Fenders with "British" speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scelerat, Dec 17, 2009.

1. scelerat

scelerat Silver Supporting Member

Can anyone recommend fitting traditional Fender amps with Celestion Blues or other "british"-voiced speakers?

I have a DRRI with 6L6es (very close in sound and volume to a 40w Bandmaster) with the original Eminence. It's been broken in and it's got a really cool grinding Fender clean, but I'm wondering what it would sound like with a bit more low-midrange and high-end sparkle. Which I think I could get with a Blue or blue-like speaker. Specifically I'm thinking of the Weber Blue Dog, but I'm also intrigued by weber's description of their 12F150B, too.

Video/audio clips appreciated.

2. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Also if I were you I'd check into the Scumback line of spkrs. I just put an SA10H75 30watt into my PRRI and it sounds stellar. Look into the Eminence CRex for the DRRI, I have one in there and it retains the Fender sparkle when clean, but when you slap an OD in front of the amp, it breaks up very smoothly, and looses that frizzle that the stock Fender speakers can give you.

3. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Here's my old Princeton with Brownface guts, cranked through a Celestion Blue. Sagalicious!

4. ROKY

ROKY Member

I definitely love my '62 Bassman thru Celestions; especially thru a pair of AlNiCo Golds !

5. scelerat

scelerat Silver Supporting Member

Wow. Thick. What guitar were you playing for that clip?

6. ianb

ianb Member

I play my '61 Bandmaster through a 2x12 cab with a Celestion Alnico Gold and a G12H Heritage. I have tried lots of others speakers, but keep coming back to these two.

In my hotrodded 6L6 Deluxe, I have for now settled on an Eminence C-Rex, but the Celestion G12-65 also sounds great.

So yes, I do like my Fenders through (some) Celestions. Glad I no longer have any V30's though...

7. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

a late 60's Guild Starfire II, middle position with the bridge volume rolled a bit off. those Guild Mini HB-1 humbuckers rock!

8. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I have a G12P-80 Celestion that came stock with my Fender VM Deluxe 40 watter and is a good sounded speaker

9. fishlog

fishlog Member

I had a cab for my 65' Bassman with one Weber Blue Dog and one Weber Silver Bell in it. Sounded great I totally loved it. Really seemed to strengthen the over all tone but also rounded off the top end, spank, sparkle or what ever word you use to describe that Fender tone. Went back to Weber 12F150's (I won't know if that was the right desicion until after Christmas). You certainly would not be making a mistake using any of those British voiced speakers. The thing you really have to realize is that your still going to sound like your playing a Fedner Amp and second only Us gear snobs can really notice or care about the difference!

10. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Greenbacks and G12Hs work really well with Brownface Fenders...especially Deluxes. V30s sound good with Blonde Bassman amps...just ask Brian Setzer.

Mike

11. 229someday

229someday Member

Love the Weber 12F150B in my '68 Princeton Reverb. Changed the baffle to fit in in and it really fills out the sound with strong low-mids and some nice chime in the top-end.

Fishlog's Weber combo above is in my Vox cab (Alnico Blue Dog and Silver Bell), and it sounds great when I run my Princeton through that too.

12. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Hey, turn that thing down!! :bitch

13. CharlieK

CharlieK Member

I've got a ceramic Weber Silver Bell in my DRRI. I gets into British territory when driven. Much better than the original speaker in that amp.

Edited to add: I specifically asked Ted Weber how to get my DRRI into Marshall territory when driven but preserve the Fender sound if clean. He recommended the above speaker.

14. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I slapped a set of reinhardt 1265's into my twin and really loved the sound of them.

[​IMG]

15. Roark

Roark Member

Blonde Bassman into a rewired Marshall 4-12 with 1265s, it sounds good to me.

Tried 10f150's and couldn't wait for the break in period, used the 1265's ever since.

16. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I have a pair of Weber 1230-55's in my Pro Reverb and have used a G12H30 in my NR Deluxe. I find the British voiced speakers with the smaller vintage dust cap sound better than ones with the larger type.