FET Dream by CE Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 79stratman, Mar 30, 2009.

1. 79stratman

79stratman Member

Just sitting here, waiting for when they become available...:knitting

2. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

3. kp8

kp8 Member

Their advert copy has my BS meter twitching. That don't mean it aint gonna be a great pedal. But still there's a lot of vaguely used scientific terminology and hazy adjectives that makes me scratch my imaginary beard and raise a brow. I guess they are counting on the reader not knowing what a harmonic is and how that might differ from a formant region. How does it 'open' my sound? While preserving character, at the same time adding "second harmonics" (which somehow still opens my sounds, which i think is somewhat contradictory)? How can it be rich with second harmonics? The second harmonic of what? How does it know what i am playing? How can it determine my fundamental and quickly adjust to especially accentuate the second harmonic of whatever note i am playing? Why is this desirable? </facetious mode off>

Maybe it's the semiotics of the pedal. Anything that purple with the world "dream" in it already sounds like it belongs in a room full of crystals and new age records.

4. kp8

kp8 Member

dood, just google that sucka:

a google on: FET Dream CE Pedals turns up the link for the pedal as the very first return in the search... though it does ask you if you meant Wet Dream (hehe).

5. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Google? What's that?

Hold on.....let me google google.:phones

Oh, okay. This pedal turned up in the "smaller Klon" thread the other day.

6. bilbal

bilbal Member

I think they sound killer and will be worth the dough. Hell I have bought a lot of other pedals that don't sound anywhere near as nice for a lot more!!!

http://www.cepedals.com/index.html

b

7. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

I think it looks a lot like another Zendrive clone to me. 4 knob-layout, jfet and all that...

8. mdroberts1243

mdroberts1243 Member

@stratman: the FET Dream is officially available, Brian announced that in the manufacturer's forum thread last week. We are working through a bit of a backlog of 'early adopters' but hope to build some inventory in a week or so.

The first customers should be receiving theirs any day now... I hope some of them will wade in with 'first impressions'.

:huh (Couldn't find a beard scratching one, but I'm sorry for the confusion)... To try and clarify... I think most of the openness and presence comes from the treble equalization, which we've tailored for each stage of the pedal circuit and then we've tried to do something a bit different and special in the 'Lean' control too. The 2nd harmonics are actually pretty dumb (or smart)... I can guarantee it will produce the 2nd harmonic of whatever fundamental note you play :) The trick there is to control how much 2nd harmonics you produce pre-distortion and in the distortion stage itself... again with equalization in each stage and a special 'girth' control in the pre-distortion specifically. We wanted to avoid muddying up the tone as well as trying to stay away from unmusical odd harmonics in the lower gain settings... hope this helps!

:agreeThere's a lot of semiotics goin' on, although I didn't think too much about the loaded meaning of purple (or 'mediterranean blue' if you see one in person)... if you scratch the surface there might even be some of the Canadian cultural context semiotics exposed (We risk our dry sense of humour being misunderstood and I'd be obliged to apologize if you stepped on my toes ;) )!

Google was the first to 'get' the joke apparently!

Thanks for the interest everybody,

9. 79stratman

79stratman Member

Sure, I may have been succeptible to advertising claims from time-to-time, In this case, I never had even HEARD of CE Pedals -or- the FET Dream, until a friend had the opportunity to field test one of the very earliest ones. He's been through a slew of pedals, but was simply floored by his experiences with the FET Dream. That's all I needed to get the juices flowing! :drool

The good news is that the first batch has been shipped!

The BAD news is that I'm still waiting....just sitting here, ever so patiently. Waiting. Is it here yet? Waiting some more. How 'bout NOW!

OH WAIT...THE MAILMAN!!!!

:thud

Never mind....still waiting.

Seriously though, I waited for two years for some other pedals :)YinYang).

I think I can handle a couple of weeks....
    ....or, NOT!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE :bow get here soon!!!

10. 79stratman

79stratman Member

I am interested to see how the FET Dream stacks-up against (or with) my TIMMY.

Honestly, I am hoping it is NOT anything like the Zendrive. I just sent my friend my Zendrive. He was sorry he ever sold his, so I know it's going to a good home. I couldn't connect with it, myself.

Not sure that I can explain why, but I have this gut-instinct the FET Dream is more of what I was looking for.

11. stelligan

stelligan Supporting Member

I've been lucky enough to beta test this pedal. I also own a ZenDrive and like it a ton. If I were to compare or contrast, I would say the FET Dream offers a bit more tone shaping while still letting the guitar shine through. I also think it is capable of a little more "aggressive" high end character with less overall compression of the sound. The ZenDrive homes in on that d-tone and does a great job of it - the FET dream can get me there with the ability to go elsewhere as well. Might work better for some folks. It's never been my thing to run a dirt box into a clean amp so, medium gain pedals work for me. I love the OD tone on my d-style tube amplifiers and tend to use these pedals to goose them over the top. If it makes sense, I've got a ZenDrive in my guitar jam gig bag to get near my tone from a mystery amp. I now have the FET Dream on my main board as a "MORE" button. I'll post a clip of this pedal doing just that to my HRM later today. Hope this is helpful (maybe painful for those waiting.....)

