FET Dream - a new distortion pedal by Cause and Effect Pedals

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by odourboy, Mar 8, 2009.

1. odourboy

odourboy Member

Hi,

I've been posting as a casual player and hobbyist builder for quite a while here and have had numerous excellent discussions and transactions on TGP, at the AmpGarage and a handful of other gear-oriented forums of the years. So I take great pleasure in making this post as a manufacturer. We're close to being ready to ship our new distortion pedal so I wanted to introduce our company and product to The Gear Page.

Mark (who goes by mdroberts1243 on the several gear forums) and I have partnered to form Cause & Effect Pedals (http://cepedals.com). We both have backgrounds in engineering and have years of experience as hobbyist amp and effects building - most recently building D-clones with the guidance and cooperation of the great guys on the AmpGarage. We became strongly opinionated in what it would take to build a great distortion pedal and set about designing what has now become the FET Dream.

The FET Dream was recently announced here: http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp...ion-Pedal.html One of our field testers ( :bow Stelligan on TPG and AmpGarage) has done several nice demonstration clips with the pedal. He's posted a couple of them in this thread:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=514765

For anyone interested, there are some additional clips done by Stelligan and others on clips page of our web site: http://cepedals.com/clips.html

We've put a pricing incentive on the pedal for the near term to encourage early adopters and build a bit of a backlog for our first production run. If all goes well, we should be in a position to begin shipping in about two weeks.

Thanks to everyone here and TGP for providing a forum for bringing our debut product to your attention!

Cheers! Brian

2. odourboy

odourboy Member

PSA:

I'm pleased to report that we've secured a spot for the FET Dream on the PBFH (PedalBoard From Hell) at the New York AAMP show on May 9. :banana

Please check it out if you get a chance!

Brian

3. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

Hi Brian...is shipping extra? Looks very interesting...good luck with the rollout! :RoCkIn

4. odourboy

odourboy Member

I'm afraid we'll have to charge extra for shipping, but we'll keep it reasonable - around $10 - not trying to make a profit on it. I'm in Toronto so it's a bit more to send stuff across the border than within continental USA.

Thanks for the well wishes on our rollout! :BEER

5. bigeasy

bigeasy Member

Great name for a pedal, I'l give you that.
    Good luck to you...

6. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I'm on the list and can't wait to try one with my lap steel. Soon I hope....

7. odourboy

odourboy Member

Here's another announcement:

We've starting shipping the FET Dream. :)

If you've put your name on the 'early adopter' list, you should be contacted regarding your order within a week (if you haven't already). Thank you for your support!

Cheers! Brian

8. mdroberts1243

mdroberts1243 Member

Hi,
    Just a quick note to say that today, March 31st, is the last day to get on 'the list' with early adopter pricing for the FET Dream!
    We've been really happy with the response so far and genuinely appreciate the leap of faith shown by the early customers for a completely new/unknown pedal offering.

Thanks,

9. 79stratman

79stratman Member

And it's on it's way!!!

Can't wait!

10. odourboy

odourboy Member

Here's an update on our shipping status: We've caught up on the waitlist of Pre-ordered pedals for USA and Canada customers and now have a small inventory available for immediate sale. We've updated the purchase page of our web site to include 'Buy Now' buttons for continental USA and Canada destinations so you don't have to mess around with a list.

Thank you all who have already purchased a FET Dream!

Brian

11. mdroberts1243

mdroberts1243 Member

Another bump... we had such great comments and feedback from the early adopters :bow that we've tried to create a more 'salesy' page that incorporates customer testemonials inline... you can check it out here: http://cepedals.com/products2.html

12. muddy

muddy Member

just listened to the clips; the pedal sounds great! if it sounds that good at a med to less amount o'gain, it probably sounds good all around. kool...

ml

13. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

VERY cool pedal, I can see myself playing one of those with a big smile on my face;)

14. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

This pedal has a tone and feel I really love. I'm no pedal guy, but I LOVE this one.
    It's dead quiet too.

15. odourboy

odourboy Member

That's great Stevo! Really glad that you're happy with it!!:BEER

Thanks Muddy and fyrwyr for the compliments!

16. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

Sure sounds sweet. Nice Job, it's on my want list as of today.

17. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Member

Loving mine - thanks!

18. xntrick

xntrick Member

i'm curious, did you do all of your testing with tube amp or SS amps?..i only ask as i bought a dirty bomb based on the very nice youtube vid, it turns out the pedal doesn't sound as good with a SS amp...

19. odourboy

odourboy Member

I'm sure not going to make the claim that it was tested with every amp ever made... and it's a fact that all the demos on our site were recorded through good sounding tube amps (a buyer's time on our site is precious so it's in our best interest to position our product in the best possible light :)). I have no idea what kind of SS amp you have and make no claim that it will take the FET Dream (or any other dirt pedal) well.

That said, I have a couple of great sounding SS amps in my stable that the FET Dream was trialed through - a Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight and a Roland Jazz Chorus 90. IMHO, the pedal performed well with both of these amps. One of our field trial testers used it extensively through a Vox AC30DT modeler and reported very positive results. Further, one of our first customers actually stuck it front of a Line6 UX2 TonePort USB interface and liked it enough to post a short demo on TGP. You may find the pedal will add a bit of 2nd harmonic 'tube' warmth to a SS tone. One word of caution though - if you use the pedal to overdrive the front-end of a SS amp that's not made for it, there's a good chance it's going to sound like ass! :eek:

Hope that helps.

20. mdroberts1243

mdroberts1243 Member

We have tried to keep an inventory of FET Dream pedals on hand, but we have to announce a short-term waitlist while we prepare another batch of pedals... about two weeks out.

If you want to get in early on the new batch please use our 'Contact Us' form to get on the list: http://cepedals.com/contact.html

If you can't wait even two weeks... I note there are a couple of 'lightly used' FET Dream pedals available on the buy and sell forum... good deals!

Thanks!