Fernandes Ravelle Elite???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Goldstrat, May 8, 2008.

1. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

Anybody have any experience with these guitars? How do you like them? they seem kinda fun with the sustain thing.

2. shood

shood Member

bump.

quite possibly my next guitar, would love to hear some pros, cons, general experiences

3. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

I played a Burny LP copy with a Fernandes sustainer when I was window shopping in Seoul last year.

I didn't like what it did to the tone. It got pretty hollow with the sustainer on.

4. wilder

wilder Member

I know nothing about the sustainer, but the overall build quality of the Ravelle's I've seen has been very good for the price.

5. JStizz

JStizz Member

ive got a Ravelle Deluxe goldtop. i love it! i dont have the sustainer but i will say that the guitar is really nice to play.

6. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I've got a Fernandez Revolver with the sustainer... it's the cat's meow. You can do some seriously cool stuff with it.

7. firebird1295

firebird1295 Member

I bought a Fernandes Ravelle Elite Honeyburst w/Sustainer a few years ago. I already had a Fender Amer Std Strat, Gibson ES-335, and have bought a Gibson '61 Reissue since then.

I have to say, even among the other more expensive guitars, I still play the Ravelle a lot. I do find the Sustainer pickup lacking in terms of a true "neck" pickup fidelity, when you're not using the Sustainer. I'm spoiled because I'm so hooked on the sound of the Gibson "Classic 57" humbuckers in the SG and 335.

But even so, there's nothing like that Sustainer system! I played a version of the Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows" in a cover band, and used the Sustainer to mimic the strings, backwards guitar, and even the "seagulls" (using pinch harmonics)!!

The Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge is a good pickup for rock stuff. With the pickup selector set to the middle position you can get some nice R&B clean rhythm style sounds. I found myself wishing I had the bread to buy another Ravelle with the regular pickup in the neck position (another Duncan).
    I came close when I started seeing those Lemon Drop models appearing for a while, but I think they were a limited run.

I found the finish and workmanship to be excellent and loved the big woody neck. Fret were well polished, ends cut well and bound. Overall, an amazing guitar. Beautiful top, and no dimples in the gloss finish.

Biggest problem I had was finding the damn thing. Only one dealer in the L.A. area had any stock then, and although I was finally able to get my hands on one, and play it, I didn't care for the finish on that one. So, I talked to another dealer who said they'd get one in for me to play; they never did! Finally out of frustration I ordered one online, something I'm still surprised I did. I had a conversation with the dealer first and told him I didn't want a "plain jane" maple top on the guitar and he said I could return it for a small charge if I was unhappy with it.
    When the guitar arrived, I was happy but I don't know if I'd recommend buying one this way...too iffy on whether you get a nice one or not. I was just desperate and really jonesing for the thing after having finally played one and liking it.

I say, bottom line; they'd be nice (Deluxe) instead of paying for a Les Paul; and if you really want an Elite with the Sustainer, just have another axe you like too. That's the honest truth, I like the guitar, but I'm also selective enough to be truthful about the shortcomings of the pickup system; what you get with the Sustainer, you give up in the full rich tone of a true neck humbucker, because the Sustainer pickup turned off, and selected by itself is less than awesome to say the least. Not much dynamics, or "soul". The axe itself is a great player, on a par with the much more expensive 335 and SG; and I'm a real Gibson fan (obviously!). So if you can find a nice Elite, OR Deluxe in good shape for a good price you like, buy it; I don't think you'll be sorry.