12. drod2045

drod2045 Member

just paid for one today. lookin forward to it! :)

13. stelligan

Here is a sloppy demo of how I've been using the pedal. Girth noon, Drive 1:00, Lean 12:30, Level 10:00(*you can really push the front of an amp with this):

http://www.jonesin.org/Dave/FETdrm.mp3

Rosewood board, alder Telecaster with SD vintage stack at neck and Fender vintage noiseless at bridge. I built the amp. Bassman power HRM d-clone appox. 50 watts. Close mic'd with a little echo added after.

So you know what you are listening to - here's the chronolgy of clip:

0:00 - 0:17 - Clean amp
    0:17 - 0:38 - FET dream added
    0:38 - 0:46 - Clean amp
    0:46 - 1:00 - FET dream added
    1:00 - 1:20 - amp's OD tone
    1:20 - 2:18 - amp OD with FET dream on top * this is how I usually use the pedal
    2:18 - 2:24 - amp OD
    2:24 - 2:28 - clean amp
    2:28 on added FET dream on top

**like I said, I'm really not a high gain guy.......

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  14. drod2045

drod2045 Member

sounds pretty good! i think your amp sounds better though!

that said - im still excited to recieve mine

15. stelligan

To be fair - it's a bitchin' sounding amp, thanks. A pedal just can't do that. That said, I way dig the pedal. Confident that you'll find some happening tones with it. :BEER

16. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Member

Last day to get on the list for $150. I signed up. Hope I like it!

17. VA_siCkBoy

VA_siCkBoy Silver Supporting Member

I too signed up for the $150 list a few days ago. Can't wait.

18. 79stratman

79stratman Member

I'm with drod2045:

I love your amp OD tones
    -AND-
    I also paid for my pedal too!

Thanks for the clips stelligan!!!

19. mauvehead

mauvehead Member

Hello Everybody.....

I'm new here but thought I'd chime in on my first impressions of the FET Dream. Mine arrived yesterday and I have Serial # 03. I've been on a quest to find a low-medium gain overdrive pedal to put me in the ballpark of Joe Bonamassa's new stuff or even better yet some of Billy Gibbons latest stuff from a couple years back (Mescalero LP). I have several fine instruments that I have slightly modded to my liking and so far the FET Dream sounds equally at home home with all of them. My "home rig" for horsing around is a older Mesa Nomad 55 short head sitting on top of a Mesa vertical 2x12 cab with V30's. Certainly not boutique, but not half bad either. If I need a bigger set-up then I use a Line6 Vetta2.5 HD feeding two GenzBenz G-Flex 2x12 cabs (usually spread out in stereo). (With the Nomad I usually stick with the Green or Orange channels and my favorite tone with the Vetta comes from modeling a pair of Fender Deluxe Reverbs set to medium gain plus echoes and verb). My fav guitar right now is an '05 Gibson LP Classic loaded with BB Pros. Some LP's have good tone, some have crap tone. I got lucky and found one with "The Tone" and the more I play it the more I love it. Also on deck is an '02 Gibson Melody Maker (stock P-90 with LP Jr
    pickguard added), a heavily tricked out Fender H1 Tele, an American Deluxe V-Neck Strat (no mods as it is perfect in every way), and one of the newer VG Strats (with a few mods and a few more on the way). I have several other guitars in the collection but those 5 are the ones I lean on the most. Been playing for 24 years and have done lots of recording, producing, various band gigs, the usual. So there's my street cred if you will (for what it is worth).

That all being said, I am really taken with the tone of the FET Dream. I honestly don't remember where I came across
    CE's web site but I listened to their audio clips and decided to take the plunge and pre-ordered one. My first hour or so of tinkering with the FET Dream with my LP and Nomad was really jaw-dropping. For me at least. Bad thing was I had chewed off the callous on my fret hand middle fingertip the day before (a filthy habit I know) and had to stop playing for a bit to avoid a blister. But I did take the FET Dream with me to work and showed it off to several students (I teach guitar full-time at a local store). But honestly I may have found my tone with this little pedal (and it is a very little pedal). Very versatile, plenty of usable gain without overly compressing the dynamics (unless you really want it to but you need to dime the Girth and Drive and pound the strings pretty hard). I also briefly tried the Tele with it and after a couple quick tweaks to the knobs I was into really good tone again.

My original intent with buying this pedal was to search for lower gain tones (which it excels at by the way) but I may end up using it as my primary tone for everything now. It sounds that good. Also, if someone else out there has a BB Pro loaded LP, you owe it to yourself to try this pedal out. Wow. I think most lower output pups will really shine with this pedal if your guitar has good acoustic tone to begin with. Again, not all guitars (or LP's
    ) are equal, but if you have a good sounding guitar that needs the perfect overdrive to display your tone, then this pedal may be the one you have been looking for. That being said, I may buy a 2nd FET Dream if I can't decide between using it for the lower gain stuff or the medium gain stuff. Time will tell of course....

All the Best.....

Todd

20. 79stratman

79stratman Member

Oooooh....NICE initial review Todd! :drool

I'm big on the lower-gain range, so your description is encouraging. No LP here, mostly Strats and one modded Tele.

:jo A-l-t-h-o-u-g-h....I do have a prototype Hoffner Verithin and old Harmony Rocket to experiment with too, come to think of it!