Fenders you really regret selling.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dreamspace, Feb 1, 2012.

1. dreamspace

dreamspace Member

Probably the guitar in general that I regret selling. Best Strat I've EVER owned (and even tried).

And it's a...Fender Japan 62 Partscaster :omg

It was super light, good fat C neck and extremely resonant...you could hit the light e string and feel the whole body vibrate, and so freaking loud too.
    Pickups sounded fatter than any other set I've owned.

Didn't need the money, just went through a gear "flip-for-profit" phase...have no idea why I sold it. Plan was to call up the buyer and buy it back, at whatever cost (100% serious)...but I lost all my phone records, so it's probably gone forever now.

[​IMG]

How'bout you?

2. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

similar situation. I had a MIM black strat with a FAAAAT maple neck and dimarzio area 58's in the neck and middle and area 61 in the bridge. I loved it. And I sold it for 400 bucks

3. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I wish I knew about Dimarzio Area T pickups before I returned this 52RI to the store. It had a bad grounding issue no one could suss out but it was very resonant...unplugged. Plugged in, it was HUMMMMMM

[​IMG]

On the other hand, if I kept this guy, I probably wouldn't have started on my Tele GAS search that ultimately ended with my Bowery Tele, which was a GAS-stopper. Awesome Tele type.

4. Jules

Jules Member

With your sister somewhere you wouldn't like
    My first ever electric guitar - a blonde Japanese Telecaster with a maple neck I bought new in 1991. Sold it a year and a half later to pay for a heavy rock style Ibanez guitar with a floyd rose trem that totally didn't suit me. Ended up going pretty much acoustic for the next 15 years. Doh.

5. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

I had an '80's H/S/S Strat with a Kahler trem. I had stripped it down to the bare wood and covered it with stickers, it sounded like a million bucks.

6. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I had a Fender Performer for a while. I think it is the coolest shape they ever made and it was actually a good quality guitar. I sold it to help pay for a more expensive guitar.

7. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

Best bass I ever owned was the Sting signature model....wish I'd never sold it.

8. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

CS '51 Relic Nocaster. I was broke. If I could have just one guitar that would be it.

9. Custom50

Custom50 Member

it wasn't a fender. it was a squier! one of the JV strats. it had it's pickups changed and the best neck of any strat i have ever owned.

10. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

1982 Fullerton AVRI Strat in Vintage White that had yellowed and was in near mint condition... :( Biggest mistake I have made regarding gear.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  11. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

A real '63 strat I had in the old days. It was a dog (they're not all magic) and since I paid $800 for it and sold it for $1200 a few months later, I thought I was doing pretty good. Of course, that was like 1982 or so...I'm not gonna lie; I'd just want it back to sell it again...this time for $12,000+ :D

12. jpage

jpage Member

Had a 1982 '62 RI strat that I picked up for nothing because it was beat up (this was pre-relic days LOL), loved it, sounded like the best strats do, and kept it for years. Eventually sold it to help fund a Rivera 1x15" Duarte model. Ended up hating the Rivera a month later, still haven't found a strat that sounds as good. Boo.

13. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

I had some nice fenders for my '59 F100 Flareside. I sold 'em and went flatbed. now I want 'em back. Still gots the bed & tailgate.

14. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

A recently departed friend of mine had one those. It was one of the best strats I've ever played and I've played quite a few over the years. That guitar just had it all.

The funeral was about 6 months ago and I just haven't had the heart to email his sister and ask about it and since she knows what his stuff was worth (he left a list with 2010 values), she's not gonna get ripped off if/when she sells it. I'd like to honor him by buying and keeping it, but I just don't want to bring up a bad memory... Some of those were great guitars...

15. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

None. Really. There are Gibsons I miss, but no Fenders.

16. jpage

jpage Member

Tough position but I'm sure she would rather have a friend own his guitar than a stranger. I'd ask her about it--enough time has passed IMO.

17. JDJ

JDJ Member

Sold my Wildwood 10 Tele from the original 2006 run. I really regretted that. Luckily I was able to buy it back.

I used to have a real 1959 Gibson ES-345 with PAFs. Wish I kept it but that's more for financial reasons than tonal reasons.

18. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

Had one of these come into the shop with the same problem. the bridge plate is NOT the place to ground the string path. I went straight to the bridge. Problem solved. Fixing it got me a customer for life as nobody at any of the geetar stores had a clue.
    If you find another one you know the fix.

19. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I had a 86 Japanese made bound candy red Tele custom that was one of the best Teles I have ever played and traded it for a 60's Vox bass.. I miss that one a lot.

Jeff

20. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I almost traded my very first GOOD electric I ever bought. It's my '79 Fender Antigua strat. Back in '84 a guy I knew wanted me to trade my Antigua for his '82 G & L 3 pickup strat and I was so close to doing it. I'm not sure of the model,but I would have REALLY regretted that trade. So I guess other than that, it's as close as I get to selling or trading any Fender I own.Here's a pic of the one that didn't get away.:)

[​IMG]