Push-pull amps running on one tube sound pretty ugly.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
What do you mean push pull amp?
Most amps larger than 5w have two output tubes. One amplifies the negative swing of the sound, the other the positive swing, then the OT puts the two together to get a nice sine wave. So, they're called push-pull because one tube is pushing (going positive) while the other is pulling (going negative). You get more than twice the power doing this (a single EL34 puts out up to 10w, a pair can put out 50w).

TheBuffalo

Silver Supporting Member
Hmm now I know, I'd really like to learn more about amps. I think I should build one one day. Iv built guitars I guess that's the next step lol

Greaser

Good ol' Dutch Oven trick, classic.

Groberts

Gold Supporting Member
I played one of the new '68 Vintage mod Princeton Reverbs this week. I would not call it 'bassy'. I didn't compare to a regular PRRI, but the new '68 Modded version sounded reasonably balanced. It did have more of a faster breakup at 4-5 on the volume dial that was a bit fatter and had more hair on it. (in a nice way) ...>If that's what you want. Personally for me, I don't. But the amp sounded very good. Yet it didn't blow me away. Decent value for the money ...for the right player. The Verb and Trem are very good on that amp.

Trending Topics